Old 11-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Nikolaus Rath

Default What loads the ALSA Kernel modules?

Hello,

I would like to prevent the loading of the ALSA OSS emulation kernel
modules (snd_seq_oss, snd_mixer_oss, snd_pcm_oss). But I really could
not figure out which component is loading them (they are not listed in
/etc/modules or /etc/init.d/alsa-utils).

Can anyone tell me what part of my system is responsible for loading
them, and how I can prevent that?

Thanks,

-Nikolaus

--
»It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that.«

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Nils Kassube

Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> I would like to prevent the loading of the ALSA OSS emulation kernel
> modules (snd_seq_oss, snd_mixer_oss, snd_pcm_oss). But I really could
> not figure out which component is loading them (they are not listed in
> /etc/modules or /etc/init.d/alsa-utils).

It is probably loaded when the hardware is detected. Add the module names
to the file "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" like this:

blacklist snd_seq_oss
blacklist snd_mixer_oss
blacklist snd_pcm_oss

Nils

Old 11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Nikolaus Rath

Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> writes:
> Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> I would like to prevent the loading of the ALSA OSS emulation kernel
>> modules (snd_seq_oss, snd_mixer_oss, snd_pcm_oss). But I really could
>> not figure out which component is loading them (they are not listed in
>> /etc/modules or /etc/init.d/alsa-utils).
>
> It is probably loaded when the hardware is detected. Add the module names
> to the file "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" like this:
>
> blacklist snd_seq_oss
> blacklist snd_mixer_oss
> blacklist snd_pcm_oss

This doesn't seem to work. I added the lines and restarted, but the
modules are still shown by lsmod.

Best,

-Nikolaus