Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 AM
"Francisco Borges"

Default simple compiz questions (intrepid)

Hello,

I am trying to get started with compiz but there are some things I can't figure out:

1. How can I set compiz to start by default? I found information on the net talking about system -> settings -> desktop effects, but I don't have a "desktop effects" option on Intrepid. Am I missing a package or something?

2. I normally use * a 3 x 2 workspace. With compiz on I can cycle through the workspaces side ways but not up & down. Is there something I should do or check?

3. Once I start compiz, say with "compiz --replace", I lose the window bars. I tried using "gtk-window-decorator --replace" but this didn't give me my windows topbars again. Any hints?

Thanks in advance for any information,
--
Francisco

Old 11-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 12:56 +0100, Francisco Borges wrote:
> 1. How can I set compiz to start by default?
> I found information on the net talking about system -> settings ->
> desktop effects, but I don't have a "desktop effects" option on
> Intrepid. Am I missing a package or something?

System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> tab Visual Effects, but it seems
that it is not being saved correctly:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/253606

> 2. I normally use a 3 x 2 workspace. With compiz on I can cycle
> through the workspaces side ways but not up & down. Is there something
> I should do or check?

What you see is just the default settings. There are a million ways to
configure compiz. You need to install compizconfig-settings-manager,
which will put a menu entry somewhere in System IIRC. Then you can lose
yourself in your compiz config. Don't forget to eat and drink

> 3. Once I start compiz, say with "compiz --replace", I lose the window
> bars. I tried using "gtk-window-decorator --replace" but this didn't
> give me my windows topbars again. Any hints?

Dunno, I never started it this way. You might find hints in
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/ConfiguringCompiz

Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Larry Shields

Francisco Borges wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get started with compiz but there are some things I
> can't figure out:
>

> 1. How can I set compiz to start by default? I found information on
> the net talking about system -> settings -> desktop effects, but I
> don't have a "desktop effects" option on Intrepid. Am I missing a
> package or something?
>

> 2. I normally use a 3 x 2 workspace. With compiz on I can cycle
> through the workspaces side ways but not up & down. Is there something
> I should do or check?
>

> 3. Once I start compiz, say with "compiz --replace", I lose the window
> bars. I tried using "gtk-window-decorator --replace" but this didn't
> give me my windows topbars again. Any hints?
>

> Thanks in advance for any information,
> --
> Francisco
*What I use is compiz-git, which installs everything you need to have
compiz work...

Check GOOGLE for the URL...

Larry
*