Old 11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Nils Kassube

Default Dual Booting?

George Papastamopoulos wrote:
> Hi, I'm going to install ubuntu v. 8.10 but I want to keep my XP
> installation as well. Is there a way that I can boot both OSs through
> the NT loader that comes with windows XP?

While Windows is running, insert the Ubuntu LiveCD. Select "install within
Windows" and then select a drive with sufficient space (at least 5GB,
better 10GB). That will install Ubuntu to a file on your Windows disk. At
boot time you can choose between Windows and Ubuntu - it uses the Windows
boot manager to select the OS.

Nils

Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 PM
"ksh shrm"

If u dont get that option

Download Wubi from http://wubi-installer.org/
and download image file of Ubuntu from Ubuntu's site and keep them in same directory and run wubi.

Restart when it asks to and then after a fast install u can enjoy it.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Christopher J Combrink

George,

Insert the Ubuntu 8.10 CD, reboot your PC and install. It will ask you
nicely if you'd like to keep your XP and dual boot.

It then takes the liberty of providing you with a 'boot menu' - namely
grub.

When fully installed your PC will sit on this grub menu for a couple
seconds, allowing you to boot into XP.

CJC

George Papastamopoulos wrote:

Hi, I'm going to install ubuntu v.
8.10 but I want to keep my XP installation as well. Is there a way that
I can boot both OSs through the NT loader that comes with windows XP?
*
Thanks in advance.