Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 AM
hippie dream

Default Trouble Logging In as Root

Hello,

I am having trouble logging in as root on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10.
During the setup process, I was prompted to give a password which I can use
perfectly to install programs and make most changes. However, I think the
system only set me up as a administrator because when I try to login as root
I receive this message:

sam@sam-laptop:~$ su root
Password:
su: Authentication failure
sam@sam-laptop:~$

Am I missing something really obvious here? How can setup my computer so
that I can login as root? I have all my files backed up so if another fresh
install is required that is certainly as possibility.

Thanks for your help.

Sam

Old 11-09-2008, 06:41 AM
"Wael Shahin"

Hi,

Most probably you have been using the sudo to install software which uses the password of your current logged on account.
ROOT password on the other hand is not the same.

If you want to su to root then try to reset the root's password first

# sudo passwd root
# >ENTER YOUR ACCOUNT PASSWORD<

then enter the password you desire for root. and when done you can use the new password to # su

Regards,
Wael

Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 AM
"Owen Townend"

2008/11/9 hippie dream <tonightsthenight@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble logging in as root on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10.
> During the setup process, I was prompted to give a password which I can use
> perfectly to install programs and make most changes. However, I think the
> system only set me up as a administrator because when I try to login as root
> I receive this message:
>
> sam@sam-laptop:~$ su root
> Password:
> su: Authentication failure
> sam@sam-laptop:~$
>
> Am I missing something really obvious here? How can setup my computer so
> that I can login as root? I have all my files backed up so if another fresh
> install is required that is certainly as possibility.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Sam

Hey,
Ubuntu doesn't set a password on the root account by default.
All root interaction is through sudo, gksudo etc.
The password you set during installation was your own user password
and you should have been added as an admin with full sudo rights.
Simply use `sudo -i` to get a root shell. (check the sudo man page
for other options)

If you want to be able to use the root login in the traditional way
just use `sudo passwd` to set a root password.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 AM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

> I am having trouble logging in as root on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10.
> During the setup process, I was prompted to give a password which I can
> use
> perfectly to install programs and make most changes. However, I think the
> system only set me up as a administrator because when I try to login as
> root
> I receive this message:
>
> sam@sam-laptop:~$ su root
> Password:
> su: Authentication failure
> sam@sam-laptop:~$
>
> Am I missing something really obvious here? How can setup my computer so
> that I can login as root? I have all my files backed up so if another
> fresh
> install is required that is certainly as possibility.

No panic Sam,
there is by default no password for root. However, your administrator
login gives you the right to act as root, which you use ever so offten
when you install programs or edit various system configurations.
If you want to run anything that needs root privilege, then:

$ sudo yourCommand

or if it's a graphic application:

$ gksu yourCommand

The password you give sudo is your normal login password.

Google for: ubuntu sudo root password
or something if you need more explanation.

--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 AM
hippie dream

Perfect. Thank you very much.

Sam

Old 11-09-2008, 06:47 AM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

hippie dream wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble logging in as root on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10.
> During the setup process, I was prompted to give a password which I can use
> perfectly to install programs and make most changes. However, I think the
> system only set me up as a administrator because when I try to login as root
> I receive this message:
>
> sam@sam-laptop:~$ su root
> Password:
> su: Authentication failure
> sam@sam-laptop:~$
>
> Am I missing something really obvious here? How can setup my computer so
> that I can login as root? I have all my files backed up so if another fresh
> install is required that is certainly as possibility.

Hi,

Ignore the advice to set a root password. To do things that need root
privileges, for example to install software, do:

sudo apt-get install foo

I keep a root shell open most of the time, which I get by doing:

sudo -i

When you're prompted for the password, just enter the password that you
assigned to the first account you created.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Glenn Holmer

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 20:39 +1100, James Gray wrote:
> <pedantic>
> Actually, there *IS* a password for root:
>
> #cat /etc/passwd /etc/shadow | grep root
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> root:*:13755:0:99999:7:::

As long as we're being pedantic... you get the prize for "useless use of
cat"

grep root /etc/passwd /etc/shadow

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org

Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Mario Vukelic

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo