Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Wade Smart

Default Compaq Pesario CQ50-139WM

Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I bought the subject lap top this morning and of course it has Vista
>> Basic on it. At any Wal Mart they are on sale for $298.00 plus tax. I am
>> letting Vista get updated and then will load Hardy.
>>
>> It's a real good looking lap top.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> I am having trouble loading any Linux on the subject lap top. I
> tried 2 LiveCD of Hardy and they error out to Busybox always. I tried
> the 8.10 LiveCD and it comes up fine but I'm having a problem. Here is
> what it looks like to GParted:
>
> /dev/sda1 ntfs 139.71 GB using 20.54 GB UNused 119.17
> /dev/sda2 ntfs label PRESARIO_RP 9.34 GB using 7.64
> Unallocated 1.34 MB
>
> Need to get some of /dev/sda1, like 100 GB moved to Unallocated but
> it has an error every time I try to Resize/Move /dev/sda1. What am I
> doing wrong?
>
> Karl

20081108 1249 GMT-5

What is the error?

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 11-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Karl Larsen

Wade Smart wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> I bought the subject lap top this morning and of course it has Vista
>>> Basic on it. At any Wal Mart they are on sale for $298.00 plus tax. I am
>>> letting Vista get updated and then will load Hardy.
>>>
>>> It's a real good looking lap top.
>>>

>>> Karl
>>>

>> I am having trouble loading any Linux on the subject lap top. I
>> tried 2 LiveCD of Hardy and they error out to Busybox always. I tried
>> the 8.10 LiveCD and it comes up fine but I'm having a problem. Here is
>> what it looks like to GParted:
>>
>> /dev/sda1 ntfs 139.71 GB using 20.54 GB UNused 119.17
>> /dev/sda2 ntfs label PRESARIO_RP 9.34 GB using 7.64
>> Unallocated 1.34 MB
>>
>> Need to get some of /dev/sda1, like 100 GB moved to Unallocated but
>> it has an error every time I try to Resize/Move /dev/sda1. What am I
>> doing wrong?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> 20081108 1249 GMT-5
>
> What is the error?
>
> Wade

I can't find any error data. This is of course on the LiveCD and
things are not the same as with a real computer. I have no idea where to
look :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Wade Smart

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> I am having trouble loading any Linux on the subject lap top. I
>>> tried 2 LiveCD of Hardy and they error out to Busybox always. I tried
>>> the 8.10 LiveCD and it comes up fine but I'm having a problem. Here is
>>> what it looks like to GParted:
>>>
>>> /dev/sda1 ntfs 139.71 GB using 20.54 GB UNused 119.17
>>> /dev/sda2 ntfs label PRESARIO_RP 9.34 GB using 7.64
>>> Unallocated 1.34 MB
>>>
>>> Need to get some of /dev/sda1, like 100 GB moved to Unallocated but
>>> it has an error every time I try to Resize/Move /dev/sda1. What am I
>>> doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> 20081108 1249 GMT-5
>>
>> What is the error?
>>
>> Wade
>>

> I can't find any error data. This is of course on the LiveCD and
> things are not the same as with a real computer. I have no idea where to
> look :-)
>
> Karl

20081108 1309 GMT-6

When you use gparted on the livecd, I think you have to unmount sda1
before you can make any changes to it.

Up in the top tool bar there is a option to unmount.

Wade

Old 11-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Karl Larsen

Wade Smart wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Wade Smart wrote:

>>> 20081108 1249 GMT-5
>>>
>>> What is the error?
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>

>> I can't find any error data. This is of course on the LiveCD and
>> things are not the same as with a real computer. I have no idea where to
>> look :-)
>>
>> Karl
>>

> 20081108 1309 GMT-6
>
> When you use gparted on the livecd, I think you have to unmount sda1
> before you can make any changes to it.
>
> Up in the top tool bar there is a option to unmount.
>
> Wade

I didn't think there was such a thing but when I can I will load it
back up and look for that. But I figured it was always unmounted when
using a LiveCD. But who knows?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Mike McMullin

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 12:05 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:

> >> I am having trouble loading any Linux on the subject lap top. I
> >> tried 2 LiveCD of Hardy and they error out to Busybox always. I tried
> >> the 8.10 LiveCD and it comes up fine but I'm having a problem. Here is
> >> what it looks like to GParted:
> >>
> >> /dev/sda1 ntfs 139.71 GB using 20.54 GB UNused 119.17
> >> /dev/sda2 ntfs label PRESARIO_RP 9.34 GB using 7.64
> >> Unallocated 1.34 MB
> >>
> >> Need to get some of /dev/sda1, like 100 GB moved to Unallocated but
> >> it has an error every time I try to Resize/Move /dev/sda1. What am I
> >> doing wrong?
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>

> > 20081108 1249 GMT-5
> >
> > What is the error?
> >
> > Wade
> >

> I can't find any error data. This is of course on the LiveCD and
> things are not the same as with a real computer. I have no idea where to
> look :-)
>
> Karl

More than likely the sda2 partition is going to be used for backup
images and is physically located right next the sda1 partition. My Acer
laptop had three partitions, one hidden with the restore image on it,
the main with Win-XPMedia edition, and the third for the backup images,
so what's on sda2? because you may need to nuke it, and replace it
during re-partitioning.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Karl Larsen

Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 12:05 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Wade Smart wrote:

>>> 20081108 1249 GMT-5
>>>
>>> What is the error?
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>

>> I can't find any error data. This is of course on the LiveCD and
>> things are not the same as with a real computer. I have no idea where to
>> look :-)
>>
>> Karl
>>

> More than likely the sda2 partition is going to be used for backup
> images and is physically located right next the sda1 partition. My Acer
> laptop had three partitions, one hidden with the restore image on it,
> the main with Win-XPMedia edition, and the third for the backup images,
> so what's on sda2? because you may need to nuke it, and replace it
> during re-partitioning.

Well I did have to remove the big partition that had Vista that was
/dev/sda1. I then made a new partition that was 20 GB and then a 15 GB
for Linux and 2 GB swap. I loaded 8.10 without problem.

The read the book that came with the lap-top and used the re-install
from the hard drive instructions and it worked just fine!

But now I am having troubles with 8.10 which are not good.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User