Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 AM
R Kimber

Default How do I configure my mouse?

How can I configure my mouse buttons?

I have a logitech LX7 cordless mouse with 4 actual buttons and a wheel.

I need the left thumb button (which seems to be recognised as button 8)
to be able to paste from the clipboard. This worked with 8.04, but it
doesn't with 8.10. I can't see any configuration options in
System->Preferences.

Is there a stand alone program that will achieve this?

Or is there a file somewhere to edit?

--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 11-08-2008, 07:13 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2008 02:09 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> How can I configure my mouse buttons?
>
> I have a logitech LX7 cordless mouse with 4 actual buttons and a wheel.
>
> I need the left thumb button (which seems to be recognised as button 8)
> to be able to paste from the clipboard. This worked with 8.04, but it
> doesn't with 8.10. I can't see any configuration options in
> System->Preferences.
>
> Is there a stand alone program that will achieve this?
>
> Or is there a file somewhere to edit?

These might help:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2BLX7
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/201937
refers to:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/173833>
that last has the fixes.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:38 PM
R Kimber

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 12:13:16 -0800
NoOp wrote:

> On 11/08/2008 02:09 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> > How can I configure my mouse buttons?
> >
> > I have a logitech LX7 cordless mouse with 4 actual buttons and a
> > wheel.
> >
> > I need the left thumb button (which seems to be recognised as
> > button 8) to be able to paste from the clipboard. This worked with
> > 8.04, but it doesn't with 8.10. I can't see any configuration
> > options in System->Preferences.
> >
> > Is there a stand alone program that will achieve this?
> >
> > Or is there a file somewhere to edit?
> >

> These might help:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2BLX7
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/201937
> refers to:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/173833>
> that last has the fixes.

Thanks for responding.

Unless I've misunderstood the above, they refer to getting the buttons
to be recognised. My problem is that the button is recognised (and,
indeed in Firefox it works as 'back to previous page'), but I want to
get it to work across all applications as 'paste from the clipboard'.

It all worked fine in 8.04

I've been looking at imwheel, but the documentation is (to me)
incomprehensible. I can't find any statement, e.g., as to what the
various fields in imwheelrc represent, and what format the actions I
need (e.g. paste) take.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber