Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM
"Mario Kofler"

Default setting sensor limits to control fan?

hello,

i already posted this in the ubuntu forum but maybe here i have more luck:

i run intrepid ibex on an acer aspire 1692 and i recognized a message

"setting sensor limits"

during boot up.i wonder if i can change the sensor limits of my fan
during this service.. making it start at a higher CPU temperature.

maybe someone has an idea?

thanks a lot,

greetings,

mario

Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 PM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

> hello,
>
> i already posted this in the ubuntu forum but maybe here i have more luck:
>
> i run intrepid ibex on an acer aspire 1692 and i recognized a message
>
> "setting sensor limits"
>
> during boot up.i wonder if i can change the sensor limits of my fan
> during this service.. making it start at a higher CPU temperature.
>
> maybe someone has an idea?

Hi Mario,
have a look at this about some of the applets available:
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/some-gnome-panel-applets-you-may-not.html

--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM
NoOp

On 11/10/2008 06:34 AM, Mario Kofler wrote:
> hello,
>
> i already posted this in the ubuntu forum but maybe here i have more luck:
>
> i run intrepid ibex on an acer aspire 1692 and i recognized a message
>
> "setting sensor limits"
>
> during boot up.i wonder if i can change the sensor limits of my fan
> during this service.. making it start at a higher CPU temperature.
>
> maybe someone has an idea?

These might be of interest:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/13393/
[Idea #13393: Fan speed control]
w/links:
<http://movingtoubuntu.technicalbloke.co.uk/cpu_temperature_and_fan_speed>
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bfan+control>
http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bfancontrol

Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Mario Kofler

hello,

thanks for the answers! however none of the proposed ideas worked for
me. the main problem is that the command

# sensors-detect

does not detect any sensors on my system:

Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.
If you find out what chips are on your board, check
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for driver status.

HOWEVER the

# sensors

command shows some information about the current temperature of my
cpu, so at least SOME sensor actually is receiving the temperature:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +47.0C (crit = +97.0C)

now i tried to follow some proposed solution to alter this settings
but i dont even find the "acpitz-virtual-0" entry in the
/etc/sensors.conf file.

has anyone some idea how to adjust some kind of "fan-on" value for
this "virtual device"? would be nice to set it to 50C instead of 40C
as it is now.

thanks for any help and

greetings,

mario

Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Mario Kofler <mario.kofler@gmail.com> said:
> hello,
>
> thanks for the answers! however none of the proposed ideas worked for
> me. the main problem is that the command
>
> # sensors-detect

Have you tried it prefixed by sudo:
<sudo sensors-detect>?

Cybe R. Wizard