Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
"Manuel Gómez"

Default Accept only "smtp.gmail.com" and "pop.gmail.com", how i could do that?

Hi, i would like accept only smtps and pop3s on my OS and i only want to know how accept "smtp.gmail.com" and "pop.gmail.com" in my icedove.

I allow the IPs (pop.gmail.com, smtp,gmail.com) but the connection doesn't works, what i could allow? I know how to use my firewall (it works allowing all smtps and pop3s connections), so i would like to learn how allow specifically these connections.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. I need help, so i have posted in several mailing lists, i just wish that i could be forgiven.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
"Manuel Gómez"

Old 11-10-2008, 12:25 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Sunday 09 November 2008 11:37, Manuel Gómez wrote:
> I allow the IPs (pop.gmail.com, smtp,gmail.com) but the connection doesn't
> works, what i could allow?

Basically, I'm not sure you've given me enough information to diagnose and
suggest a solution to your problem. How do you know your firewall is
allowing you do connect to those IPs on those ports: telnet, nc, just
guessing from the configuration, or other? How have you configured icedove?
What is the message or behavior that make you think "the connection doesn't
works"?

> Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. I need help, so i have posted
> in several mailing lists, i just wish that i could be forgiven.

You can, but only if you actually do better in the future. Make sure the post
is topical to the list. debian-user is only appropriate if the post is
Debian related, ubuntu-users is only appropriate if the post is Ubuntu
related. I assume you've been having this problem on both Debian and Ubuntu,
right? shorewall-users is only appropriate if the post is shorewall related.
I guess you use shorewall for your firewall, right? snort-users is only
appropriate if the post is snort-related. I suppose you might be using snort
as part of your firewall solution, right?

Cross posting to many lists in genally frowned upon, though. If would have
better ettiquete to determine on your own if snort or shorewall was at fault
and post to just that list. If you couldn't determine which (if either) of
those was at fault then only send to the OS list (debian-user or
ubuntu-users) and let them diagnose with you and possibly refer to you one of
the other lists, with more information to provide to them.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))