Old 11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

Default Problem with domain name server in intrepid

I just upgraded to intrepid, and there nis one problem:
I cannot set the dns from the gui, AND once set, the dns is forgotten
and has to be set anew
each time rebooting. Thsi is what I do to set dns:
1) open a terminal window:
2)
kjetil@familien:~$ cd /etc
kjetil@familien:/etc$ ls -l resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2008-11-06 17:29 resolv.conf ->
/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
kjetil@familien:/etc$ cd /etc/resolvconf/run
kjetil@familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$ sudo pico resolv.conf
sudo: unable to resolve host familien
[sudo] password for kjetil:

In pico i write the line "nameserver 146.83.126.8"
and then writes out and exit

kjetil@familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
sudo: unable to resolve host familien
* Reconfiguring network interfaces...
[ OK ]
kjetil@familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$

Now internet works !

There must be a better way??

kjetil
(absolutely nothing I do from the gui works)

--
"Perhaps there is no such thing as unilateral power. After all, the
man 'in power' depends on receiving information all the time from

Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 PM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

> I just upgraded to intrepid, and there nis one problem:
> I cannot set the dns from the gui, AND once set, the dns is forgotten
> and has to be set anew
> each time rebooting. Thsi is what I do to set dns:
> 1) open a terminal window:
> 2)
> kjetil@familien:~$ cd /etc
> kjetil@familien:/etc$ ls -l resolv.conf
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2008-11-06 17:29 resolv.conf ->
> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
> kjetil@familien:/etc$ cd /etc/resolvconf/run
> kjetil@familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$ sudo pico resolv.conf
> sudo: unable to resolve host familien
> [sudo] password for kjetil:
>
> In pico i write the line "nameserver 146.83.126.8"
> and then writes out and exit
>
> kjetil@familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
> sudo: unable to resolve host familien
> * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
> [ OK ]
> kjetil@familien:/etc/resolvconf/run$
>
> Now internet works !
>
> There must be a better way??
>
> kjetil
> (absolutely nothing I do from the gui works)

Have they changed so much in Intrepid? When I look at my resolve file,
the permissions appears more appropriate and as you see, I am walking out
to the Internet via a router in which all the needed name servers are
listed. In that way, I only need to reference the router as name server.
This has always worked:
////////////////////////////////////////
carl@cjfh3:~$ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39 2008-11-08 17:17 /etc/resolv.conf
carl@cjfh3:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search fiskeryd
nameserver 192.168.0.1
carl@cjfh3:~$
////////////////////////////////////////

--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 11-08-2008, 04:21 PM
CyaniCs

add your local host name to the /etc/hosts file

ex.
192.168.1.x familien

Old 11-08-2008, 04:36 PM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

> add your local host name to the /etc/hosts file
>
> ex.
> 192.168.1.x familien

I think Kjertil's problem was the DNS servers, so I am not sure the above
will help him.
In the resolv.conf you just write as many lines you need:
////////////////////////
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
////////////////////////
However, yiu need to tell us how you connect. If you use DHCP, you
shouldn't need this at all. Please explain more.

Carl Friis-hansen

Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM
"Kjetil Halvorsen"

I finally seem to have solved this problem. I had ubuntu and kubuntu
installed on my
laptop, now I removed all the kde stuff. That by itself didńt solve
the problem. then I removed a lot of configuration files
in my home directory, and that solved the problem.

Kjetil

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 14:36, Carl Friis-Hansen <ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:

>> add your local host name to the /etc/hosts file
>>
>> ex.
>> 192.168.1.x familien
>>

> I think Kjertil's problem was the DNS servers, so I am not sure the above
> will help him.
> In the resolv.conf you just write as many lines you need:
> ////////////////////////
> nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> nameserver yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
> ////////////////////////
> However, yiu need to tell us how you connect. If you use DHCP, you
> shouldn't need this at all. Please explain more.

>>> Have they changed so much in Intrepid? When I look at my resolve file,
>>> the permissions appears more appropriate and as you see, I am walking
>>> out
>>> to the Internet via a router in which all the needed name servers are
>>> listed. In that way, I only need to reference the router as name server.
>>> This has always worked:
>>> ////////////////////////////////////////
>>> carl@cjfh3:~$ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39 2008-11-08 17:17 /etc/resolv.conf
>>> carl@cjfh3:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> search fiskeryd
>>> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>>> carl@cjfh3:~$
>>> ////////////////////////////////////////
>>>

>> --

> Carl Friis-hansen

"Perhaps there is no such thing as unilateral power. After all, the
man 'in power' depends on receiving information all the time from
outside. He responds to that information just as much as he 'causes'
things to happen...it is an interaction, and not a lineal situation.
But the myth of power is, of course, a very powerful myth, and
probably most people in this world more or less believe in it. It is a
myth, which, if everybody believes in it, becomes to that extent
self-validating. But it is still epistemological lunacy and leads
inevitably to various sorts of disaster."
-- Gregory Bateson
Bob Hope - "I love to go to Washington - if only to be near my money."