Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 AM
"R.H. Nye"

Default Wubi & new users

As a very new newbie, I was able to install Ubuntu*Hardy and*get it running*easier than installing earlier versions of Windows, Linux*and NT4., FWIW.
R.H. Nye
*
*
Message: 13
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:41:08 -0400
From: Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>
Subject: Re: Inquiry
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
*
Eberhard Roloff wrote:
*
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> Or even better for the trepidacious new user, slip the new disk into the
>> drive _while_ you're running Windows and the "Wubi" installer will create
>> file _inside_ your Windows partition and install Ubuntu into that.**Then
>> you can boot into either without trouble.
>>
> On a sidenote:
>
> While I understand Wubi as a rather riskfree way to explore Linux, I
> never recommend Wubi or vmware/vbox installations to newcomers.
>
> Imho these msolutions either depend on the power of the underlying
> windows or are nice but slow through emulation.
*
huh?**Do you have a clue what either wubi or the virtual solutions are?
*
Wubi provides a standard boot into linux on a loopback filesystem, where the
filesystem is a file on the NTFS partition.**The only remote hazard here is
that the filesystem is hosted on an NTFS partition.**Once installed, it has
no dependence on "the underlying windows" and it is slowed only as much as
I/O to any loopback system might be.
*
I wouldn't suggest a virtual solution to newbies, but only because the setup
can be a little complicated - there's no reason at all it should be slow,
provided you have enough memory (on my wife's system, Windows on
virtualbox, itself, is as fast as Windows - unfortunately it takes so much
of her memory, that the host Ubuntu system is a pig...)
--
derek
*