-   -   permanent disk mount in 8.10 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/189423-permanent-disk-mount-8-10-a.html)

11-07-2008 02:46 PM

permanent disk mount in 8.10

In prior releases there was a control system module that allowed one to define a location for permanently mounting a hard drive.* This would allow me to create a symlink to point to a fixed location rather than having the drive living as a block device in /dev/xxx.* The module is no longer in systemsettings.* Is there a gui front end for doing this now?
Paul

Rashkae 11-07-2008 03:09 PM

permanent disk mount in 8.10

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> In prior releases there was a control system module that allowed one to define a location for permanently mounting a hard drive. This would allow me to create a symlink to point to a fixed location rather than having the drive living as a block device in /dev/xxx. The module is no longer in systemsettings. Is there a gui front end for doing this now?
> Paul

I'm a little confused by what you are asking.

Do you want to know how to mount a filesystem at boot so you can symlink
to the files contained on the hard drive, or do you want a method to
give the hard drive a customized device name in /dev.

Karl Larsen 11-07-2008 03:15 PM

permanent disk mount in 8.10

Rashkae wrote:
> pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> In prior releases there was a control system module that allowed one to define a location for permanently mounting a hard drive. This would allow me to create a symlink to point to a fixed location rather than having the drive living as a block device in /dev/xxx. The module is no longer in systemsettings. Is there a gui front end for doing this now?
>> Paul
>>

> I'm a little confused by what you are asking.
>
> Do you want to know how to mount a filesystem at boot so you can symlink
> to the files contained on the hard drive, or do you want a method to
> give the hard drive a customized device name in /dev.

I think he wants to have a disk mounted by fstab at boot, but it
seems he is not sure what he wants, or no-one wants to explain how to do
that :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

11-07-2008 03:25 PM

permanent disk mount in 8.10

mount at boot (or kde launch)

Joe Burgess 11-07-2008 03:36 PM

permanent disk mount in 8.10

I assume there is a GUI to do this somewhere, but pretty much you can do
it with your /etc/fstab file. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab
has a good article on how to mount drives automatically with fstab. It
isn't too hard, though just out of curiosity does anyone know of a good
GUI for this?

Rashkae 11-07-2008 03:40 PM

permanent disk mount in 8.10

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> mount at boot (or kde launch)

Search this list for subject: "How do I permanently mount my 137 GB HD
to my Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop" started on Oct. 30th.

There were several great suggestions made for GUI programs that can do
this, and I provided instructions for manually modifying /etc/fstab.

NoOp 11-07-2008 05:27 PM

permanent disk mount in 8.10

On 11/07/2008 08:40 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
>> mount at boot (or kde launch)

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/pysdm

sudo apt-get install pysdm

After install it will appear in System|Administration|Storage Device
Manger. It's a GUI for mounting drives in fstab.

Added info is here:
http://pysdm.sourceforge.net/