Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Stupid Ubuntu 8.10

If I copy (sudo cp -r dirname) a directory to a root directory (where TeX is installed), then I can not use it in ubuntu 8.10.

Any idea how to resolve this problem?

Get a FREE AOL Email account with unlimited storage. Experience Email and instant messaging together - chat while you mail and mail while you chat! Register for your free email account at http://free.aol.com.au

Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Francisco Borges

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 04:42AM -0500, vafa@aol.com.au wrote:

> If I copy (sudo cp -r dirname) a directory to a root directory (where
> TeX is installed), then I can not use it in ubuntu 8.10.
>

> Any idea how to resolve this problem?

You probably have the ownership of the directory set to root, and now
you can't use it as a regular user.

Check the directory permissions:

ls -la /MyDirectory

to change the ownership of a directory or of files use

sudo chown -R vafa.vafa /MyDirectory

(the previous command assumes your username is vafa!)

Cheers,
--
Francisco Borges

Old 11-09-2008, 02:33 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2008 01:48 PM, Francisco Borges wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 04:42AM -0500, vafa@aol.com.au wrote:
>
>> If I copy (sudo cp -r dirname) a directory to a root directory (where
>> TeX is installed), then I can not use it in ubuntu 8.10.
>>

>> Any idea how to resolve this problem?
>
> You probably have the ownership of the directory set to root, and now
> you can't use it as a regular user.
>
> Check the directory permissions:
>
> ls -la /MyDirectory
>
> to change the ownership of a directory or of files use
>
> sudo chown -R vafa.vafa /MyDirectory

Perhaps you mean:

sudo chown -R vafa:vafa /MyDirectory

notice the colon between vafa and vafa vs the period.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Joel Goguen

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 07:33 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> Perhaps you mean:
>
> sudo chown -R vafa:vafa /MyDirectory
>
> notice the colon between vafa and vafa vs the period.
Either one works. The form with a dot is older, but chown accepts it no
problem.

--
Joel Goguen
Bug-free code is a myth.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM
NoOp

On 11/09/2008 07:44 AM, Joel Goguen wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 07:33 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> Perhaps you mean:
>>
>> sudo chown -R vafa:vafa /MyDirectory
>>
>> notice the colon between vafa and vafa vs the period.
> Either one works. The form with a dot is older, but chown accepts it no
> problem.

Perhaps. But if troubleshooting a problem regarding permissions,
ownership etc (such as this thread), I'd recommend _only_ using the
methods and examples listed in 'man chown'.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 09:20 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> But if troubleshooting a problem regarding permissions,
> ownership etc (such as this thread), I'd recommend _only_ using the
> methods and examples listed in 'man chown'.

Thanks for the pointer, I've used the dot notation for a decade and
never noticed that the manpage specifies the colon. NEvertheless, I
never had problem with it.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 11/08/2008 01:48 PM, Francisco Borges wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 04:42AM -0500, vafa@aol.com.au wrote:
>>
>>> If I copy (sudo cp -r dirname) a directory to a root directory (where
>>> TeX is installed), then I can not use it in ubuntu 8.10.
>>>

>>> Any idea how to resolve this problem?
>>
>> You probably have the ownership of the directory set to root, and now
>> you can't use it as a regular user.
>>
>> Check the directory permissions:
>>
>> ls -la /MyDirectory
>>
>> to change the ownership of a directory or of files use
>>
>> sudo chown -R vafa.vafa /MyDirectory
>
> Perhaps you mean:
>
> sudo chown -R vafa:vafa /MyDirectory
>
> notice the colon between vafa and vafa vs the period.

It's nice that you can do that, but I've always used periods...
--
derek

Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 09:20 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> But if troubleshooting a problem regarding permissions,
>> ownership etc (such as this thread), I'd recommend _only_ using the
>> methods and examples listed in 'man chown'.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, I've used the dot notation for a decade and
> never noticed that the manpage specifies the colon. NEvertheless, I
> never had problem with it.

Ditto. The man page needs to be fixed, not users' actions and expectations.
This is _not_ something that can be just deprecated.
--
derek

Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 AM
NoOp

On 11/09/2008 05:48 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> You probably have the ownership of the directory set to root, and now
>>> you can't use it as a regular user.
>>>
>>> Check the directory permissions:
>>>
>>> ls -la /MyDirectory
>>>
>>> to change the ownership of a directory or of files use
>>>
>>> sudo chown -R vafa.vafa /MyDirectory
>>
>> Perhaps you mean:
>>
>> sudo chown -R vafa:vafa /MyDirectory
>>
>> notice the colon between vafa and vafa vs the period.
>
> It's nice that you can do that, but I've always used periods...

$ man chown

Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 AM
NoOp

On 11/09/2008 07:10 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/09/2008 05:48 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
[snip]

>>> Perhaps you mean:
>>>
>>> sudo chown -R vafa:vafa /MyDirectory
>>>
>>> notice the colon between vafa and vafa vs the period.
>>
>> It's nice that you can do that, but I've always used periods...
>
> $ man chown

Sorry, just to follow up & to head off the usual 'it works for me et al':

$ info coreutils 'chown invocation'

states:

<quote>
Some older scripts may still use `.' in place of the `:' separator.
POSIX 1003.1-2001 (*note Standards conformance: does not require
support for that, but for backward compatibility GNU `chown' supports
`.' so long as no ambiguity results. New scripts should avoid the use
of `.' because it is not portable, and because it has undesirable
results if the entire OWNER`.'GROUP happens to identify a user whose
name contains `.'.
</quote>

So a '.' will perhaps work, _but it should be avoided_.