Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Glenn Holmer

Default new machine; no sound

I just bought a new machine and put Intrepid on it (32-bit), but have no
sound. It's a quad-core Xeon, with a Super Micro X7DA8 board, and I
took a SoundBlaster Audigy SB1394 from my previous machine and put it in
the new one. I disabled the onboard AC 97 audio via jumper (verified by
running "asoundconf list" both ways). Volume is normal, nothing is
muted, etc.

I had a chat with Mr. Google and ended up taking this advice:

but it didn't help. All the diagnostics show that the sound card is
there (lshw, lspci, etc.) and the PulseAudio Manager looks normal (the
volume meters move when I play a file), but there's no output. I tested
with headphones plugged directly into the card. I know the card is
still good because I swapped it back into the previous machine, plugged
headphones into it, and played a .wav file.

I'm confused because all the diagnostics seem to show that the card is
working properly, but I have no output. Suggestions?

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org

Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 09 November 2008 09:12, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> I just bought a new machine and put Intrepid on it (32-bit), but have no
> sound. It's a quad-core Xeon, with a Super Micro X7DA8 board, and I
> took a SoundBlaster Audigy SB1394 from my previous machine and put it in
> the new one. I disabled the onboard AC 97 audio via jumper (verified by
> running "asoundconf list" both ways). Volume is normal, nothing is
> muted, etc.
>
> I had a chat with Mr. Google and ended up taking this advice:

> but it didn't help. All the diagnostics show that the sound card is
> there (lshw, lspci, etc.) and the PulseAudio Manager looks normal (the
> volume meters move when I play a file), but there's no output. I tested
> with headphones plugged directly into the card. I know the card is
> still good because I swapped it back into the previous machine, plugged
> headphones into it, and played a .wav file.
>
> I'm confused because all the diagnostics seem to show that the card is
> working properly, but I have no output. Suggestions?
>
> --
> "After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
> Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org

Hi Glenn.

First the caveats. I'm currently finishing off the download of Kubuntu 8.10
(on dialup), having already dl'd Ubuntu 8.10, but neither are installed yet.
I don't use Pulseaudio, and have it disabled in Fedora8, 9, and Kubuntu HH
8.04. I use KDE, and am a bit clueless about Gnome.

Now there's a good start, but I have had some success in helping folks with
sound problems.

Can you post the output of, cat /proc/asound/cards . Your Audigy card should
be card0. Sometimes problematic drivers can insist on grabbing card0. The
same goes, if you have any audio related devices plugged into the USB, a
webcam, usb midi keyboard, etc, and snd-usb-audio has grabbed card0, and your
Audigy card has been relegated to card1.

You could post the output of, lsmod | grep snd , just to see which modules
are loaded.

Also have a look in /etc/group. Your user name should be in the audio group,
and if it exists, the pulse group.

Which app are you using to play sounds? There is usually in it's audio
settings an option to use alsa directly, or other options. As you say though
that the Pulse Audio Manager indicates that the file is playing, perhaps that
bit is ok.

What does alsamixer show, when you open it as user in a terminal. I know on
Fedora 9, it only showed one slider before I disabled Pulseaudio, and after
that, several sliders for my hda intel card.

All I can think of at the moment.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 17:55 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I tested with headphones plugged directly into the card.

Did you try other jacks, or only the headphone out (or line out). On
some cards the driver messes up which jack is connected to which output
stream/sink/whateverthecorrectname.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

> On Sunday 09 November 2008 09:12, Glenn Holmer wrote:
>> I just bought a new machine and put Intrepid on it (32-bit), but have no
>> sound. It's a quad-core Xeon, with a Super Micro X7DA8 board, and I
>> took a SoundBlaster Audigy SB1394 from my previous machine and put it in
>> the new one. I disabled the onboard AC 97 audio via jumper (verified by
>> running "asoundconf list" both ways). Volume is normal, nothing is
>> muted, etc.
hi Glenn,
did you check ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf?
it should start with something like:

!defaults.pcm.card CARD
defaults.ctl.card CARD

replacing "CARD" by the ident given by asoundconf

I have a quad-core with an Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard, and I get
sound with either the integrated Intel card or the Soundblaster Live,
just changing the CARD parameter .
(I had problems with Hardy, but Intrepid seems better, at least for that)

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
elmo

Glenn Holmer wrote:
> I just bought a new machine and put Intrepid on it (32-bit), but have no
> sound. It's a quad-core Xeon, with a Super Micro X7DA8 board, and I
> took a SoundBlaster Audigy SB1394 from my previous machine and put it in
> the new one. I disabled the onboard AC 97 audio via jumper (verified by
> running "asoundconf list" both ways). Volume is normal, nothing is
> muted, etc.
>
> I had a chat with Mr. Google and ended up taking this advice:

> but it didn't help. All the diagnostics show that the sound card is
> there (lshw, lspci, etc.) and the PulseAudio Manager looks normal (the
> volume meters move when I play a file), but there's no output. I tested
> with headphones plugged directly into the card. I know the card is
> still good because I swapped it back into the previous machine, plugged
> headphones into it, and played a .wav file.
>
> I'm confused because all the diagnostics seem to show that the card is
> working properly, but I have no output. Suggestions?

Not to suggest that it's the answer to the problem but I had no sound on
a new computer until I "discovered " that the volume control on the
speaker system was turned completely off. The volume control looked
like a round snap on cover on one of the speakers.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Glenn Holmer

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 20:01 +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 November 2008 09:12, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> >> I just bought a new machine and put Intrepid on it (32-bit), but have no
> >> sound. It's a quad-core Xeon, with a Super Micro X7DA8 board, and I
> >> took a SoundBlaster Audigy SB1394 from my previous machine and put it in
> >> the new one. I disabled the onboard AC 97 audio via jumper (verified by
> >> running "asoundconf list" both ways). Volume is normal, nothing is
> >> muted, etc.
> hi Glenn,
> did you check ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf?
> it should start with something like:
>
> !defaults.pcm.card CARD
> defaults.ctl.card CARD
>
> replacing "CARD" by the ident given by asoundconf
>
> I have a quad-core with an Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard, and I get
> sound with either the integrated Intel card or the Soundblaster Live,
> just changing the CARD parameter .
> (I had problems with Hardy, but Intrepid seems better, at least for that)

Yes, tried that. Tried with the on-board audio both enabled and
disabled (via motherboard switch; no BIOS setting).

!defaults.pcm.card Audigy
defaults.ctl.card Audigy

Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Glenn Holmer

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 17:55 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 09 November 2008 09:12, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> > I just bought a new machine and put Intrepid on it (32-bit), but have no
> > sound. It's a quad-core Xeon, with a Super Micro X7DA8 board, and I
> > took a SoundBlaster Audigy SB1394 from my previous machine and put it in
> > the new one. I disabled the onboard AC 97 audio via jumper (verified by
> > running "asoundconf list" both ways). Volume is normal, nothing is
> > muted, etc.
> >
> > I had a chat with Mr. Google and ended up taking this advice:
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=866965
> >
> > but it didn't help. All the diagnostics show that the sound card is
> > there (lshw, lspci, etc.) and the PulseAudio Manager looks normal (the
> > volume meters move when I play a file), but there's no output. I tested
> > with headphones plugged directly into the card. I know the card is
> > still good because I swapped it back into the previous machine, plugged
> > headphones into it, and played a .wav file.
> >
> > I'm confused because all the diagnostics seem to show that the card is
> > working properly, but I have no output. Suggestions?

> First the caveats. I'm currently finishing off the download of Kubuntu 8.10
> (on dialup), having already dl'd Ubuntu 8.10, but neither are installed yet.
> I don't use Pulseaudio, and have it disabled in Fedora8, 9, and Kubuntu HH
> 8.04. I use KDE, and am a bit clueless about Gnome.

Ouch.

> Can you post the output of, cat /proc/asound/cards . Your Audigy card should
> be card0. Sometimes problematic drivers can insist on grabbing card0. The
> same goes, if you have any audio related devices plugged into the USB, a
> webcam, usb midi keyboard, etc, and snd-usb-audio has grabbed card0, and your
> Audigy card has been relegated to card1.

With the onboard sound disabled, I get:

0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [Unknown]
Audigy 1 [Unknown] (rev.3, serial:0x5a1102) at 0x4000, irq 16

> You could post the output of, lsmod | grep snd , just to see which modules
> are loaded.

snd_emu10k1_synth 14464 0
snd_emux_synth 41216 1 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_seq_virmidi 13568 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_midi_emul 14592 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_emu10k1 146208 4 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_ac97_codec 110372 1 snd_emu10k1
ac97_bus 9856 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 46720 0
snd_mixer_oss 22784 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 83332 3 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 16264 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem 12416 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 15236 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
snd_seq_dummy 10884 0
snd_seq_oss 38400 0
snd_seq_midi 14336 0
snd_rawmidi 29696 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 15232 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 57776 9 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,s nd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi _event
snd_timer 29832 3 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 15116 8 snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_s eq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_ seq
snd 63268 19 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac9 7_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwde p,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_se q_device
soundcore 15328 1 snd

> Also have a look in /etc/group. Your user name should be in the audio group,
> and if it exists, the pulse group.

audio:x:29ulse,cenbe,shadowm
pulse:x:115:shadowm
pulse-access:x:116:shadowm
pulse-rt:x:117:shadowm

> Which app are you using to play sounds? There is usually in it's audio
> settings an option to use alsa directly, or other options. As you say though
> that the Pulse Audio Manager indicates that the file is playing, perhaps that
> bit is ok.

aplay <filename>
aplay -Dhw:0 <filename>
play <filename>

> What does alsamixer show, when you open it as user in a terminal. I know on
> Fedora 9, it only showed one slider before I disabled Pulseaudio, and after
> that, several sliders for my hda intel card.

Shows only Master (Pulseaudio).

If I do alsamixer -Dhw:0 I get all the controls for the Audigy.

If I kill pulseaudio with "pulseaudio -k", then "alsamixer" shows the
Audigy controls, but still no sound.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Glenn Holmer

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 20:01 +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> did you check ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf?

Open volume control, select "Switches" tab, de-select "Audigy
Analog/Digital Output Jack". All fixed.