Old 11-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default Inquiry

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 21:59 -0600, Rev. Jason Jay White wrote:
> I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and
> upgrade my desktop computer from Window XP to Linux OS. I went to the
> website and it tells me to download an iso called ubuntu and make a
> bootable CD from the iso. I read the information on the website,
> however, I have not been able to find anything that mentions the Linux
> OS.

In addition to what others have said:
If you use the Desktop CD iso file to burn the CD, you can start your
computer from this CD without installing anything. It will run
completely from CD and change not a thing on your computer. If you don't
like it, you can simply shutdown, remove the CD and be back to normal.
Just note that running from CD is just a demo mode and will be much
slower than an installed system

You might want to read this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/
Especially https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/index.html
Also this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM
squareyes

Rev. Jason Jay White wrote:
> *To Whom it may concern:*
> **
> *I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and
> upgrade my desktop computer from Window XP to Linux* *OS**. I went to
> the website and it tells me to download an iso called ubuntu and make
> a bootable CD from the iso. I read the information on the website,
> however, I have not been able to find anything that mentions the
> Linux* *OS**. Can someone please respond and let me know if this is
> in fact Linux and if I do install it on my system will it wipe out my
> old operating system or will I be able to uninstall it if it turns out
> to be not for me. Also, I have a lot of files on my computer, am I
> going to have to back them up to DVD before installing the above
> mentioned OS and will this OS have the drivers I will need for the
> hardware on my computer? Thank you for your time and I am looking
> forward to hearing back from someone regarding this matter.*
> **
> *Respectfully,*
> **
> *Rev. Jason Jay White*
Hi Jason,
Ubuntu is a variety of Linux, arguably the most popular variety :-)
First you need to burn that iso as an image, Nero will do it. It will
NOT work if you just write that iso file to disk.
When you have burned the iso to cd, open the CD and there should be many
files on it. If there is only one, you have not burnt it as an image.
Second, if you use the whole drive to install Ubuntu all your data
WILL be lost.
Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot will
give quite a bit of information,or
In Google type Ubuntu dual boot and you will get heaps of info.

If you want to make your machine dual boot, I find it easier to
partition drive first, defrag first and then make partitions.
You can download and burn to CD "gparted live" cd, a bootable disk. The
installer will allow you to partition during install, I just find it
easier to do it before install. Make the partition you want to install
linux on ext3 file system.

Hope this helps
Take Care
Winton

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM
squareyes

Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Derek Broughton

Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> Rev. Jason Jay White wrote:
>> *To Whom it may concern:*
>> **
>> *I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and upgrade
>> my desktop computer from Window XP to Linux* *OS**.
>
> This is generally good advice.

Though a little more hand-holding would no doubt have been appreciated :-)
Friends recommend Linux to friends - but they really shouldn't leave it at
that!

> and if I do install it on my system will it wipe out my old
>> operating system
>
> No. It will free up some space from your harddisk and install there.

Or even better for the trepidacious new user, slip the new disk into the
drive _while_ you're running Windows and the "Wubi" installer will create a
file _inside_ your Windows partition and install Ubuntu into that. Then
you can boot into either without trouble.

> Also, I have a lot of files on my computer, am I going to
>> have to back them up to DVD before installing the above mentioned OS
>
> YES!!! However this is not Linux specific.

YES! Any time you are doing a major install - particularly an Operating
System - you should have backups. (I know you said that, but it can't be
stressed enough).
--
derek

Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Knapp wrote:

> When you find that you like Ubuntu you can then install it on your HD.
> You can keep your XP system if you want to. This is called Duel
> booting.

Freudian slip? or deliberate pun?
--
derek

Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>
>> Rev. Jason Jay White wrote:
>>> *To Whom it may concern:*
>>> **
>>> *I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and upgrade
>>> my desktop computer from Window XP to Linux* *OS**.
>> This is generally good advice.
>
> Though a little more hand-holding would no doubt have been appreciated :-)
> Friends recommend Linux to friends - but they really shouldn't leave it at
> that!

Unless they won't be friends much longer :-)

>> and if I do install it on my system will it wipe out my old
>>> operating system
>> No. It will free up some space from your harddisk and install there.
>
> Or even better for the trepidacious new user, slip the new disk into the
> drive _while_ you're running Windows and the "Wubi" installer will create a
> file _inside_ your Windows partition and install Ubuntu into that. Then
> you can boot into either without trouble.

If I might offer one more alternative to consider...look at
VirtualBox.org's website for the Windows version of Virtualbox and
install it virtually to see if you like it.

It's a lot easier to get rid of if you don't like it, it's more
contained, and is great for testing as a sandbox so you can wipe it,
copy it, do whatever without worrying about problems with your familiar
environment.

It will be slower, it's not going to have your full computer's
capabilities (glitches with graphics or sound or USB, although they
should work, aren't guaranteed though). It's also going to take up more
space since you have a "virtual hard drive" file. On the other hand you
won't need to have a mixed environment within the virtual system since
Ubuntu will think it has its' own computer to run in.

But if you want to dip your toes in and just learn it first VirtualBox
is great for that.

-Bart

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Knapp

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>
>> When you find that you like Ubuntu you can then install it on your HD.
>> You can keep your XP system if you want to. This is called Duel
>> booting.
>
> Freudian slip? or deliberate pun?
> --
> derek

A type of dyslexia but very funny. Glad I did it!
--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 11-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Or even better for the trepidacious new user, slip the new disk into the
> drive _while_ you're running Windows and the "Wubi" installer will create a
> file _inside_ your Windows partition and install Ubuntu into that. Then
> you can boot into either without trouble.

On a sidenote:

While I understand Wubi as a rather riskfree way to explore Linux, I
never recommend Wubi or vmware/vbox installations to newcomers.

Imho these msolutions either depend on the power of the underlying
windows or are nice but slow through emulation.

Both are nice and fine for a professional using needing Linux for
occassionally looking at it.
In contrast, I think a serious newcomer has got the right to see Linux
at it's best. Imho this can only happen via installing Linux natively on
the disk(s)

>> Also, I have a lot of files on my computer, am I going to
>>> have to back them up to DVD before installing the above mentioned OS
>> YES!!! However this is not Linux specific.
>
> YES! Any time you are doing a major install - particularly an Operating
> System - you should have backups. (I know you said that, but it can't be
> stressed enough).

Also if you are not doing major installs, you should have backups,
anytime because users make mistakes and hardware fails.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 11-08-2008, 05:11 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2008 06:44 AM, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> Or even better for the trepidacious new user, slip the new disk into the
>> drive _while_ you're running Windows and the "Wubi" installer will create a
>> file _inside_ your Windows partition and install Ubuntu into that. Then
>> you can boot into either without trouble.
>>
> On a sidenote:
>
> While I understand Wubi as a rather riskfree way to explore Linux, I
> never recommend Wubi or vmware/vbox installations to newcomers.
>
> Imho these msolutions either depend on the power of the underlying
> windows or are nice but slow through emulation.
>
> Both are nice and fine for a professional using needing Linux for
> occassionally looking at it.
> In contrast, I think a serious newcomer has got the right to see Linux
> at it's best. Imho this can only happen via installing Linux natively on
> the disk(s)

Umm... have you ever installed via Wubi? If you had, you'd find it
actually works very well [1]. The performance is nearly identical to a
native install, and is only slightly limited by the hard drive
performance. See:

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php#requirements

The biggest problem that I find with a Wubi installation is that the
user becomes so familiar with the Ubuntu install that they start relying
on it regularly... then they want to permanently convert. You then need
to move everything to a regular partition, which as you know can be a
pain & if not done properly can result in data loss.

[1] I tested a Wubi install just to find out what it was all about & was
pleasantly surprised at: 1) how easy it was, and 2) how well it
performed. Try it sometime, you might become a fan :-)

Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Derek Broughton

Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> Or even better for the trepidacious new user, slip the new disk into the
>> drive _while_ you're running Windows and the "Wubi" installer will create
>> file _inside_ your Windows partition and install Ubuntu into that. Then
>> you can boot into either without trouble.
>>
> On a sidenote:
>
> While I understand Wubi as a rather riskfree way to explore Linux, I
> never recommend Wubi or vmware/vbox installations to newcomers.
>
> Imho these msolutions either depend on the power of the underlying
> windows or are nice but slow through emulation.

huh? Do you have a clue what either wubi or the virtual solutions are?

Wubi provides a standard boot into linux on a loopback filesystem, where the
filesystem is a file on the NTFS partition. The only remote hazard here is
that the filesystem is hosted on an NTFS partition. Once installed, it has
no dependence on "the underlying windows" and it is slowed only as much as
I/O to any loopback system might be.

I wouldn't suggest a virtual solution to newbies, but only because the setup
can be a little complicated - there's no reason at all it should be slow,
provided you have enough memory (on my wife's system, Windows on
virtualbox, itself, is as fast as Windows - unfortunately it takes so much
of her memory, that the host Ubuntu system is a pig...)
--
derek