Old 11-08-2008, 12:54 AM
ppp IT

Default Help! HD partitioning & installation of U

Hi folks,

I am not a techie and so unfortunately do not understand the lingo, but have a problem and want to ask for your help:

I have a windows based laptop, just downloaded last version of ubuntu (so far have been using off of the CD) and want to install it in a small partition on hard drive.*

Could some kind soul help me out in what I need to do so that the current files and applications on the hard drive I have are not written over or lost?* I will be using the ubuntu mostly for when I am on connected to the net, so don't want it to take a large fraction of available HD.

Thanks much,
;^)

Peter

Old 11-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Nils Kassube

ppp IT wrote:
> I have a windows based laptop, just downloaded last version of ubuntu
> (so far have been using off of the CD) and want to install it in a
> small partition on hard drive.
>
> Could some kind soul help me out in what I need to do so that the
> current files and applications on the hard drive I have are not written
> over or lost?

Make backups of the files you don't want to lose. That doesn't prevent
overwriting of files but if something goes wrong, you can still restore
your files. I really don't trust the capabilities of gparted to resize
the Windows partition because I had two machines (out of 5?) where
resizing failed and the remaining Windows partition was unusable.

If you want to be on the safe side and prevent overwriting of files,
install Ubuntu within Windows. You can do it by simply inserting the
Ubuntu LiveCD while Windows is running. That installation makes a file
for the Ubuntu system on the Windows partition.

Nils

Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 17:54 -0800, ppp IT wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am not a techie and so unfortunately do not understand the lingo,
> but have a problem and want to ask for your help:
>
> I have a windows based laptop, just downloaded last version of ubuntu
> (so far have been using off of the CD) and want to install it in a
> small partition on hard drive.
>
> Could some kind soul help me out in what I need to do so that the
> current files and applications on the hard drive I have are not
> written over or lost?

First of all, create a backup of all your important files and data (such
as stored passwords and the like). Test the backup and very that it
works. Only then start to install and partition.

The Ubuntu installer will offer you a number of options, like
* Use whole disk for Ubuntu (don't do this)
* Use free space (if you have some)
* Resize existing partition (choose this)

There will be a simple slider that allows to set the new partition size.
Ubuntu will then install into what will be freed up.

Read this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
In particular (linked from above link):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
There is a walkthrough with screenshots, thougth they are for version
8.04 LTS. 8.10 looks slightly different, but not so much as causing any
confusion.
Also: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/index.html

And in general:
https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Karl Larsen

Nils Kassube wrote:
> ppp IT wrote:
>
>> I have a windows based laptop, just downloaded last version of ubuntu
>> (so far have been using off of the CD) and want to install it in a
>> small partition on hard drive.
>>
>> Could some kind soul help me out in what I need to do so that the
>> current files and applications on the hard drive I have are not written
>> over or lost?
>>

> Make backups of the files you don't want to lose. That doesn't prevent
> overwriting of files but if something goes wrong, you can still restore
> your files. I really don't trust the capabilities of gparted to resize
> the Windows partition because I had two machines (out of 5?) where
> resizing failed and the remaining Windows partition was unusable.
>
> If you want to be on the safe side and prevent overwriting of files,
> install Ubuntu within Windows. You can do it by simply inserting the
> Ubuntu LiveCD while Windows is running. That installation makes a file
> for the Ubuntu system on the Windows partition.
>

> Nils

Also how big is the hard drive? Before you do this Defragment your
windows so it is as small as possible, when you Gepart the Ubuntu
partition. You want this new partition to be 5 GB or more.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User