Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Chris G

Default xubuntu, everything is too large

I have just installed xubuntu and subsequently set the screen
resolution to my default 1600x1200. It hasn't made everything
anywhere near as small as on previous (ubuntu and fedora) installations.

Previously I had the font size set to 9 but I need to go down to 6 or
so on this xubuntu installation to get the same size fonts.

What's different?

--
Chris Green

Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:51:21 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> I have just installed xubuntu and subsequently set the screen
> resolution to my default 1600x1200. It hasn't made everything
> anywhere near as small as on previous (ubuntu and fedora)
> installations.
>
> Previously I had the font size set to 9 but I need to go down to 6 or
> so on this xubuntu installation to get the same size fonts.
>
> What's different?

Something to do with the way the system is processing DPI now, I think.
You could go into Applications -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> User
Interface Preferences and change the Font DPI, which is just under the
Font. Normally a number divisible by 6, try lowing it to 90 to shrink
the fonts, I think.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:27:04PM -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:51:21 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > I have just installed xubuntu and subsequently set the screen
> > resolution to my default 1600x1200. It hasn't made everything
> > anywhere near as small as on previous (ubuntu and fedora)
> > installations.
> >
> > Previously I had the font size set to 9 but I need to go down to 6 or
> > so on this xubuntu installation to get the same size fonts.
> >
> > What's different?
> >

> Something to do with the way the system is processing DPI now, I think.
> You could go into Applications -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> User
> Interface Preferences and change the Font DPI, which is just under the
> Font. Normally a number divisible by 6, try lowing it to 90 to shrink
> the fonts, I think.

Yes, that was the issue, the default (system set) DPI was wrong. I
set it to the offered value of 100dpi and now things seem about normal.

--
Chris Green