Old 11-09-2008, 09:30 PM
ike ibekwe

Default my laptop's touchpad stopped working

Hi all,

please i recently upgraded to ubuntu 8.10 and everything seemed ok. now my touchpad has stopped working. i can still use it to left-click and right-click, but i cant move the mouse about. any way out? please?

ike

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger* Get it now!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:35 PM
"ksh shrm"

Maybe u pressed the shortcut key to disable touchpad?

Read ur manual of laptop to enable it.

In ACER laptops the combination is
Function Key + F6

Old 11-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Pastor JW

On Sunday 09 November 2008 2:30:17 pm ike ibekwe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> please i recently upgraded to ubuntu 8.10 and everything seemed ok. now my
> touchpad has stopped working. i can still use it to left-click and
> right-click, but i cant move the mouse about. any way out? please?

Man, I wish you could tell me how you did that!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:29:55PM -0800, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Sunday 09 November 2008 2:30:17 pm ike ibekwe wrote:
> > please i recently upgraded to ubuntu 8.10 and everything seemed ok. now my
> > touchpad has stopped working. i can still use it to left-click and
> > right-click, but i cant move the mouse about. any way out? please?
>
> Man, I wish you could tell me how you did that!

The following is what I used to automatically turn off the touchpad when typing
starts, and turn it on again a selected number of seconds after I stop typing.
That avoids the need to support one's thumbs with rubber bands to the
ceiling.

IIRC, a recent post indicated problems with syndaemon on the latest
ubuntu version, which is also reported to have an emasculated
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. However, if you've been cautious enough to avoid the
bleeding edge, you can use:

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, add the comment and following line: >>>

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
# To allow touchpad to be turned off:
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection
<<<

To provide automatic disabling during typing, use: syndaemon -i 1 -d
Default re-enable interval is: i = 2 seconds

On ubuntu, this may be inserted in:
System>Preferences>Sessions>Startup_Programs

Manual runtime touchpad disabling:
synclient touchpadoff=[0|1] # 0 = On, 1 = Off.

To list touchpad options, and their current settings: synclient -l

If you have moved to Ibex, then you may be on a backwardly incompatible
beast.

Erik

--
I have long felt that most computers today do not use electricity. They
instead seem to be powered by the "pumping" motion of the mouse!