Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Chris G

Default Update failing on 8.10 - how to sort it out?

I'm getting an error from Update Manager which says:-

W: Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xorg/xorg_7.4~5ubuntu1_amd64.deb
404 Not Found

What do I need to do to sort this out?

--
Chris Green

Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 AM
"Raseel Bhagat"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

I'm getting an error from Update Manager which says:-

* *W: Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xorg/xorg_7.4~5ubuntu1_amd64.deb

* * *404 Not Found

What do I need to do to sort this out?

--

Chris Green

Hi Chris,

you can try to "Reload" from the Synaptic package manager , OR,
you can simply execute the following command from a terminal :
$ sudo apt-get update

Thanks,
Raseel

Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Chris G

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 05:11:41PM +0530, Raseel Bhagat wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> I'm getting an error from Update Manager which says:-
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> [2]http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xorg/xorg_7.4~5ubuntu1_amd64.deb
> 404 Not Found
>
> What do I need to do to sort this out?
>
> --
> Chris Green
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> you can try to "Reload" from the Synaptic package manager , OR,
> you can simply execute the following command from a terminal :
> $ sudo apt-get update

Of course, thanks, I'd forgotten that keeping the package lists up to
date is a different action from ugrading software.

Why are the two things separated?

--
Chris Green