-   -   How do I change the default viewer from document viewer to the what I want? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/190713-how-do-i-change-default-viewer-document-viewer-what-i-want.html)

Mark 11-10-2008 06:37 AM

How do I change the default viewer from document viewer to the what I want?

Hi everyone:

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and have been trying to find a way that when I use evolution that when I click the drop down arrow to open the pdf that the default application it will show will be the one I want and not document viewer. Thanks.

Mark

Philip Wyett 11-10-2008 07:13 AM

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 02:37 -0500, Mark wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and have been
> trying to find a way that when I use evolution that when I click the
> drop down arrow to open the pdf that the default application it will
> show will be the one I want and not document viewer. Thanks.
>
> Mark

I answered a variant of this question you posted yesterday.

See:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/165171.html

Please could you keep to threads you create and not just keep posting
new messages as this waists peoples time.

'evolution' which is an email, calendar, planner (PIM) client should
respect and list any additional readers if they are installed when
trying to view an attachment on an email, if this is what you are trying
to do?

Regards

Phil

Philip Wyett 11-10-2008 07:44 AM

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 08:13 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 02:37 -0500, Mark wrote:
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and have been
> > trying to find a way that when I use evolution that when I click the
> > drop down arrow to open the pdf that the default application it will
> > show will be the one I want and not document viewer. Thanks.
> >
> > Mark
>
> I answered a variant of this question you posted yesterday.
>
> See:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/165171.html
>
> Please could you keep to threads you create and not just keep posting
> new messages as this waists peoples time.
>
> 'evolution' which is an email, calendar, planner (PIM) client should
> respect and list any additional readers if they are installed when
> trying to view an attachment on an email, if this is what you are trying
> to do?
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

I'll answer my own query. Installing Adobes pdf reader does not create
the necessary associations within gnome to set the app as default and it
must be done manually. Even ten it does not add facilities to open an
email attachment of the type pdf from within evolution.

This needs some investigation.

Regards

Phil

Mark 11-10-2008 10:10 AM

How do I change the default viewer from document viewer to the what I want?

Hi Phil:

My apologies. I may have overlooked that email by accident and didn't see it. Thank you.

Mark

NoOp 11-10-2008 05:09 PM

On 11/10/2008 12:44 AM, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 08:13 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 02:37 -0500, Mark wrote:
>> > Hi everyone:
>> >
>> > I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and have been
>> > trying to find a way that when I use evolution that when I click the
>> > drop down arrow to open the pdf that the default application it will
>> > show will be the one I want and not document viewer. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Mark
>>
>> I answered a variant of this question you posted yesterday.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/165171.html
>>
>> Please could you keep to threads you create and not just keep posting
>> new messages as this waists peoples time.
>>
>> 'evolution' which is an email, calendar, planner (PIM) client should
>> respect and list any additional readers if they are installed when
>> trying to view an attachment on an email, if this is what you are trying
>> to do?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Phil
>
> I'll answer my own query. Installing Adobes pdf reader does not create
> the necessary associations within gnome to set the app as default and it
> must be done manually. Even ten it does not add facilities to open an
> email attachment of the type pdf from within evolution.
>
> This needs some investigation.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

Perhaps you need to log out & then back in - or restart Evolution? I
show the following 'Open in' options in the dropdown for a PDF in
Evolution 2.22.3.1 on my 8.04.1 Hardy system:

Adobe Reader 8
Document Viewer
pdfedit
GIMP Image Editor
KGhostView
xPDF
KPDF

Note: I have kubuntu programs installed in addition to my Gnome
programs, hence the KPDF etc.

Mario Vukelic 11-11-2008 07:10 PM

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 10:09 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> Perhaps you need to log out & then back in - or restart Evolution? I
> show the following 'Open in' options in the dropdown for a PDF in
> Evolution 2.22.3.1 on my 8.04.1 Hardy system:

Interesting, I have been using Evo for literally ages and had acroread
installed for just as long, and I do not have this option.

Maybe acroread-plugins must be installed (it's also in medibuntu repo).
I don't have this as I despise pdf browser plugins

NoOp 11-12-2008 12:02 AM

On 11/11/2008 12:10 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 10:09 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> Perhaps you need to log out & then back in - or restart Evolution? I
>> show the following 'Open in' options in the dropdown for a PDF in
>> Evolution 2.22.3.1 on my 8.04.1 Hardy system:
>
> Interesting, I have been using Evo for literally ages and had acroread
> installed for just as long, and I do not have this option.
>
> Maybe acroread-plugins must be installed (it's also in medibuntu repo).
> I don't have this as I despise pdf browser plugins

Nope, no acroread-plugins installed - I despise pdf browser plugins as
well :-) I also don't have acroread installed, but instead have the
Adobe adobereader-enu (from the Adobe .deb) file installed.

I suspect that the difference may be that you might not have Adobe
Reader set as a launch option for PDF files. Right click a PDF file in
Nautilus, select Properties|Open With| and ensure that Adobe Reader 8
shows up as a launch/open with option. That will ensure that the launch
mime settings are available for Evolution, as Evolution should naturaly
pick up the launch options that are available in Nautilus.

Mario Vukelic 11-12-2008 06:11 AM

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 17:02 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> I suspect that the difference may be that you might not have Adobe
> Reader set as a launch option for PDF files.

That was it. I was confused, I had wrongly thought we were still talking
about in-line viewing, because the first thread that the OP started
about "acroread in evolution" was about that, IIRC, and I didn't notice
that the topic changed