Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Scott

Default Moved from Kubuntu to Ubuntu and have questions

Hi,

if any kind people are willing to help I have a few questions.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1: Is there a GTK/Gnome bittorrent client anything like Ktorrent?
2: Is there a GTK/Gnome equivalent to Amarok?
3: Is there any desktop widgets for the Gnome desktop like SuperKaramba?
4: Is there any way yet to get a split panel view in Nautilus?

I understand I can run KDE programs with a Gnome desktop and I will if I
can not find equivalents I like. I just prefer Gnome/GTK programs now
that I am using Gnome.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 8.10

Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2008 01:56 PM, Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if any kind people are willing to help I have a few questions.
> Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 1: Is there a GTK/Gnome bittorrent client anything like Ktorrent?

Applications|Internet|BiTorrent

> 2: Is there a GTK/Gnome equivalent to Amarok?

Amarok is released independently & works in Gnome. Rythmbox is installed
by default in Ubuntu.

> 3: Is there any desktop widgets for the Gnome desktop like SuperKaramba?
> 4: Is there any way yet to get a split panel view in Nautilus?
No. But you can try:

Pcmanfm (Tabbed - but you can easily open added windows & drag & drop):
<http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/install-tabbed-file-manager-in-ubuntu/>
http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/

sudo apt-get install pcmanfm

[Will appear in Applications|System Tools|PC Man File Manger]

Gnome-Commander (Split panel):
http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/

sudo apt-get install gnome-commander

Will appear in Applications|Accessories|Gnome Commander

There are others, but those are the only two that I've used.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Scott

NoOp wrote:
>> 1: Is there a GTK/Gnome bittorrent client anything like Ktorrent?
>
> Applications|Internet|BiTorrent
I tried TRansmission and it seems to basic for me. I like all the
additional information Ktorrent gives.

>> 3: Is there any desktop widgets for the Gnome desktop like SuperKaramba?
>> 4: Is there any way yet to get a split panel view in Nautilus?
> No. But you can try:
Really, what I want is something that displays system resources uses and
hard drive usage statistics on the desktop. It does not need to be a
widget, but that is what I used in Kubuntu.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:35 AM
squareyes

Scott wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>>> 1: Is there a GTK/Gnome bittorrent client anything like Ktorrent?
>>>
>> Applications|Internet|BiTorrent
>>
> I tried TRansmission and it seems to basic for me. I like all the
> additional information Ktorrent gives.
>

>>> 3: Is there any desktop widgets for the Gnome desktop like SuperKaramba?
>>> 4: Is there any way yet to get a split panel view in Nautilus?
>>>
>> No. But you can try:
>>
> Really, what I want is something that displays system resources uses and
> hard drive usage statistics on the desktop. It does not need to be a
> widget, but that is what I used in Kubuntu.

Hi,
have you tried gkrellm?
Take Care
Winton

Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 21:45 -0500, Scott wrote:

> > Applications|Internet|BiTorrent
> I tried TRansmission and it seems to basic for me. I like all the
> additional information Ktorrent gives.

apt-cache search bittorrent

If you are into complexity and lots of info, you will like Vuze
(formerly known as Azureus)

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 16:56 -0500, Scott wrote:
> 3: Is there any desktop widgets for the Gnome desktop like SuperKaramba?

Gdesklets

> 4: Is there any way yet to get a split panel view in Nautilus?

No, but tabs and you can drag and drop stuff to the tab

Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Scott

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> If you are into complexity and lots of info, you will like Vuze
> (formerly known as Azureus)
I used Azureus in the past and liked it, but Vuze looks like it is meant
for downloading movies. Is it still used for other kinds of downloads,
like downloading Ubuntu .iso's?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 11:43 -0500, Scott wrote:
> I used Azureus in the past and liked it, but Vuze looks like it is
> meant for downloading movies. Is it still used for other kinds of
> downloads, like downloading Ubuntu .iso's?

I haven't used it in a while because Transmission fits my needs, but why
wouldn't it? A .torrent is a .torrent, no?

Anyway, why not simply trying it out, that's the beauty of package
management systems and free (as in beer, this time) software: nothing is
farther away than an "aptitude install *", and removed without a trace
by an "aptitude purge *"

Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Scott

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> I haven't used it in a while because Transmission fits my needs, but why
> wouldn't it? A .torrent is a .torrent, no?
One thing I need for sure is protocol encyption; my ISP provider does
bandwidth throttling. How do you turn that on in Transmission? I
checked Wikipedia and it states Transmission haves protocol encryption.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 09:07 -0500, Scott wrote:
> One thing I need for sure is protocol encyption; my ISP provider does
> bandwidth throttling. How do you turn that on in Transmission? I
> checked Wikipedia and it states Transmission haves protocol encryption.

I don't need it, but a check of the manual quickly revealed (in FAQ)
that you need to check Edit -> Preferences -> Peers -> Ignore
unencrypted peers.

http://www.transmissionbt.com/help/gtk/1.3x/html/FAQ.html