Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 PM
tux

Default Mail announce in Thunderbird (Ubuntu 8.04)

I would have a .wav announcent sound in Thunderbird. The default setting
of using system sound does not make a sound. I have tried to select a
sound but Thunderbird does not see any wave files even though they are
where it is looking. How do I get Thunderbird to see the .wav files or
set a system sound for new mail?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Ray Parrish

I use a .wav file for my mail download announcement, so I'm sure you can
use one. I just checked in preferences in Thunderbird, and it will
*only* let me choose .wav files, so I don't know why yours won't let you.

Try just typing the path and filename of the .wav file in the Location
box of the file selection dialog that occurs after you select Browse
from the main settings dialog. You may have to first click the icon in
the top left corner of the file selection dialog to see the Location
box. [the icon looks like a sheet of paper]

Later, Ray Parrish

tux wrote:
> I would have a .wav announcent sound in Thunderbird. The default setting
> of using system sound does not make a sound. I have tried to select a
> sound but Thunderbird does not see any wave files even though they are
> where it is looking. How do I get Thunderbird to see the .wav files or
> set a system sound for new mail?

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 11-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Larry Shields

tux wrote:
> I would have a .wav announcent sound in Thunderbird. The default setting
> of using system sound does not make a sound. I have tried to select a
> sound but Thunderbird does not see any wave files even though they are
> where it is looking. How do I get Thunderbird to see the .wav files or
> set a system sound for new mail?

*At the point of using a .wav sound in Thunderbird, click on brouse, go
to /usr/share/sounds, and choose which sound that you would like...

I use KDE_Beep_Lightning.wav...There are many more, also you can
download any .wav file and put it in your own dir., then use the same
format to use it as in the above...

Hope this helps...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
tux

Couldn't type but could paste but still no sound.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 PM
tux

I tried this too but still no sound just the pop-up window at the bottom
left of screen.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Larry Shields

tux wrote:
> I tried this too but still no sound just the pop-up window at the bottom
> left of screen.
>
> Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> *At the point of using a .wav sound in Thunderbird, click on brouse, go
>> to /usr/share/sounds, and choose which sound that you would like...
>>
>> I use KDE_Beep_Lightning.wav...There are many more, also you can
>> download any .wav file and put it in your own dir., then use the same
>> format to use it as in the above...
>>
>> Hope this helps...
>>
>> Larry
>> *

*Do you have any sound at all on your system...???

I had sound when I first installed Intrepid, but made a mistake at some
point and lost all sound, so I gave up and reinstalled intrepid...I now
have my sound back, vlc, mplayer all work just fine, I also have
limewire it also works...

So did you have sound when you first installed intrepid, if so, you
might thing about reinstalling it and start new...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
tux

Larry Shields wrote:
> tux wrote:
>
>> I tried this too but still no sound just the pop-up window at the bottom
>> left of screen.
>>
>> Larry Shields wrote:
>>

>>> *At the point of using a .wav sound in Thunderbird, click on brouse, go
>>> to /usr/share/sounds, and choose which sound that you would like...
>>>
>>> I use KDE_Beep_Lightning.wav...There are many more, also you can
>>> download any .wav file and put it in your own dir., then use the same
>>> format to use it as in the above...
>>>
>>> Hope this helps...
>>>
>>> Larry
>>> *
>>>

> *Do you have any sound at all on your system...???
>
> I had sound when I first installed Intrepid, but made a mistake at some
> point and lost all sound, so I gave up and reinstalled intrepid...I now
> have my sound back, vlc, mplayer all work just fine, I also have
> limewire it also works...
>
> So did you have sound when you first installed intrepid, if so, you
> might thing about reinstalling it and start new...
>
> Larry
> *

Yes,sort of. Works on startup and shutdown. I just test it on
http://flowplayer.org/ and it worked but when I tested Sound Preferences
it did not. Devices were set on autodect. I tried all the other choices
and they worked when tested. I left them on OSS (Open Sound System).
Still no sound on Sound Preference - Sounds. They were working yesterday.

When I set a sound in Thunderbird other than default sound (which I
don't think there is one), when there is new mail my screen gets dark
and have to force quit Thunderbird.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Ray Parrish

tux wrote:
> Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> tux wrote:
>>

>>> I tried this too but still no sound just the pop-up window at the bottom
>>> left of screen.

>> *Do you have any sound at all on your system...???
>>
>> I had sound when I first installed Intrepid, but made a mistake at some
>> point and lost all sound, so I gave up and reinstalled intrepid...I now
>> have my sound back, vlc, mplayer all work just fine, I also have
>> limewire it also works...
>>
>> So did you have sound when you first installed intrepid, if so, you
>> might thing about reinstalling it and start new...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>

> Yes,sort of. Works on startup and shutdown. I just test it on
> http://flowplayer.org/ and it worked but when I tested Sound Preferences
> it did not. Devices were set on autodect. I tried all the other choices
> and they worked when tested. I left them on OSS (Open Sound System).
> Still no sound on Sound Preference - Sounds. They were working yesterday.
>
> When I set a sound in Thunderbird other than default sound (which I
> don't think there is one), when there is new mail my screen gets dark
> and have to force quit Thunderbird.

Hi there!

Just jumping in with a note. I had the email notification sound working
in Hardy until I installed compiz. After that was installed, the email
notification would freeze Thunderbird up and require a reboot to get rid
of it.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Larry Shields

tux wrote:
> Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> tux wrote:
>>

>>> I tried this too but still no sound just the pop-up window at the bottom
>>> left of screen.

>> *Do you have any sound at all on your system...???
>>
>> I had sound when I first installed Intrepid, but made a mistake at some
>> point and lost all sound, so I gave up and reinstalled intrepid...I now
>> have my sound back, vlc, mplayer all work just fine, I also have
>> limewire it also works...
>>
>> So did you have sound when you first installed intrepid, if so, you
>> might thing about reinstalling it and start new...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>

> Yes,sort of. Works on startup and shutdown. I just test it on
> http://flowplayer.org/ and it worked but when I tested Sound Preferences
> it did not. Devices were set on autodect. I tried all the other choices
> and they worked when tested. I left them on OSS (Open Sound System).
> Still no sound on Sound Preference - Sounds. They were working yesterday.
>
> When I set a sound in Thunderbird other than default sound (which I
> don't think there is one), when there is new mail my screen gets dark
> and have to force quit Thunderbird.

*Hello Tux,

I just looked at what I have here with sound preferences, here they are:
The top three are all Autodetect.
Sound Capture is ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
The default Mixer tracks: Device Capture:ALSA PCM on front:0 (VIA 8237)
via DMA (Pulse Audio)
Then is shows MASTER below...

As for your screen going dark, I think it is looking for the sound and
can't find it, just a guess...

If you want I can send you a .wav file, for your to put say in your home
dir., name it sounds, then go to thunderbird, where it shows the sound,
click the brouse and go to your your home dir, for sounds, click on the
.wav file...Then try it out...Send yourself a message to see if it works...

Also in sound preferences, check PLAY SOUND EFFECTS...

Larry

*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 PM
tux

Larry Shields wrote:
> *Hello Tux,
>
> I just looked at what I have here with sound preferences, here they are:
> The top three are all Autodetect.
> Sound Capture is ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
> The default Mixer tracks: Device Capture:ALSA PCM on front:0 (VIA 8237)
> via DMA (Pulse Audio)
> Then is shows MASTER below...

I put back/changed to above.
> As for your screen going dark, I think it is looking for the sound and
> can't find it, just a guess...

That's what I thought too.
> If you want I can send you a .wav file, for your to put say in your home
> dir., name it sounds, then go to thunderbird, where it shows the sound,
> click the brouse and go to your your home dir, for sounds, click on the
> .wav file...Then try it out...Send yourself a message to see if it works...

I already did that and the wave play
> Also in sound preferences, check PLAY SOUND EFFECTS...
>
> Larry
Did that too.

I locked up my computer twice messing with this. Thanks but I think I
will give up on this.