Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
"Verde Denim"

Default tablet

I've been offered a gift from my parents of a pda.
I was looking through the archives for something that I can hack with regarding Linux, and found the N770.
The N800 seems to be an upgrade from this. Would the N800 be a better choice?

Or are there other suggestions as well...

Thanks for the help.

Jack

Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Linda

Verde Denim wrote:
> I've been offered a gift from my parents of a pda.
> I was looking through the archives for something that I can hack with
> regarding Linux, and found the N770.
> The N800 seems to be an upgrade from this. Would the N800 be a better
> choice?
> Or are there other suggestions as well...
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Jack

You might find this helpful the Linux Journal devoted a lot of space to
handhelds and gadgets in this months issue
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9724
Linda

Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
NoOp

On 11/10/2008 04:13 PM, Linda wrote:
> Verde Denim wrote:
>> I've been offered a gift from my parents of a pda.
>> I was looking through the archives for something that I can hack with
>> regarding Linux, and found the N770.
>> The N800 seems to be an upgrade from this. Would the N800 be a better
>> choice?
>> Or are there other suggestions as well...
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Jack
>>
> You might find this helpful the Linux Journal devoted a lot of space to
> handhelds and gadgets in this months issue
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9724
> Linda

I've not tried it, but Ubuntu just recently put out a mobile edition:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile

Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 AM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 11/10/2008 04:13 PM, Linda wrote:

> Verde Denim wrote:

>> I've been offered a gift from my parents of a pda.

>> I was looking through the archives for something that I can hack with

>> regarding Linux, and found the N770.

>> The N800 seems to be an upgrade from this. Would the N800 be a better

>> choice?

>> Or are there other suggestions as well...

>> Thanks for the help.

>> Jack

> You might find this helpful the Linux Journal devoted a lot of space to

> handhelds and gadgets in this months issue

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9724

> * * * * * * Linda

I've not tried it, but Ubuntu just recently put out a mobile edition:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile

The Linux Journal article is a good review. And I'm reading up on Ubuntu mobile. What seems funny is that these devices seem to say they do everything _except_ act as* a cellular phone...
Do these devices actually work as a phone as well?
*

Old 11-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Gary Baribault

I have an N800 and find it quite good .. There is the N810 which
exchanges one memory (SD) slot and the FM Radio chip for a GPS and a
physical keyboard, but I'll stick with the N800. It runs a version of
Linux based on Debian and is a lot of fun. I now use it as my
PDA/PIM/MP3 and ultra small NetBook .. Some folks add an external
bluetooth keyboard, but I have an Aspire One for when I need a real
keyboard and a larger monitor. (running IBEX of course).

Gary Baribault
Courriel: gary@baribault.net
GPG Key: 0x4346F013
GPG Fingerprint: BCE8 2E6B EB39 9B23 6904 1DF4 C4E6 2CF7 4346 F013

Old 11-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Gary Baribault

They will do VoIP with a WiFi link (B/G) but not real cell phone calls.
I have read that there is now a version of the N810 that has some Cell
phone connectivity, but havent seen it. I prefer a separate Cell phone,
the N8x0 is kind of big for a phone.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:41 PM
"Heike C. Zimmerer"

"Verde Denim" <tdldev@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been offered a gift from my parents of a pda.
> I was looking through the archives for something that I can hack with
> regarding Linux, and found the N770.
> The N800 seems to be an upgrade from this. Would the N800 be a better
> choice?

Yes, since the N770 is not supported by Nokia any more. Also, the N800
is much more stable than the N770.

Heike

Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 PM
"Verde Denim"

I do like all of the features of the 800, but really need a reliable communication device as well. The concern I have with the wi-fi/voip capability is that it isn't as available as a cell phone network.
I haven't heard of any nationwide services offered in this arena yet (although I'm sure there will be eventually). I have skype service now, and it's mostly ok, although there are times when the calls drop off or the quality is really bad. Maybe I'm just asking for too much in one device....

Old 11-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Rick Bilonick

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 20:31 -0500, Verde Denim wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/10/2008 04:13 PM, Linda wrote:
> > Verde Denim wrote:
> >> I've been offered a gift from my parents of a pda.
> >> I was looking through the archives for something that I can
> hack with
> >> regarding Linux, and found the N770.
> >> The N800 seems to be an upgrade from this. Would the N800
> be a better
> >> choice?
> >> Or are there other suggestions as well...
> >>
> >> Thanks for the help.
> >>
> >> Jack

Nokia no longer manufactures the 770 and 800 AFAIK. The latest model is
the N810 which runs Maemo. You can also run debian on it with a little
effort. Check out http://www.maemo.org for a start.

Rick B.