Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Larry Shields

Default Sound for Intrepid

*My sound was working, but some how I have messed it up, is there away
to reinstall the default sound that came with version 8.10...???

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 18:58 -0600, Larry Shields wrote:
> My sound was working, but some how I have messed it up,

It would help if you could give *any* hints about what you did to mess
it up

Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Larry Shields

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 18:58 -0600, Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> My sound was working, but some how I have messed it up,
>>

> It would help if you could give *any* hints about what you did to mess
> it up

*Off hand I really do not know exactly what I did to have it not to
work, as I said it was working just fine when I installed
Intrepid...Maybe I had install some alsa files*
*that stopped it from working...??

I was thinking maybe there is a way to reinstall the audio to its
original, when it was first installed...

If not I suppose I will have to reinstall Intrepid again...

Sorry not much else that I can tell you... :-(

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 04:37 -0600, Larry Shields wrote:
> Maybe I had install some alsa files
> that stopped it from working...??

Why? Sorry, I am not of much use here, I am stabbing in the dark

Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Larry Shields

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 04:37 -0600, Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> Maybe I had install some alsa files
>> that stopped it from working...??
>>

> Why? Sorry, I am not of much use here, I am stabbing in the dark

*Why Sorry, because I do not have any info to give, so one might be
able to figure out why I have no SOUND!!! anymore... :'(

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Larry Shields

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 04:37 -0600, Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> Maybe I had install some alsa files
>> that stopped it from working...??

*What I can tell you is this, I looked in my intrepid cd, and saw the
files which it had for pluseaudio, then made sure I have them installed
if I didn't I installed them...

Yet after rebooting, I still have no audio...So it beats me as to what
to do...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Paul Kaplan

On Saturday 08 November 2008 07:09 Larry Shields wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 04:37 -0600, Larry Shields wrote:
> >> Maybe I had install some alsa files
> >> that stopped it from working...??
>
> *What I can tell you is this, I looked in my intrepid cd, and saw the
> files which it had for pluseaudio, then made sure I have them installed
> if I didn't I installed them...
>
> Yet after rebooting, I still have no audio...So it beats me as to what
> to do...
>
> Larry
> *

I had a machine that lacked sound for some users. Turns out that no user was
a member of the audio group. Adding everyone solved the problem.
Paul

Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 07:16 -0500, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I had a machine that lacked sound for some users. Turns out that no
> user was a member of the audio group.

That would be the pulse* group(s)? I once read somewhere during the
alpha/beta phase of 8.04 (Hardy), when pulse was newly integrated, that
this was needed. But ...

> Adding everyone solved the problem.

... on my Hardy install, which was upgraded to Intrepid during beta, no
user is part of the pulse* groups (not even the initial user that was
created by the installer) and they all have sound nevertheless. Weird.
It's certainly worth a try for Larry.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Paul Kaplan

On Saturday 08 November 2008 07:29 Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 07:16 -0500, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> > I had a machine that lacked sound for some users. Turns out that no
> > user was a member of the audio group.
>
> That would be the pulse* group(s)? I once read somewhere during the
> alpha/beta phase of 8.04 (Hardy), when pulse was newly integrated, that
> this was needed. But ...

No...the audio group. There is no pulse group on my freshly installed
Intrepid.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Larry Shields

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2008 07:09 Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> Mario Vukelic wrote:

>> *What I can tell you is this, I looked in my intrepid cd, and saw the
>> files which it had for pluseaudio, then made sure I have them installed
>> if I didn't I installed them...
>>
>> Yet after rebooting, I still have no audio...So it beats me as to what
>> to do...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>

> I had a machine that lacked sound for some users. Turns out that no user was
> a member of the audio group. Adding everyone solved the problem.
> Paul

*I just looked at the Users Setting, and where is should a list of
pulse, pulse-access, I looked at the properties, and checked my name for
each one...

I did not see and group settings for sound...So I add sound in the group
settings, then under Basic settings the Group name is sound, the Group
ID: is 1001, for Larry...

Now I just rebooted, and still I do not have sound...

Thanks guy's for at least trying to help me out here...

Larry
*