Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 PM
David Christensen

Default ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386 LTS how to make items on screen smaller?

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> You can change the size of file icons and the like by opening any file
> manager window, menu File -> Preferences.

Thanks for the reply. :-)

If I choose Places -> Home Folder, the application title bar says
"dpchrist - File Browser". Choosing Edit -> Preferences, the Views tab
provides List View Defaults -> Default zoom level, which was at 50%.
Changing this to 33% helps.

Later, I right-clicked on Applications, chose Edit Menus, and enabled
Applications -> Accessories -> File Browser.

> Font size is on the top panel, menu System -> Preferences -> Appearance
> -> tab Fonts. dpi settings are on this tab under the Details button.

Thanks -- I missed that before. Changing the DPI from 96 to 80 helps.

> Panel size: rightclick panel -> Properties

The General tab -> Size control was at 24. Changing it to 20 helps on
the panel with window names (name of panel?).

But, the Applications Places System panel (name of panel?) has graphic
shortcuts whose size does not change. Right-clicking and choosing
Properties doesn't offer a "Use Small Icons", etc., option. Does
anybody know how to adjust these?

In Thunderbird, I seem to have a couple of settings:

1. View -> Text Size -> Increase and Decrease menu items.

2. Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Fonts dialog.

3. View -> Toolbars -> Customize -> Use small icons.

At this point, the menu bar text, mail tool bar text, status bar text,
folders pane text, and messages pane text of the main Thunderbird window
are still larger than I'd like. The same goes for the menu bar text,
tool bar text, and headers fields for a compose window. Does anybody
know how to adjust these?

David