Old 11-08-2008, 08:52 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default error in upgrading

I have a small annoying problem while upgrading ubuntu hardy.
As I don't want to upgrade to Intrepid, due to the many problems a.o.
with nvidia (I have an old Geforce video-card) I want to keep hardy updated.
After what problems with installing nspluginwrapper (thanks Noop)flash
works without a problem in firefox.
However, every time I use the upgrade-manager, it comes back with:
"subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
It than tries to correct this by again installing flash-plugin-nonfree,
it saya flas-plugin is installed (true), it then encounters an illegal
option (-n) and stops, telling me again there is the error -1.
Sorry for the long explanation as it is only 'annoying' but I would like
to solve it.
system: AMD-64, GEforce 4000 ubuntu hardy kernel 2-6-24-19.
Can anybody give some help how to correct this?
joep

Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2008 01:52 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I have a small annoying problem while upgrading ubuntu hardy.
> As I don't want to upgrade to Intrepid, due to the many problems a.o.
> with nvidia (I have an old Geforce video-card) I want to keep hardy updated.
> After what problems with installing nspluginwrapper (thanks Noop)flash
> works without a problem in firefox.
> However, every time I use the upgrade-manager, it comes back with:
> "subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
> It than tries to correct this by again installing flash-plugin-nonfree,
> it saya flas-plugin is installed (true), it then encounters an illegal
> option (-n) and stops, telling me again there is the error -1.
> Sorry for the long explanation as it is only 'annoying' but I would like
> to solve it.
> system: AMD-64, GEforce 4000 ubuntu hardy kernel 2-6-24-19.
> Can anybody give some help how to correct this?
> joep

Found a bug:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/231939>

I'll see if I can figure out a solution for you shortly.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

NoOp schreef:
> On 11/08/2008 01:52 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> I have a small annoying problem while upgrading ubuntu hardy.
>> As I don't want to upgrade to Intrepid, due to the many problems a.o.
>> with nvidia (I have an old Geforce video-card) I want to keep hardy updated.
>> After what problems with installing nspluginwrapper (thanks Noop)flash
>> works without a problem in firefox.
>> However, every time I use the upgrade-manager, it comes back with:
>> "subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
>> It than tries to correct this by again installing flash-plugin-nonfree,
>> it saya flas-plugin is installed (true), it then encounters an illegal
>> option (-n) and stops, telling me again there is the error -1.
>> Sorry for the long explanation as it is only 'annoying' but I would like
>> to solve it.
>> system: AMD-64, GEforce 4000 ubuntu hardy kernel 2-6-24-19.
>> Can anybody give some help how to correct this?
>> joep
>>

> Found a bug:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/231939>
>
> I'll see if I can figure out a solution for you shortly.

Noop, Thanks.
I looked at the link you furnished. In my case, however, the error is
seemingly caused by a non-existing option in nspluginwrapper, although I
cannot find the script, calling nspluginwrapper.
It says After the line:" Flash Plugin installed."
"invalid option -n"
" nspluginwrapper, configuration tool. Version 1.0.0"

"usage: ......."

Of course without the quotes and with the standard nspluginwrapper
helptext on the dots.
Hereafter the mentioned dpkg error message.
Hope this gives some extra information.
Joep

Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2008 03:16 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> NoOp schreef:
>> On 11/08/2008 01:52 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>>> I have a small annoying problem while upgrading ubuntu hardy.
>>> As I don't want to upgrade to Intrepid, due to the many problems a.o.
>>> with nvidia (I have an old Geforce video-card) I want to keep hardy updated.
>>> After what problems with installing nspluginwrapper (thanks Noop)flash
>>> works without a problem in firefox.
>>> However, every time I use the upgrade-manager, it comes back with:
>>> "subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
>>> It than tries to correct this by again installing flash-plugin-nonfree,
>>> it saya flas-plugin is installed (true), it then encounters an illegal
>>> option (-n) and stops, telling me again there is the error -1.
>>> Sorry for the long explanation as it is only 'annoying' but I would like
>>> to solve it.
>>> system: AMD-64, GEforce 4000 ubuntu hardy kernel 2-6-24-19.
>>> Can anybody give some help how to correct this?
>>> joep
>>>

>> Found a bug:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/231939>
>>
>> I'll see if I can figure out a solution for you shortly.
>>

> Noop, Thanks.
> I looked at the link you furnished. In my case, however, the error is
> seemingly caused by a non-existing option in nspluginwrapper, although I
> cannot find the script, calling nspluginwrapper.
> It says After the line:" Flash Plugin installed."
> "invalid option -n"
> " nspluginwrapper, configuration tool. Version 1.0.0"
>
> "usage: ......."
>
> Of course without the quotes and with the standard nspluginwrapper
> helptext on the dots.
> Hereafter the mentioned dpkg error message.
> Hope this gives some extra information.
> Joep

Yep. Basically what flashplugin-nonfree is is a script that
automaticically installs flash using nspluginwrapper for 64bit'ers. See:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/nspluginwrapper
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/flashplugin-nonfree
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FlashPlayer9

However, from your error message it sounds to me that something else is
broke, so let's try a few things. From the terminal (in order - one at a
time):

gedit
[note: leave gedit open & use gedit to copy and past the output of the
following into the text editor so that you can keep a record of the
actions & errors. You can then paste from there to here if you run into
issues or get errors.]

sudo apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get check
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
sudo apt-get check

Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

NoOp schreef:

> Yep. Basically what flashplugin-nonfree is is a script that
> automaticically installs flash using nspluginwrapper for 64bit'ers. See:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/nspluginwrapper
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/flashplugin-nonfree
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FlashPlayer9
>
> However, from your error message it sounds to me that something else is
> broke, so let's try a few things. From the terminal (in order - one at a
> time):
>
> gedit
> [note: leave gedit open & use gedit to copy and past the output of the
> following into the text editor so that you can keep a record of the
> actions & errors. You can then paste from there to here if you run into
> issues or get errors.]
>
> sudo apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree
> sudo apt-get install -f
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo apt-get check
> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> sudo apt-get check

Noop,
Thanks for your endurance with my problem.
I just came home and read your mail. I will go to sleep first and
tomorrow afternoon I hope to have time to follow your suggestions. I
have however first some urgent business to to attend (although I'm
retired!) and I don't know if I can fins the time.
But as soon as possible I'll report back.
Thanks again,
Joep