Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Colin Brace

Default Acer Aspire 4520 WiFi button

Hi all,

This past weekend I upgraded my Acer Aspire notebook to 8.10. For some
reason, I can't get the wireless working.

The 4520 has an Atheros wireless chipset. lspci:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Following the release notes, I installed
“linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-7-generic” which I understand contains
the ath5k module that should support the AR242x chipset.

However, I can't seem to switch the WiFi on. Pressing the WiFi button
has no effect; no LED is switched on or off. Googling the issue, I
encountered this post which alludes to the problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4172878&postcount=105

The writer suggests that it might be necessary to boot Windows (!) to
switch the wireless on. Unfortunately, I erased Vista when I bought the
machine.

FWIW, with my previous Aspire, of which the wireless worked flawless
under Ubuntu, the WiFi interface was activated by default at boot time;
a bright orange LED indicated this.

Any one have any ideas for me?

TIA

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Mike McMullin

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:22 +0100, Colin Brace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This past weekend I upgraded my Acer Aspire notebook to 8.10. For some
> reason, I can't get the wireless working.
>
> The 4520 has an Atheros wireless chipset. lspci:
>
> 07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
> 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
>
> Following the release notes, I installed
> “linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-7-generic” which I understand contains
> the ath5k module that should support the AR242x chipset.

I'm on an Aspire with that chipset and I scrapped the ath5k in favour
of the older mad-wifi which works like a champ after you get it set up.
I dl'ed the driver file from the mad-wifi site, unpacked it, and did the
make and make-install, the down side is that i need to redo those steps
at every kernel update, but my wifi works.

> However, I can't seem to switch the WiFi on. Pressing the WiFi button
> has no effect; no LED is switched on or off. Googling the issue, I
> encountered this post which alludes to the problem:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4172878&postcount=105
>
> The writer suggests that it might be necessary to boot Windows (!) to
> switch the wireless on. Unfortunately, I erased Vista when I bought the
> machine.

Is your wifi switch (software/hardware) turned on?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:19 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@mnsi.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:22 +0100, Colin Brace wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This past weekend I upgraded my Acer Aspire notebook to 8.10. For some
>> reason, I can't get the wireless working.
>>
>> The 4520 has an Atheros wireless chipset. lspci:
>>
>> 07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
>> 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
>>
>> Following the release notes, I installed
>> "linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-7-generic" which I understand contains
>> the ath5k module that should support the AR242x chipset.
>
> I'm on an Aspire with that chipset and I scrapped the ath5k in favour
> of the older mad-wifi which works like a champ after you get it set up.
> I dl'ed the driver file from the mad-wifi site, unpacked it, and did the
> make and make-install, the down side is that i need to redo those steps
> at every kernel update, but my wifi works.
>
>> However, I can't seem to switch the WiFi on. Pressing the WiFi button
>> has no effect; no LED is switched on or off. Googling the issue, I
>> encountered this post which alludes to the problem:
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4172878&postcount=105
>>
>> The writer suggests that it might be necessary to boot Windows (!) to
>> switch the wireless on. Unfortunately, I erased Vista when I bought the
>> machine.
>
> Is your wifi switch (software/hardware) turned on?
>
>> FWIW, with my previous Aspire, of which the wireless worked flawless
>> under Ubuntu, the WiFi interface was activated by default at boot time;
>> a bright orange LED indicated this.
>>
>> Any one have any ideas for me?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Colin Brace
>> Amsterdam
>> http://lim.nl

I've got the same laptop. The button turns the wifi on and off in
Windows and is tied in to the Acer Empowerment software crap you have
to run on it to make the hardware work right. I've look in the Acer
Aspire 4520 BIOS and there is nothing for turning on the wifi adapter,
its done by software.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Colin Brace

Michael Haney wrote:

> I've got the same laptop. The button turns the wifi on and off in
> Windows and is tied in to the Acer Empowerment software crap you have
> to run on it to make the hardware work right. I've look in the Acer
> Aspire 4520 BIOS and there is nothing for turning on the wifi adapter,
> its done by software.

Thanks, Michael. I guess I am screwed. If I hadn't deleted Vista, I could
sell the notebook to a Windows user.

I am disappointed in Acer. I thought the company was gradually becoming more
Linux-friendly.

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Colin Brace

Strange, here is a guy that DID get it working:

http://egoleo.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/howto-enable-wireless-on-acer-4520-on-ubuntu-hardy

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 11-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Karl Larsen

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@mnsi.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:22 +0100, Colin Brace wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This past weekend I upgraded my Acer Aspire notebook to 8.10. For some
>>> reason, I can't get the wireless working.
>>>
>>> The 4520 has an Atheros wireless chipset. lspci:
>>>
>>> 07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
>>> 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
>>>
>>> Following the release notes, I installed
>>> "linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-7-generic" which I understand contains
>>> the ath5k module that should support the AR242x chipset.
>>>
>> I'm on an Aspire with that chipset and I scrapped the ath5k in favour
>> of the older mad-wifi which works like a champ after you get it set up.
>> I dl'ed the driver file from the mad-wifi site, unpacked it, and did the
>> make and make-install, the down side is that i need to redo those steps
>> at every kernel update, but my wifi works.
>>

>>> However, I can't seem to switch the WiFi on. Pressing the WiFi button
>>> has no effect; no LED is switched on or off. Googling the issue, I
>>> encountered this post which alludes to the problem:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4172878&postcount=105
>>>
>>> The writer suggests that it might be necessary to boot Windows (!) to
>>> switch the wireless on. Unfortunately, I erased Vista when I bought the
>>> machine.
>>>
>> Is your wifi switch (software/hardware) turned on?
>>

>>> FWIW, with my previous Aspire, of which the wireless worked flawless
>>> under Ubuntu, the WiFi interface was activated by default at boot time;
>>> a bright orange LED indicated this.
>>>
>>> Any one have any ideas for me?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> --
>>> Colin Brace
>>> Amsterdam
>>> http://lim.nl
>>>

>> --
>>

> I've got the same laptop. The button turns the wifi on and off in
> Windows and is tied in to the Acer Empowerment software crap you have
> to run on it to make the hardware work right. I've look in the Acer
> Aspire 4520 BIOS and there is nothing for turning on the wifi adapter,
> its done by software.

Well my new Compaq has according to lspci the exact same WiFi
devise. So your saying too bad, there is no way to use WiFi on a Linux?
I do have Vista running and it uses WiFi fine. I have the WiFi button
above the keyboard. I too find nothing in BIOS about WiFi.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Karl Larsen

Colin Brace wrote:
> Michael Haney wrote:
>
>> I've got the same laptop. The button turns the wifi on and off in
>> Windows and is tied in to the Acer Empowerment software crap you have
>> to run on it to make the hardware work right. I've look in the Acer
>> Aspire 4520 BIOS and there is nothing for turning on the wifi adapter,
>> its done by software.
>>

> Thanks, Michael. I guess I am screwed. If I hadn't deleted Vista, I could
> sell the notebook to a Windows user.
>
> I am disappointed in Acer. I thought the company was gradually becoming more
> Linux-friendly.
>

> -----
> Colin Brace
> Amsterdam
> http://lim.nl

Hi Colin look in your little book and see if you can't re-load Vista
from a partition on your hard drive. My Compaq has that and it worked
great. I deleted Vista and then re-loaded.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Karl Larsen

Colin Brace wrote:
> Strange, here is a guy that DID get it working:
>
> http://egoleo.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/howto-enable-wireless-on-acer-4520-on-ubuntu-hardy
>

> -----
> Colin Brace
> Amsterdam
> http://lim.nl

I just looked and it all makes sense! I will try it when I get Hardy
onto my Compaq lap-top.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI