-   -   Intrepid problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/190194-intrepid-problems.html)

Karl Larsen 11-09-2008 12:39 AM

Intrepid problems

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/08/2008 04:56 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/
>>>

>> Well that tells me I can get joe. It is in a server but I CAN'T GET
>> MY stuff to get it. What can be the problem?
>>

>> Karl
>>

> As is Thunderbird. I suggest that you check your software
> sources/repositories & /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> My _guess_ is that your sources are screwed up. What do you see when you
> do a standard 'sudo apt-get update'?
I just did the update and am getting 20 packages. It looks at least
to me to be working right.

> If you see errors then that should
> provide a clue.
There appear to be no errors on the updates. I guess in fact I am using
bad resorces for the other things. Now the Update Manager is giving me
152 updates. I think maybe it will be ok tomorrow :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Charlie Kravetz 11-09-2008 12:41 AM

Intrepid problems

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:06:08 -0700
Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Jim Smith wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> >> I got Intrepid on my new lap top but it has some wierd
> >> problems. I tried to
> >>
> >> sudo apt-get install thunderbird and joe and get the no such
> >> packages response.
> >>
> >> Is there no software like that for Intrepid?
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>

> > Joe exists, its on my Intrepid system.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Yes I know but I can't figure out why MY intrepid can't d/l it.
> And I seem not to be getting any updates either. It loaded just fine.
>
> Karl

Why not use the Synaptic Package Manager? does it show them?
I think thunderbird is mozilla-thunderbird.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

NoOp 11-09-2008 12:52 AM

Intrepid problems

On 11/08/2008 05:39 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> If you see errors then that should
>> provide a clue.
> There appear to be no errors on the updates. I guess in fact I am using
> bad resorces for the other things. Now the Update Manager is giving me
> 152 updates. I think maybe it will be ok tomorrow :-)

I suspect we all will :-)

You still might want to check your repo & select an alternate, perhaps

ftp.utexas.edu

You can check using Applications|Software Sources|Download from|Other
and check 'United States'. Note: 'Select Best Server' isn't very
reliable either; it just uses ping to test the servers. For instance, I
just checked and it selects Thailand as my best 'th.archive.ubuntu.com'
and that's just plain silly -- I use ftp.usf.edu (University of San
Francisco) as it's nearby and has never failed me yet. Plus it's about
30 miles from me & has always provided full speed downloads.

Walter Garcia-Fontes 11-09-2008 03:41 PM

Intrepid problems

* Karl Larsen [09/11/08 02:10]:
> Yes I know but I can't figure out why MY intrepid can't d/l it. And
> I seem not to be getting any updates either. It loaded just fine.

It would be useful to get help if you paste the output that you get
from "cat /etc/apt/sources.list" at a terminal window.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona

Karl Larsen 11-09-2008 05:41 PM

Intrepid problems

Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> * Karl Larsen [09/11/08 02:10]:
>
>> Yes I know but I can't figure out why MY intrepid can't d/l it. And
>> I seem not to be getting any updates either. It loaded just fine.
>>

> It would be useful to get help if you paste the output that you get
> from "cat /etc/apt/sources.list" at a terminal window.

The problem was with the source for the software. All of a sudden I
got a request to send me 130 new updates and after that I was able to
apt-get install joe and thunderbird.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI