Old 11-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Robert Steinmetz

Default apt-get fails with segmentation fault

Running apt-get fails. Below is partial output, it goes down hill from
there. Any ideas?

# apt-get -u upgrade

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

16 not fully installed or removed.

After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Setting up libc6-i686 (2.7-10ubuntu4) ...

Segmentation fault

dpkg: error processing libc6-i686 (--configure):

subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139

--

Robert
Steinmetz, AIA

Principal

Steinmetz
& Associates

Old 11-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 19:35 -0600, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
> Setting up libc6-i686 (2.7-10ubuntu4) ...
> Segmentation fault
> dpkg: error processing libc6-i686 (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139

Which version of Ubuntu do you use?
Did you do an apt-get update before the apt-get upgrade?

FWIW, this seems similar to or the same as this bug:
Colin Watson speculates that the same bug might be in 8.10 (Intrepid),
but they are not sure. If you use 8.10, you might want to add this info.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Robert Steinmetz

Mario Vukelic wrote:

Setting up libc6-i686 (2.7-10ubuntu4) ...
Segmentation fault
dpkg: error processing libc6-i686 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139

Which version of Ubuntu do you use?

8.04 - I was avoiding 8.10 and staying with LTS,

Did you do an apt-get update before the apt-get upgrade?

The problem started with a routine update using update-manager. So yes
there was an update before the upgrade.

FWIW, this seems similar to or the same as this bug:
Colin Watson speculates that the same bug might be in 8.10 (Intrepid),
but they are not sure. If you use 8.10, you might want to add this info.

Similar, possibly the same. The only solution I have found says to
remove libc6 and a whole bunch of dependencies, which looks like it
would leave the system almost non functional.

It seems to be a regression.

--

Robert
Steinmetz, AIA

Principal

Steinmetz
& Associates

Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 19:35 -0600, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
>> Setting up libc6-i686 (2.7-10ubuntu4) ...
>> Segmentation fault
>> dpkg: error processing libc6-i686 (--configure):
>> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139

It's a fairly common problem - less now than it used to be. Just remove
libc6-i686 (you don't need it), complete your install, and reinstall
libc6-i686.

And Robert - please don't post in HTML. I only responded because Mario went
to the trouble of cleaning up your post (well, maybe it was Mario's
computer that went to the trouble, but I tell mine not to read HTML).
--
derek

Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 AM
"Mario Spinthiras"

dpkg --configure -a , remove it , then update , upgrade . worked for me.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Spinthiras wrote:

> dpkg --configure -a , remove it , then update , upgrade . worked for me.

You should, however, reinstall libc6-i686 afterwards - it provides
optimizations for newer processors (read: not-nearly-so-old-as-i386!)
--
derek