Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Laptop 8.10 problems

I have been having the usual problems with Ubuntu on a lap-top of
new design. Below is what I did to get totem and vlc to display a DVD
movie. It didn't do properly and I have lost all sound, but the picture
is great.

karl@lap-top-linux:~$ sudo wget
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list
--output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
[sudo] password for karl:
--2008-11-10 09:00:38--
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list
Resolving www.medibuntu.org... 87.98.242.110
Connecting to www.medibuntu.org|87.98.242.110|:80... connected.
Length: 230 [text/plain]
Saving to: `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list'

100%[======================================>] 230 --.-K/s in
0s

2008-11-10 09:00:39 (29.6 MB/s) -
`/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list' saved [230/230]

karl@lap-top-linux:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install
medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid Release.gpg
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid/main Translation-en_US
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid/restricted Translation-en_US
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid Release
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid/main Packages
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid/restricted Packages
Err cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid/main Packages
Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get
update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Err cdrom://Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release Candidate i386
(20081022) intrepid/restricted Packages
Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get
update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Get:1 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid Release.gpg
[189B]
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/free
Translation-en_US
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/non-free
Translation-en_US
Get:2 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid Release
[11.7kB]
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid
Release
Get:3 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/free Packages
[3518B]
Get:4 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/non-free Packages
[12.5kB]
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid
Release.gpg
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security Release.gpg
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/restricted Translation-en_US
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/universe Translation-en_US
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/multiverse Translation-en_US
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates Release.gpg
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/restricted
Translation-en_US
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/universe Translation-en_US
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/restricted
Translation-en_US
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/universe Translation-en_US
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/multiverse
Translation-en_US
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/multiverse
Translation-en_US
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid Release
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security
Release
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates
Release
Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main Packages
[1256kB]
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/main
Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/restricted
Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/main
Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/restricted
Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/universe
Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/universe
Sources
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/multiverse
Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/multiverse
Sources
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/restricted Packages
[8408B]
Get:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main Sources
[505kB]
Get:8 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/restricted Sources
[3113B]
Get:9 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/universe Packages
[4542kB]
Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/universe Sources
[1981kB]
Get:11 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/multiverse Packages
[199kB]
Get:12 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/multiverse Sources
[95.8kB]
Get:13 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Packages
[35.0kB]
Get:14 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/restricted Packages
[2447B]
Get:15 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Sources
[15.2kB]
Get:16 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/restricted Sources
[823B]
Get:17 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/universe Packages
[7944B]
Get:18 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/universe Sources
[1472B]
Get:19 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/multiverse Packages
[14B]
Get:20 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/multiverse Sources
[14B]
Fetched 8408kB in 5min15s
(26.6kB/s)
W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid Release: The
following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release
Candidate i386 (20081022)]/dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get
update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release
Candidate i386
(20081022)]/dists/intrepid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please
use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update
cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
karl@lap-top-linux:~$ sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
[sudo] password for karl:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libdvdcss2
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
Need to get 36.8kB of archives.
After this operation, 111kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
libdvdcss2
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get:1 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/free libdvdcss2
1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1 [36.8kB]
Fetched 36.8kB in 2s (18.0kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libdvdcss2.
(Reading database ... 102363 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libdvdcss2 (from .../libdvdcss2_1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
karl@lap-top-linux:~$

I have not a clew what the error message is about. But the whole
thing error included made it possible to display DVD movies. But no
sound. The Ubuntu doesn't even make the noise it used to make when
coming up. Sound is dead!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:00 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

> I have not a clew what the error message is about.

It is about "The following signatures couldn't be verified because the
public key is not available". That is, for some reason the key in the
medibuntu-keyring was not processed correctly.

> But the whole
> thing error included made it possible to display DVD movies.

Otherwise, however, everything looks find, I don't know why DVDs would
not work. Unless there is a problem with the region setting:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs#Setting
%20DVD%20Region%20Codes>

Can you maybe insert a DVD and run "vlc dvd://" on the command line,
then post the output

Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 21:15 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Otherwise, however, everything looks find,
^^^^ <- "fine"

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Karl Larsen

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:00 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I have not a clew what the error message is about.
>>

> It is about "The following signatures couldn't be verified because the
> public key is not available". That is, for some reason the key in the
> medibuntu-keyring was not processed correctly.
>

>> But the whole
>> thing error included made it possible to display DVD movies.
>>

> Otherwise, however, everything looks find, I don't know why DVDs would
> not work. Unless there is a problem with the region setting:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs#Setting
> %20DVD%20Region%20Codes>
>
> Can you maybe insert a DVD and run "vlc dvd://" on the command line,
> then post the output

But whatever caused the DVD movies to be seen ruined ALL sound on my
Intrepid. I had no such problem on this Hardy.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 13:51 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> But whatever caused the DVD movies to be seen ruined ALL sound on
> my Intrepid. I had no such problem on this Hardy.

I don't know. I had no such problems on any distro. To be frank, the
number of problems that you posted on this list in the time I've read it
(maybe 2 years, I dunno) is several times the number of problems I
myself had in total since Slackware 3.0 in 1996.

I do not know what you are doing to your machines, but I cannot take it
anymore. I do not *want* to know what you are doing to your machines, I
want to be free, and it will be the best for you, too, if I don't read
your posts from now on.

Goodbye, good luck to you and to whomever makes the mistake of following
your advice in the future, good riddance, and <plonk>

Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Karl Larsen

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 13:51 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> But whatever caused the DVD movies to be seen ruined ALL sound on
>> my Intrepid. I had no such problem on this Hardy.
>>

> I don't know. I had no such problems on any distro. To be frank, the
> number of problems that you posted on this list in the time I've read it
> (maybe 2 years, I dunno) is several times the number of problems I
> myself had in total since Slackware 3.0 in 1996.
>
> I do not know what you are doing to your machines, but I cannot take it
> anymore. I do not *want* to know what you are doing to your machines, I
> want to be free, and it will be the best for you, too, if I don't read
> your posts from now on.
>
> Goodbye, good luck to you and to whomever makes the mistake of following
> your advice in the future, good riddance, and <plonk>

Thank you for your help in the past. It has been very good and
helped a lot. I will get along as usual.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-12-2008, 03:08 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

>On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 13:51 ->0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> But whatever caused the >DVD movies to be seen ruined >ALL sound on
>> my Intrepid. I had no such >problem on this Hardy.
>
>I don't know. I had no such >problems on any distro. To be >frank, the
>number of problems that you >posted on this list in the time I've >read it
>(maybe 2 years, I dunno) is >several times the number of >problems I
>myself had in total since >Slackware 3.0 in 1996.
>
>I do not know what you are doing >to your machines, but I cannot >take it
>anymore. I do not *want* to know >what you are doing to your >machines, I
>want to be free, and it will be the >best for you, too, if I don't read
>your posts from now on.
>
>Goodbye, good luck to you and to >whomever makes the mistake of >following
>your advice in the future, good >riddance, and <plonk>

Hahaha, sounds like a couple's fight. C'mon kiss and make up again.

To Lars, Google is really your friend. When I was stumbled finding out why Realtek 8187 was not detected on Hardy no matter what I did some time ago, I found an article on OpenSuSE that told me to look over something else and turned out correctly applicable in Ubuntu.

I also had some problem with Intrepid's PulseAudio a while ago (I forgot what exactly) but I solve it by changing settings back to alsa.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465