Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Paul S

Default 64 bit doesn't like me

It seems 64-bit doesn't like something on my pc.

I've tried it 3 times (earlier versions of Ubuntu up to hardy.1) and
same result .. it freezes about once per day. I have no such problems
on 32-bit, so have gone back each time.

Is there any way to figure out what the problem is? I'd like to file a
bug, but have no way to know where.

regards,

Old 11-10-2008, 01:22 PM
"Mark Haney"

Paul S wrote:
> It seems 64-bit doesn't like something on my pc.
>
> I've tried it 3 times (earlier versions of Ubuntu up to hardy.1) and
> same result .. it freezes about once per day. I have no such problems
> on 32-bit, so have gone back each time.
>
> Is there any way to figure out what the problem is? I'd like to file a
> bug, but have no way to know where.
>
> regards,

Hmm, what are your specs? I'll assume it's 64-bit capable, since you
did get it to install and run (sort of). My guess is, it's a kernel
issue, possibly, or, if you have >=4GB RAM the RAM on the upper end of
the range is bad (or maybe needs reseating). 32-bit won't see all 4GB so
that might be the culprit.

(dmesg output would be really helpful here if possible)

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Paul S

Mark Haney said the following on 11/10/2008 09:22 AM:
> Paul S wrote:
>> It seems 64-bit doesn't like something on my pc.
>>
>> I've tried it 3 times (earlier versions of Ubuntu up to hardy.1) and
>> same result .. it freezes about once per day. I have no such problems
>> on 32-bit, so have gone back each time.
>>
>> Is there any way to figure out what the problem is? I'd like to file a
>> bug, but have no way to know where.
>>
>> regards,
>>

> Hmm, what are your specs? I'll assume it's 64-bit capable, since you

Nothing special, just a dell E1505 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo (which
is supposed to support 64-bit).

> did get it to install and run (sort of). My guess is, it's a kernel
> issue, possibly, or, if you have >=4GB RAM the RAM on the upper end of
> the range is bad (or maybe needs reseating). 32-bit won't see all 4GB so
> that might be the culprit.

No it's just 2GB RAM.

> (dmesg output would be really helpful here if possible)

I don't see any error messages in dmesg, nor any of the logs.