Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Default System Image

Hello,

I have installed Ubuntu on one of my machine and I would like to have exact image ( all the system software,
downloaded software) on an another machine. Can someone tell how it should be done ?

thanks.

csv

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
"Arthur Johnson"

I assume your not talking about an exact duplicate, you just want the same software correct?

In which case, I've done this on Debian before.* Run the following command on the current machine:

# dpkg --get-selections > packages.list.txt

copy packages.list.txt to the new machine, and run:

# cat packages.list.txt | dpkg --set-selections
# dselect install

The last command I'm not sure about.* dselect doesn't seem to be present on Ubuntu without apt-get install dselect.* You might be able to get away with substituting "apt-get -f install" instead.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

I dont think what Arthur mentions is "an exact image" . There are a few ways you can do this. One method which I have used in the past is udpcast , which effectively works much like Symantec ghost for windows. It clones the source drive contents over a UDP multicast stream over to the destination device. It is quite mature , stable and configurable.

Another way it to use systemimager. Personally I haven't tried it but it has been said that it is very good for large deployments , etc..

If you are looking for the easy way , systemimager is probably easier since I noticed it has extensive GUIs

UDPcast is well documented but if you need something please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
http://www.spinthiras.net/

Old 11-11-2008, 03:04 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

I assume your not talking about an exact duplicate, you just want the same software correct?

In which case, I've done this on Debian before.* Run the following command on the current machine:

# dpkg --get-selections > packages.list.txt

copy packages.list.txt to the new machine, and run:

# cat packages.list.txt | dpkg --set-selections
# dselect install

The last command I'm not sure about.* dselect doesn't seem to be present on Ubuntu without apt-get install dselect.* You might be able to get away with substituting "apt-get -f install" instead.

I have installed Ubuntu on one of my machine and I would like to have exact image ( all the system software,
downloaded software) on an another machine. Can someone tell how it should be done ?

thanks.

csv

Hello,

My two machines are not connected, so I was thinking if there is someway to create the
image on some DVD. A great amount has gone in installing software that I need and many

had to change that I dind't keep track.Therefore, I am looking for exact image.

Your two suggestions are good, and i will look into them.

csv

Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 AM
"Alexis Kotte"

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:
> My two machines are not connected, so I was thinking if there is someway to
> create the
> image on some DVD. A great amount has gone in installing software that I
> need and many
> had to change that I dind't keep track.Therefore, I am looking for exact
> image.
>
> Your two suggestions are good, and i will look into them.

You can also have a look at mondo/mindi: http://www.mondorescue.org
With this you can create boot disks which will install a replica of
the machine you
took the snapshot from.

Cheers,

Alexis Kotte

Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM
"Koh Choon Lin"

>> My two machines are not connected, so I was thinking if there is someway to
>> create the
>> image on some DVD. A great amount has gone in installing software that I
>> need and many
>> had to change that I dind't keep track.Therefore, I am looking for exact
>> image.

Using dd is the best if you require an exact image.

--
In Liberty
Koh Choon Lin

Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Koh Choon Lin <free2sg@gmail.com> wrote:

>> My two machines are not connected, so I was thinking if there is someway to

>> create the

>> image on some DVD. A great amount has gone in installing software that I

>> need and many

>> had to change that I dind't keep track.Therefore, I am looking for exact

>> image.

Using dd is the best if you require an exact image.

--

In Liberty

Koh Choon Lin

Hello,

How it has to be used ? Any example

Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Chaman Singh Verma wrote:

> My two machines are not connected, so I was thinking if there is someway to
> create the
> image on some DVD. A great amount has gone in installing software that I
> need and many
> had to change that I dind't keep track.Therefore, I am looking for exact
> image.
>
> Your two suggestions are good, and i will look into them.

I would suggest finding a way to network or get a USB drive to store the
image and seeing if partimage will work (using a disk like Rescue Is
Possible, RIP) to create the image file...we use a procedure with RIP to
copy lab drives. SATA drive controllers can be iffy in whether Partimage
will see the drive, though.

DD is also an option, but the resulting image can be big unless you look
up coupling it with gzip.

And if you think you'll ever need to copy the data somewhere, makes sure
you get and check md5sums of the resulting datafile.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Koh Choon Lin wrote:
>>> My two machines are not connected, so I was thinking if there is someway to
>>> create the
>>> image on some DVD. A great amount has gone in installing software that I
>>> need and many
>>> had to change that I dind't keep track.Therefore, I am looking for exact
>>> image.
>
> Using dd is the best if you require an exact image.

ddrescue, maybe? dd can have problems if there are bad spots on a drive,
and I thought I saw that if the bad spots are "marked" by the controller
it can still have problems but I'm not sure. I just know that ddrescue
was made to work like dd but has some intelligence in "rescanning"
certain spots.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Joy Methew

hello all,
i want make system image of my linux system like ghost
image in windows.
any body can advice me for this.
thanks.