Old 11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
NoOp

Default Logitec LX7 - How do I configure my mouse?

On 11/08/2008 03:38 PM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 12:13:16 -0800
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 11/08/2008 02:09 AM, R Kimber wrote:
>> > How can I configure my mouse buttons?
>> >
>> > I have a logitech LX7 cordless mouse with 4 actual buttons and a
>> > wheel.
>> >
>> > I need the left thumb button (which seems to be recognised as
>> > button 8) to be able to paste from the clipboard. This worked with
>> > 8.04, but it doesn't with 8.10. I can't see any configuration
>> > options in System->Preferences.
>> >
>> > Is there a stand alone program that will achieve this?
>> >
>> > Or is there a file somewhere to edit?
>> >

>> These might help:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2BLX7
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/201937
>> refers to:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/173833>
>> that last has the fixes.
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> Unless I've misunderstood the above, they refer to getting the buttons
> to be recognised. My problem is that the button is recognised (and,
> indeed in Firefox it works as 'back to previous page'), but I want to
> get it to work across all applications as 'paste from the clipboard'.
>
> It all worked fine in 8.04
>
> I've been looking at imwheel, but the documentation is (to me)
> incomprehensible. I can't find any statement, e.g., as to what the
> various fields in imwheelrc represent, and what format the actions I
> need (e.g. paste) take.
>
> - Richard

Unfortunately I don't have that mouse, or intrepid installed, so I can't
be of any further help. I've changed the subject to help attract more
attention to the actual issue & hope that helps.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 PM
R Kimber

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:07:55 -0800
NoOp wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't have that mouse, or intrepid installed, so I
> can't be of any further help. I've changed the subject to help
> attract more attention to the actual issue & hope that helps.

Thanks. Though I don't think it's specifically a Logitech LX7 issue.
The button is recognised, and works as 'back' in Firefox. I think it's
a Gnome/X11 question of how to assign an action to a button. I'm a bit
surprised there isn't a gui way of configuring such a crucial input
device as a mouse.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 AM
R Kimber

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 23:17:35 +0000
R Kimber wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:07:55 -0800
> NoOp wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately I don't have that mouse, or intrepid installed, so I
> > can't be of any further help. I've changed the subject to help
> > attract more attention to the actual issue & hope that helps.
>
> Thanks. Though I don't think it's specifically a Logitech LX7 issue.
> The button is recognised, and works as 'back' in Firefox. I think
> it's a Gnome/X11 question of how to assign an action to a button. I'm
> a bit surprised there isn't a gui way of configuring such a crucial
> input device as a mouse.

I find after trying KDE that in its mouse settings section it says:-

"You have a logitech mouse, and libusb was found at compile time, but
it was not possible to access this mouse. This is possibly caused by a
permissions problem - you should consult the manual on how to fix this."

What manual?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber