Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Thufir

Default how to use top

I read a bit about how to use ps to kill processes:

adminlinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/zombie-process.html

but for "top" it just said to use "top", however, top will only show,
well, the top processes. Can I sort the command column? search the
command column? I end up launching the System Monitor GUI and sorting by
process name to find what I want to kill. Can I do that in top? Or
somehow "scroll" top?

Also, can I sort by process status from top?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM
NoOp

On 11/10/2008 03:34 PM, Thufir wrote:
> I read a bit about how to use ps to kill processes:
>
> adminlinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/zombie-process.html
>
> but for "top" it just said to use "top", however, top will only show,
> well, the top processes. Can I sort the command column? search the
> command column? I end up launching the System Monitor GUI and sorting by
> process name to find what I want to kill. Can I do that in top? Or
> somehow "scroll" top?
>
> Also, can I sort by process status from top?
>
> thanks,
>
> Thufir

Try htop instead.

<http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/using-htop-to-monitor-system-processes-on-linux/>

Don't forget that there is a system monitor applet by default on your
system (gnome-system-monitor). Right click the panel & add System
Monitor. You can kill processes, etc via the gui.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 PM

On Tue, 11. November 2008 00:34:57 Thufir wrote:
> I read a bit about how to use ps to kill processes:
>
> adminlinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/zombie-process.html
>
> but for "top" it just said to use "top", however, top will only show,
> well, the top processes. Can I sort the command column? search the
> command column? I end up launching the System Monitor GUI and sorting by
> process name to find what I want to kill. Can I do that in top? Or
> somehow "scroll" top?
>
> Also, can I sort by process status from top?

Have a look on htop.
htop is a bit easier to use than top.
It's a bit like vim compared with nano, nano shows a menu which vim doesn't,
so does htop. It comes along with a nice menu.

regards,
thomas

Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
"Owen Townend"

2008/11/11 Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com>:
> I read a bit about how to use ps to kill processes:
>
> adminlinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/zombie-process.html
>
> but for "top" it just said to use "top", however, top will only show,
> well, the top processes. Can I sort the command column? search the
> command column? I end up launching the System Monitor GUI and sorting by
> process name to find what I want to kill. Can I do that in top? Or
> somehow "scroll" top?
>
> Also, can I sort by process status from top?
>
> thanks,
>
> Thufir

Hey,

Using top for this is possible, try pushing 'h' to bring up the
simple help menu which shows how to do what you asked.

Alternatively try installing htop
(`sudo aptitude install htop`)
It is a much more friendly version of top is scrollable (including
horizontal scrolling of
the commands) and customizable.

For something closer to topas try atop, it has network throughput and
disk usage stats too.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Montag, den 10.11.2008, 23:34 +0000 schrieb Thufir:
> Also, can I sort by process status from top?

You can move the sort column to the left / right by pressing "<" / ">".

[x] ulf
--
This message represents the official view of the voices in my head.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:34:57 +0000 (UTC)
Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I read a bit about how to use ps to kill processes:
>
> adminlinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/zombie-process.html
>
> but for "top" it just said to use "top", however, top will only show,
> well, the top processes. Can I sort the command column? search the
> command column? I end up launching the System Monitor GUI and sorting by
> process name to find what I want to kill. Can I do that in top? Or
> somehow "scroll" top?
>
> Also, can I sort by process status from top?
>
> thanks,
>
> Thufir

Hi Thufir.

RTFM. I mean:

$ man top

Regards.

Jose.

--
http://www.lordofunix.org/

Not Registered GNU/Hurd User.
Registered BSD User 51101.
Registered Linux User #213309.
Memories..... You are talking about memories.
Rick Deckard. Blade Runner.