Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
"John Toliver"

Default Problem: Thinkpad T23 recently started pseudo hibernating when previously it worked before...

I have recently started having problems with hibernation.* This is problem doesn't occur each time I hibernate my machine but it has been happening more frequently.* I will select the off button and the screen to select what you wish to do comes up.* I select Hibernate and then the screen blanks and the machine appears to be going into hibernation.* What has happened is after about 30 seconds, or however long it takes to move 1GB of ram onto the HDD, it will then popup the password box asking you to enter your credentials before restoring the desktop.*

If you can imagine a successful hibernation and poweroff, and then pressing the powerbutton again and having the machine reboot and go to the "enter password to wakeup" screen.* Now imagine the whole boot process being skipped and it goes 1. click hibernate 2. screen blanks 3. lots of HDD activity 4. enter password to wakeup"

This is really bad because unless you are expecting to fight with this, you can be rushing, and expect that it will turn itself off and shove it in your bag and go.* After 30-45 minutes of driving you arrive at your destination with a warm brief case and almost dead battery.

My System specs are:
Thinkpad T23
1.13Ghz PIII
1GB Ram
40GB HDD
Hardy 2.6.24-19-generic
--
I've discovered the key to success is to never give up. *You either learn the right way, or you run out of ways to do it wrong. *A win/win situation!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 PM
NoOp

On 11/07/2008 06:17 AM, John Toliver wrote:
> I have recently started having problems with hibernation. This is problem
> doesn't occur each time I hibernate my machine but it has been happening
> more frequently. I will select the off button and the screen to select what
> you wish to do comes up. I select Hibernate and then the screen blanks and
> the machine appears to be going into hibernation. What has happened is
> after about 30 seconds, or however long it takes to move 1GB of ram onto the
> HDD, it will then popup the password box asking you to enter your
> credentials before restoring the desktop.
>
> If you can imagine a successful hibernation and poweroff, and then pressing
> the powerbutton again and having the machine reboot and go to the "enter
> password to wakeup" screen. Now imagine the whole boot process being
> skipped and it goes 1. click hibernate 2. screen blanks 3. lots of HDD
> activity 4. enter password to wakeup"
>
> This is really bad because unless you are expecting to fight with this, you
> can be rushing, and expect that it will turn itself off and shove it in your
> bag and go. After 30-45 minutes of driving you arrive at your destination
> with a warm brief case and almost dead battery.
>
> Any help with this would be appreciated.
>
> My System specs are:
> Thinkpad T23
> 1.13Ghz PIII
> 1GB Ram
> 40GB HDD
> Hardy 2.6.24-19-generic

No problems on A21M, T21, and T30's that I have.

If it just recently started you might review any changes that you've
made recently: updates, power-management etc.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 PM
"John Toliver"

I discovered I can hibernate succesfully by pressing the "Fn" + "F12"
key. Hope this helps someone.