Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default Lost Documents and Photos and desktop files and folders

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 23:53 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Usually, no. Unless you have your data on a separate /home partition
> (as described at
> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/),

That's actually not completely true anymore. Since 8.04, Ubuntu will
leave /home intact on reinstall even if it is not on its own partition.
However, this obviously only works if one does not format the partition
during install, and this requires that the manual partition setup is
used. I can't find any docs for this right now, though, so take it with
a grain of salt

> I would *not* recommend using a CD to update.

Why not, I do it all the time, it's much faster than waiting for the
downloads and saves bandwidth.
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading%20Using%20the%
20Alternate%20CD/DVD>

Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
"Andrew Zajac"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Perhaps not the exact same directory but still there.
>
> His /home files wouldn't just get up and walk around. It seems fairly
> clear he erased his drive.
>
> If he let
>> the partition be reset for a new load then it's all gone and nothing can
>> be done.
>
> That's *NOT* true. There are still data recovery options.

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
or

http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org

Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Karl Larsen

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Perhaps not the exact same directory but still there.
>>

> His /home files wouldn't just get up and walk around. It seems fairly
> clear he erased his drive.
>
> If he let
>
>> the partition be reset for a new load then it's all gone and nothing can
>> be done.
>>

> That's *NOT* true. There are still data recovery options.
>
> Matt Flaschen

The problem is he HAS done something. He has reformat the hard disk
partition, ie: put a new file system on it, and then loaded a whole new
Ubuntu on top of it. The likely result of an expensive disk search will
be fragments of his old data, if anything.

I would say it is wasted money.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Gary Baribault

I have /home on a different partition, and just migrated from OpenSuSE
to Intrepid,. but I took a complete backup of /home to a removable
device before the migration anyway .. If I hadn't Murphy would have
surely formatted it, but since I did, of course, Murphy let me off ..

Life is like that, you can be carefull all of your life, but the first
time you take a short cut, Murphy nails you!

Gary Baribault
Courriel: gary@baribault.net
GPG Key: 0x4346F013
GPG Fingerprint: BCE8 2E6B EB39 9B23 6904 1DF4 C4E6 2CF7 4346 F013

Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

2008/11/7 Roger Benham <rogerbenham2000@yahoo.ca>

Well it can hardly get worse. I downloaded the .iso, burned a CD of 8.10

I installed 8.10 following instructions (I thought).

So now I have 8.10 installed but everything that I had in 8.04 has disappeared. All my desktop documents and folders, all my home folder items such as photographs, pictures, documents.

The disadvantage of digital photos as 14 months worth were in there including those of my wife. I am a selling photographer (not a geek).

Is there any way I can recover what I lost?Yes, just copy them back from your most recent backup.J.R.*

Thanks,
Roger.

Yahoo!
Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on
the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps not the exact same directory but still there.
>>>
>> His /home files wouldn't just get up and walk around. It seems fairly
>> clear he erased his drive.
>>
>> If he let
>>
>>> the partition be reset for a new load then it's all gone and nothing can
>>> be done.
>>>
>> That's *NOT* true. There are still data recovery options.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>

> The problem is he HAS done something. He has reformat the hard disk
> partition, ie: put a new file system on it, and then loaded a whole new
> Ubuntu on top of it. The likely result of an expensive disk search will
> be fragments of his old data, if anything.

You have no idea what you are talking about. It is often possible to
recover most of the data in such cases. How much can be recovered
depends on what was installed on top. The reformatting itself does
basically nothing.

Matt Flaschen

Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 23:53 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Usually, no. Unless you have your data on a separate /home partition
>> (as described at
>> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/),
>
> That's actually not completely true anymore. Since 8.04, Ubuntu will
> leave /home intact on reinstall even if it is not on its own partition.

Thanks for the update. However, I would still not rely on that if you
don't have backups.

> Why not, I do it all the time, it's much faster than waiting for the
> downloads and saves bandwidth.

Simply because /for a newbie/, a CD is much more likely to result in
accidentally reformatting your partition.

Matt Flaschen

Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 20:10 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Thanks for the update. However, I would still not rely on that if you
> don't have backups.

No, absolutely not, I agree.

> Simply because /for a newbie/, a CD is much more likely to result in
> accidentally reformatting your partition.

Point taken.
What I was referring to, though, was the option to burn the Alternate CD
and shove it in while being logged into Ubuntu. A nice dialog will come
up and ask if one wants to upgrade. (Unfortunately, it will also do so
if one uses a [KX]ubuntu CD)

Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 PM
NoOp

On 11/08/2008 12:47 AM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 20:10 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Thanks for the update. However, I would still not rely on that if you
>> don't have backups.
>
> No, absolutely not, I agree.
>
>> Simply because /for a newbie/, a CD is much more likely to result in
>> accidentally reformatting your partition.
>
> Point taken.
> What I was referring to, though, was the option to burn the Alternate CD
> and shove it in while being logged into Ubuntu. A nice dialog will come
> up and ask if one wants to upgrade. (Unfortunately, it will also do so
> if one uses a [KX]ubuntu CD)

And using the CD as you point out works very well (for me it always
has). I typically do this when I want to do a quick update; I tell it to
use the CD only so it doesn't spend hours downloading everything that
I've already downloaded via the CD. Afterwards I then go out and get the
updates that have been made since the .iso was released.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Dave Stevens

On Friday 07 November 2008 07:47:54 am Gary Baribault wrote:
> I have /home on a different partition, and just migrated from OpenSuSE
> to Intrepid,. but I took a complete backup of /home to a removable
> device before the migration anyway .. If I hadn't Murphy would have
> surely formatted it, but since I did, of course, Murphy let me off ..
>
> Life is like that, you can be carefull all of your life, but the first
> time you take a short cut, Murphy nails you!
>
> Gary Baribault
> Courriel: gary@baribault.net
> GPG Key: 0x4346F013
> GPG Fingerprint: BCE8 2E6B EB39 9B23 6904 1DF4 C4E6 2CF7 4346 F013
>

> > Finally, if this is all too overwhelming for Roger, if he is by some
> > chance in Southern California (within a couple of hours drive, give or
> > take) I'm willing to come to him with a machine, a big spare drive,
> > and tools to help out in the spirit of been-there-blown-my-head-off.

snip!

Thanks to all who replied on this one. The matter is now resolved from my
point of view; i.e., I've done all I can and Roger needs to do the rest. I
used foremost with the -t all option (recover all known file types) and on
two drives totalling 650 gigs was able to recover about 100K files, mostly
small and mostly useless. But not all, some were very worth recovering and it
is now up to Roger to wade through the recovered files to see what is worth
keeping.

The gent in southern California is only about 32 hours hard driving from the
little town in British Columbia where Roger's computer is, so thanks a lot!

I certainly learned a lot and am happy to have at least some positive results.
Of course now Roger has ordered a big new drive for backup purposes...

Dave

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933