-   -   Help! HD partitioning & installation of (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/189828-help-hd-partitioning-installation.html)

"Ranko Pavińá" 11-08-2008 03:58 AM

Help! HD partitioning & installation of

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM, ppp IT <ppptechnical@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi folks,

I am not a techie and so unfortunately do not understand the lingo, but have a problem and want to ask for your help:

I have a windows based laptop, just downloaded last version of ubuntu (so far have been using off of the CD) and want to install it in a small partition on hard drive.¬*

Could some kind soul help me out in what I need to do so that the current files and applications on the hard drive I have are not written over or lost?¬* I will be using the ubuntu mostly for when I am on connected to the net, so don't want it to take a large fraction of available HD.

Thanks much,
;^)

Peter

When you start installing Ubuntu, you will be given an option to resize your current windows partition (shrink it) and install Ubuntu on the free space. All you have to do is free up some space (don't know how much GB is minimum requriment ...?), reboot and start the installation, follow it and you will get to the step I am refering to. You don't have to be a techie, just understand english and you should have no problems.

Hope I was of some help.

--
Potpis.