Old 11-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Bo Grimes

Default Linmodems

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 09:18:58PM -0500, John Heinen wrote:
> I used a usb modem on an OpenSuse operating program, works just fine. On
> another machine I have goody goodyUbuntu and there I have a winmodem.
> Now I found this on the internet "
> http:/linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanmodem.gz. I downloaded it
> on another computer, (win vista), and there it sits on the desktop, this
> might just work for linux to work with winmodems, I don't know yet.
> But how do I get this from the desktop to my ubuntu machine.

Assuming both computers have usb ports, use a thunb drive. If not burn it
to a CD or DVD. Are they networked together in some fashion?

Whatever you do, I hope it works, but I have found in my ten years of Linux
dial-up (until last month when I finally got broadband) that using a real
hardware modem is the best way to go.

What happened to that usb modem? Can you swap the winmodem on Ubuntu for
one in another computer? Check out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005

Here's a review snip:

"Pros: Ubuntu 8.10 recognises this modem by simply plugging it in. It
instantly appears as /dev/ttyACM0. I've owned many modems over several
decades & the performance of this modem is among the best I've seen."

Cost 23 bucks. Save you a lot of headaches.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:36 PM
John Heinen

Bo Grimes wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 09:18:58PM -0500, John Heinen wrote:
>
>> I used a usb modem on an OpenSuse operating program, works just fine. On
>> another machine I have goody goodyUbuntu and there I have a winmodem.
>> Now I found this on the internet "
>> http:/linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanmodem.gz. I downloaded it
>> on another computer, (win vista), and there it sits on the desktop, this
>> might just work for linux to work with winmodems, I don't know yet.
>> But how do I get this from the desktop to my ubuntu machine.
>>

> Assuming both computers have usb ports, use a thunb drive. If not burn it
> to a CD or DVD. Are they networked together in some fashion?
>
> Whatever you do, I hope it works, but I have found in my ten years of Linux
> dial-up (until last month when I finally got broadband) that using a real
> hardware modem is the best way to go.
>
> What happened to that usb modem? Can you swap the winmodem on Ubuntu for
> one in another computer? Check out
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005
>
> Here's a review snip:
>
> "Pros: Ubuntu 8.10 recognises this modem by simply plugging it in. It
> instantly appears as /dev/ttyACM0. I've owned many modems over several
> decades & the performance of this modem is among the best I've seen."
>
> Cost 23 bucks. Save you a lot of headaches.

Yea, thanks Bo, I could swap, but I like to play. It's a good idee,
though, to buy another usb, where did you get it? for 23 $ John H

Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Bo Grimes

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:36:12AM -0500, John Heinen wrote:
> Bo Grimes wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 09:18:58PM -0500, John Heinen wrote:
> >
> >> I used a usb modem on an OpenSuse operating program, works just fine. On
> >> another machine I have goody goodyUbuntu and there I have a winmodem.
> >> Now I found this on the internet "
> >> http:/linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanmodem.gz. I downloaded it
> >> on another computer, (win vista), and there it sits on the desktop, this
> >> might just work for linux to work with winmodems, I don't know yet.
> >> But how do I get this from the desktop to my ubuntu machine.
> >>

> > Assuming both computers have usb ports, use a thunb drive. If not burn it
> > to a CD or DVD. Are they networked together in some fashion?
> >
> > Whatever you do, I hope it works, but I have found in my ten years of Linux
> > dial-up (until last month when I finally got broadband) that using a real
> > hardware modem is the best way to go.
> >
> > What happened to that usb modem? Can you swap the winmodem on Ubuntu for
> > one in another computer? Check out
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005
> >
> > Here's a review snip:
> >
> > "Pros: Ubuntu 8.10 recognises this modem by simply plugging it in. It
> > instantly appears as /dev/ttyACM0. I've owned many modems over several
> > decades & the performance of this modem is among the best I've seen."
> >
> > Cost 23 bucks. Save you a lot of headaches.
> >

> Yea, thanks Bo, I could swap, but I like to play. It's a good idee,
> though, to buy another usb, where did you get it? for 23 $ John H

See link above. That's a link to a 23 dollar modem that works out of the
box with Ubuntu at NewEgg

Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
John Heinen

Bo Grimes wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:36:12AM -0500, John Heinen wrote:
>
>> Bo Grimes wrote:

>>> Assuming both computers have usb ports, use a thunb drive. If not burn it
>>> to a CD or DVD. Are they networked together in some fashion?
>>>
>>> Whatever you do, I hope it works, but I have found in my ten years of Linux
>>> dial-up (until last month when I finally got broadband) that using a real
>>> hardware modem is the best way to go.
>>>
>>> What happened to that usb modem? Can you swap the winmodem on Ubuntu for
>>> one in another computer? Check out
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005
>>>
>>> Here's a review snip:
>>>
>>> "Pros: Ubuntu 8.10 recognises this modem by simply plugging it in. It
>>> instantly appears as /dev/ttyACM0. I've owned many modems over several
>>> decades & the performance of this modem is among the best I've seen."
>>>
>>> Cost 23 bucks. Save you a lot of headaches.
>>>

>> Yea, thanks Bo, I could swap, but I like to play. It's a good idee,
>> though, to buy another usb, where did you get it? for 23 $ John H
>>

> See link above. That's a link to a 23 dollar modem that works out of the
> box with Ubuntu at NewEgg

I've read the review about Neweggs modem, sounds great.
What I did, though, I swapped the usrobotics usbmodem to the ubuntu
computer, no such thing as the reviews of Neweggg Ubuntu keeps
asking questions that I can't answer
Opensuse just accepted it as an old friend.
I am still learning

Old 11-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Bo Grimes

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 01:57:19PM -0500, John Heinen wrote:
> Swapping didn't work out either,the usb modem from opensuse to this
> machine with either ubuntu or kubuntu didn/t work either. My problem is
> how to identify the modem

For a usb modem try typing lsusb in terminal. For pci modem try lspci. It
should show you where the modem is. Won't help with drivers, but at least
you'll see if it's even being detected.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM
John Heinen