Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Intrepid botches

I just checked and Tango and Cash shows great on Hardy. I have VLC
set up to show dvd movies.

Tried to do the same on Intrepid but got nothing but problems! What
heck is going on? Has anyone got VLC working on Intrepid?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Catalin David

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I just checked and Tango and Cash shows great on Hardy. I have VLC
> set up to show dvd movies.
>
> Tried to do the same on Intrepid but got nothing but problems! What
> heck is going on? Has anyone got VLC working on Intrepid?
>
> Karl

Yeah, it's working on my machine. I thinks it is also the new version,
one I didn't have in Hardy. Still wireless issues, though. :P

Catalin

Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
steve

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I just checked and Tango and Cash shows great on Hardy. I have VLC
> set up to show dvd movies.
>
> Tried to do the same on Intrepid but got nothing but problems! What
> heck is going on? Has anyone got VLC working on Intrepid?
>
> Karl

works ok here karl. did you install the dvd codec from medibuntu
repository?

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better." Abraham Lincoln 1848

Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Karl Larsen

steve wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I just checked and Tango and Cash shows great on Hardy. I have VLC
>> set up to show dvd movies.
>>
>> Tried to do the same on Intrepid but got nothing but problems! What
>> heck is going on? Has anyone got VLC working on Intrepid?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> works ok here karl. did you install the dvd codec from medibuntu
> repository?

I was unable to get the dvd codec from any Intrepid repository. They
all error out as not hearing about libdvd anything. I think Intrepid
stinks but I can't get Hardy to load on this lap top.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I just checked and Tango and Cash shows great on Hardy. I have VLC
> set up to show dvd movies.
>
> Tried to do the same on Intrepid but got nothing but problems! What
> heck is going on? Has anyone got VLC working on Intrepid?

Just watched Ryan Vs. Dorkman as a burned DVD not long ago...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 AM
steve

Karl Larsen wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> I just checked and Tango and Cash shows great on Hardy. I have VLC
>>> set up to show dvd movies.
>>>
>>> Tried to do the same on Intrepid but got nothing but problems! What
>>> heck is going on? Has anyone got VLC working on Intrepid?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> works ok here karl. did you install the dvd codec from medibuntu
>> repository?
>>

> I was unable to get the dvd codec from any Intrepid repository. They
> all error out as not hearing about libdvd anything. I think Intrepid
> stinks but I can't get Hardy to load on this lap top.
>
> Karl

take a look at this first,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

undoubtedly you will need codecs from there as well at some point. then
goto the link below and download the dvd codec. you will be able to
play dvds then.

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html

none of these codecs can be provided by ubuntu for obvious reasons.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 18:22 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I was unable to get the dvd codec from any Intrepid repository.

Well, why the hell did you not mention this in your original post about
the issue?

> They
> all error out as not hearing about libdvd anything.

apt-cache policy libdvdcss2
libdvdcss2:
Installed: 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1
Candidate: 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1
Version table:
*** 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1 0
500 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/free Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> I think Intrepid
> stinks

We know that you do, and just like after every new release there are
indeed a number of problems and the mailing list is more busy. You,
however, are much too quick to blame every problem on Intrepid instead
of looking for the beam in your own eye. Against all previous evidence,
I might add.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Karl Larsen

steve wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:

>>> works ok here karl. did you install the dvd codec from medibuntu
>>> repository?

I tried to but it had an error that I do not understand. I went up
with Software Sources and I clicked on the bottom item which says
Installable from CD-ROM/DVD but still cannot get the thing that works on
Hardy to work.

On Hardy I used

apt-get install libdvdcss

and it worked just fine.

I get a message saying libdvdcss is part of another package that it
cannot let me download.

>> I was unable to get the dvd codec from any Intrepid repository. They
>> all error out as not hearing about libdvd anything. I think Intrepid
>> stinks but I can't get Hardy to load on this lap top.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> take a look at this first,
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

I did look at that and got VERY confused. It is a very busy web page
and has lots of things to try. I have not tried the right thing it appears.

It appears I can run the GUI Software Sources ok, so what must I do
to get the right thing done?
> undoubtedly you will need codecs from there as well at some point. then
> goto the link below and download the dvd codec. you will be able to
> play dvds then.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html

I do not know what the above web page is for. I see no way to get
the proper stuff. But I did d/l libdvdcss from this web page. I forget
where to load a lib and get it working.
> none of these codecs can be provided by ubuntu for obvious reasons.

I realize this but all the care used to make it look like it isn't being
done has me confused.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Karl Larsen

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 18:22 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I was unable to get the dvd codec from any Intrepid repository.
>>

> Well, why the hell did you not mention this in your original post about
> the issue?
>

>> They
>> all error out as not hearing about libdvd anything.
>>

> apt-cache policy libdvdcss2
> libdvdcss2:
> Installed: 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1
> Candidate: 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1
> Version table:
> *** 1.2.10-0.2medibuntu1 0
> 500 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/free Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I have no idea what your doing here but I did exactly what you did
and got:

Installed: none
Candadate: none
Version Table:

This means MAYBE that I do not have the right thing somewhere. This is
why I dislike Intrepid. It took me 5 minutes to set up VLC on Hardy to
watch a DVD movie. It has taken 2 days and counting to do the same thing
on Intrepid.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> said:
> I did look at that and got VERY confused. It is a very busy web
> page and has lots of things to try. I have not tried the right thing
> it appears.

Lots of things? There are three things to do:

1. Add the repositories:
Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" (all on one line in a terminal type):

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list
--output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

2. Then, add the GPG Key (once again, on one line in a terminal type):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo
apt-get update

3. Once that's all done, in a terminal type:

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

Of course, I don't know if it works for Intrepid but it sure does for
Hardy.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.