Old 11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
"Jury Levykin"

Default How To disable sleep mode in 8.10?

Hi,
I have a problem with sleep mode in Ubuntu 8.10.
8.04 did not have this problem.

My laptop go to sleep and can not be waked up then.
I set "Put computer to sleep when inactive for: Never" in Power
Manager Preferences.
But laptop go to sleep all the same

Is it possible to disable sleep mode?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 AM
"Jury Levykin"

May be remove gnome-power-manager to prevent putting computer to sleep?
Continually putting computer to sleep and wake up via powerOff -
powerOn is a problem for me!

Anybody except for me reproduces this problem?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 AM
"Kim Briggs"

On 11/9/08, Jury Levykin <jury.levykin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with sleep mode in Ubuntu 8.10.
> 8.04 did not have this problem.
>
> My laptop go to sleep and can not be waked up then.
> I set "Put computer to sleep when inactive for: Never" in Power
> Manager Preferences.
> But laptop go to sleep all the same
>
> Is it possible to disable sleep mode?

Hi JL,

Is it possible there could be a bug in the screen saver that is
causing it to turn off more than the screen? What is the timing on
the screen saver?

Also, I'm pretty sure you can disable sleep mode, but I only know a
"nuke the site from orbit" method: In the file /boot/grub/menu.lst,
you can add the option "noacpi" to leave out the Advanced
Configuration and Power Interface completely.

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic -noacpi

Hopefully, you get a better solution that that.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 AM
"Jury Levykin"

Screen saver timing is 10 minutes.

I have noticed that screen saver (in 8.10) did not wake up after mouse
move event only after key press on keyboard.
It is more possible screen saver have bugs.

I will try use -noacpi today in the evening.

Thanks a lot!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:57 AM
"Amit Joshi"

2008/11/11 Kim Briggs:

> Is it possible there could be a bug in the screen saver that is

> causing it to turn off more than the screen? *What is the timing on

> the screen saver?

> Also, I'm pretty sure you can disable sleep mode, but I only know a

> "nuke the site from orbit" method: *In the file /boot/grub/menu.lst,

> you can add the option "noacpi" to leave out the Advanced

> Configuration and Power Interface completely.

> title * * * * * Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic * -noacpi

> Hopefully, you get a better solution that that.

<trim>
I use KDE and I haven't come across a screensaver that responds to mouse movements. So be assured that its not a bug.
I think to wake up you should have a resume=/dev/hdxx option in your kernel line (where /dev/hdxx is your Swap partition). Try it out and see if it works.

Amit Joshi