Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Bruce Corbin

Default Linux as a virtual machine on Windows

Hi,

I have been assigned the task of writing the following OS installation
procedures:

1&2) Linux only (Ubuntu & Fedora 6)
3) Win XP only
4&5) dual boot (XP/Ubuntu &XP/Fedora 6)
6&7) Linux (Ubuntu & Fedora 6) emulating Windows (Wine?)
8&9) Windows with Linux running as a Virtual Machine.

I'm not actually a computer guy. I don't play one on TV. I didn't even
stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But, I am the one that takes
the "useless" old and slow Windows boxes and makes very useful Linux
based test equipment out of them. Thus, I got the task.

I have never actually installed Fedora, but I assume that between
tutorials and my Debian/Ubuntu experience I can probably figure it out.
Previous (failed) attempts to install RPMs on boxes set up by someone
else have made me a big fan of Debian/Ubuntu.

I have done XP installs and dual boot Ubuntu installs. Any links to
good tutorials would be appreciated since I haven't done it in over a
year, but I don't have much doubt that I, with a little Googling, can do
a dual boot in two or three tries.

I have never attempted to use or install Wine. I can Google it and
probably muddle through it. Any suggestions, links, tales of problems,
etc would be appreciated. Is Wine my only choice? Is it the best choice?

The last item is where I am really hoping for some help. Over the years
I have heard "virtual machine" so many times that I have no doubt that
I can Google up a year or two of reading. I don't have a year or two to
devote to it. Any suggestions on packages to use to run Linux as a
virtual machine on Windows XP? A few years ago I attempted something
like this after a segment by Leo Leporte on "The Screen Savers". I got
nowhere and I spent several hours doing it. Also, are there any big
issues/differences when trying to set one box up for Ubuntu on XP and
another box for Fedora 6 on XP?

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 11-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Robert Hodgins

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 11:46 -0500, Bruce Corbin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been assigned the task of writing the following OS installation
> procedures:
>
> 1&2) Linux only (Ubuntu & Fedora 6)
> 3) Win XP only
> 4&5) dual boot (XP/Ubuntu &XP/Fedora 6)
> 6&7) Linux (Ubuntu & Fedora 6) emulating Windows (Wine?)
> 8&9) Windows with Linux running as a Virtual Machine.
>

> I'm not actually a computer guy. I don't play one on TV. I didn't even
> stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But, I am the one that takes
> the "useless" old and slow Windows boxes and makes very useful Linux
> based test equipment out of them. Thus, I got the task.
>
> I have never actually installed Fedora, but I assume that between
> tutorials and my Debian/Ubuntu experience I can probably figure it out.
> Previous (failed) attempts to install RPMs on boxes set up by someone
> else have made me a big fan of Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> I have done XP installs and dual boot Ubuntu installs. Any links to
> good tutorials would be appreciated since I haven't done it in over a
> year, but I don't have much doubt that I, with a little Googling, can do
> a dual boot in two or three tries.
>
> I have never attempted to use or install Wine. I can Google it and
> probably muddle through it. Any suggestions, links, tales of problems,
> etc would be appreciated. Is Wine my only choice? Is it the best choice?
>
> The last item is where I am really hoping for some help. Over the years
> I have heard "virtual machine" so many times that I have no doubt that
> I can Google up a year or two of reading. I don't have a year or two to
> devote to it. Any suggestions on packages to use to run Linux as a
> virtual machine on Windows XP? A few years ago I attempted something
> like this after a segment by Leo Leporte on "The Screen Savers". I got
> nowhere and I spent several hours doing it. Also, are there any big
> issues/differences when trying to set one box up for Ubuntu on XP and
> another box for Fedora 6 on XP?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Check this site out: http://www.howtoforge.com/

Search for "falko timme". His "Perfect Desktop" series is quite useful
for installations.

A search for "wine" at howtoforge turns up many articles that might be
useful to you. Another option is Crossover (at www.codeweavers.com.)

Still with howtoforge, a search for virtualbox gave this link (among
others): http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualbox_ubuntu

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Robert Hodgins

Oops! That last link had the guest and host reversed. Sorry! Check this one out instead:
http://randomconsultant.blogspot.com/2008/06/setting-up-ubuntu-on-virtualbox-windows.html

Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 11:46 -0500, Bruce Corbin wrote:
Any links to
> good tutorials would be appreciated since I haven't done it in over a
> year,

The Ubuntu guides would be a good start:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation (the official guide is
linked from there)

The material is licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/License

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

> Is Wine my only choice? Is it the best choice?

For what?

> The last item is where I am really hoping for some help. Over the years
> I have heard "virtual machine" so many times that I have no doubt that
> I can Google up a year or two of reading. I don't have a year or two to
> devote to it. Any suggestions on packages to use to run Linux as a
> virtual machine on Windows XP?

You can use Virtualbox, some of whose editions are free. I would guess
that the official user manuals are a good place to look:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

You can also use vmware. They even have virtual appliances on their
website that have Ubuntu preinstalled. That is, you can download a
virtuam machine that already has Ubuntu installed and run it straight
away in vmware: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1224

Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Bruce Corbin

Mario Vukelic wrote:

good tutorials would be appreciated since I haven't done it in over a
year,

The Ubuntu guides would be a good start:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation (the official guide is
linked from there)

The material is licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/License

I have never attempted to use or install Wine. I can Google it and
probably muddle through it. Any suggestions, links, tales of problems,
etc would be appreciated.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

Is Wine my only choice? Is it the best choice?

For what?

That's a good question.* I don't know the actual application.* I guess
for now "good" would involve me setting up a demonstration machine that
works well.* Low initial investments of time and money would be
desired.* Demonstrating a machine that runs several applications well
is probably as far as I need to go.*

Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Mario & Bruce,

You can use Virtualbox, some of whose editions are free. I would guess
that the official user manuals are a good place to look:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

*** Just be aware that the free version, titled OSE, can't access USB
ports. You need a paid version for that. It has the advantage of being
in the repos & is installed automagically from apt or synaptic.

*** I use it to run XP on my 8.04 system and have had no problems that
I haven't caused myself

See ya

Ken

Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 21:08 -0500, Bruce Corbin wrote:
> That's a good question. I don't know the actual application. I guess
> for now "good" would involve me setting up a demonstration machine
> that works well. Low initial investments of time and money would be
> desired. Demonstrating a machine that runs several applications well
> is probably as far as I need to go.

I see. In this case, pick interesting applications that work well from
the Wine compatibility database:
http://appdb.winehq.org/

An alternative (costs money, but guarantees that some applications work
has a nice configuration application) might be Codeweaver's Crossover, a
commercial variant of Wine. They are good citizens and give back to the
Wine project:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

However, when showing off your demo you need to emphasize that
compatibility must be evaluated on an app-per-app basis. Just because
application A works must not mean that B will work, too

Old 11-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 16:32 +1000, Ken McLennan wrote:
> It has the advantage of being in the repos & is installed
> automagically from apt or synaptic.

He wants to run VBox on Windows and run Ubuntu in a virtual machine.
They do not have such advanced fancy stuff like repos and working
package managers in Windows

Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Derek Broughton

Ken McLennan wrote:

> G'day there Mario & Bruce,
>
>> You can use Virtualbox, some of whose editions are free. I would guess
>> that the official user manuals are a good place to look:
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
>>
> Just be aware that the free version, titled OSE, can't access USB
> ports. You need a paid version for that.

bzzt. Sorry, but no. You need a non-Free version for that. It is,
nevertheless, free-as-in-beer.

> It has the advantage of being
> in the repos & is installed automagically from apt or synaptic.

and the non-free version is available from sun repos and installable
automagically.

--
derek

Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Nils Kassube

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ken McLennan wrote:
> > G'day there Mario & Bruce,
> >
> >> You can use Virtualbox, some of whose editions are free. I would
> >> guess that the official user manuals are a good place to look:
> >> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
> >
> > Just be aware that the free version, titled OSE, can't access USB
> > ports. You need a paid version for that.
>
> bzzt. Sorry, but no. You need a non-Free version for that. It is,
> nevertheless, free-as-in-beer.

Well, for commercial use you do need a paid version. The "free-as-in-beer"
version you are talking about comes with the PUEL. From
<http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL>:

| In summary, the VirtualBox PUEL allows you to use VirtualBox free of
| charge
| - for personal use or, alternatively,
| - for product evaluation.
|
| In addition, academic use of VirtualBox is also permitted free of charge
| by the PUEL.
|
| If you do not belong to either category, you will have to purchase a
| commercial license. Do not hesitate to contact Sun Microsystems, Inc. in
| this matter.

Nils