Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 AM
"Rev. Jason Jay White"

Default Inquiry

To Whom it may concern:
*
I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and upgrade my desktop
computer from Window*XP to Linux
OS.* I went to the website and it tells me to
download an iso called ubuntu and make a bootable*CD from the iso.* I
read the information on the website, however, I have not been able to find
anything that mentions the Linux OS.* Can
someone please respond and let me know if this is in fact Linux and if I do
install it on my system will it wipe out my old operating system or will I be
able to uninstall it if it turns out to be not for me.* Also, I have a lot
of files on my computer, am I going to have to back them up to DVD before
installing the above mentioned OS and will this OS have the drivers I will need
for the hardware on my computer?* Thank you for your time and I am looking
forward to hearing back from someone regarding this
matter.
*
Respectfully,
*
Rev. Jason Jay
White

Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Hi,

wellcome to the world of Ubuntu Linux.

Rev. Jason Jay White wrote:
> *To Whom it may concern:*
> **
> *I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and upgrade
> my desktop computer from Window XP to Linux* *OS**.

This is generally good advice. However Linux will especially be
beneficial, if you do not feel well with your current windows
installation. What is it that you do not like on Windows?

I went to the
> website and it tells me to download an iso called ubuntu and make a
> bootable CD from the iso.

To actually make the iso, have a look here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

I read the information on the website,
> however, I have not been able to find anything that mentions the Linux*
> *OS**. Can someone please respond and let me know if this is in fact
> Linux

It definitely is. For a good introduction to Linux, have a look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

To read more about ubuntu, go to the Ubuntu Website.

and if I do install it on my system will it wipe out my old
> operating system

No. It will free up some space from your harddisk and install there.

or will I be able to uninstall it if it turns out to be
> not for me.

surely, you will be able to either uninstall Windows or Linux or you
might continue to use both.

Also, I have a lot of files on my computer, am I going to
> have to back them up to DVD before installing the above mentioned OS

YES!!! However this is not Linux specific. If your data is on your
harddisk, you will need to have a recent backup! Otherwise you will some
day be without your data. Period. BAcking up to DVD is one possibility.
There are others like external disk, usb flash drives, Tapes....

This applies to any operating system. It is especially important before
doing anything that might potentially mess up your existing
installation, such as installing a new version of windows or installing
Linux to an existing windows installation.

and
> will this OS have the drivers I will need for the hardware on my
> computer?

In order to get an answer, you might let us know what hardware it is
that you want to operate with Linux.

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing
> back from someone regarding this matter.*
> **
> *Respectfully,*
> **
> *Rev. Jason Jay White*

Kind regards and again, wellcome to the world of Ubuntu Linux.

Eberhard

Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 AM
"Jim Rosser"

Ubuntu is a distro, it is a set of tools a window manager all set on top of the Linux kernel so to answer you question yes this is one of many Linux OS's.* If you install it on the entire disk yes it will wipe out all of your old files, however you can test Ubuntu just by booting into the live cd.* All this does is run the OS from ram and does not effect your hard drive in any way.* If you do indeed decide to install Ubuntu it is always a good idea to back up your old files, and there is a way to dual boot your system to run both Ubuntu and Win Xp.* I have not tried it myself but you can also install Ubuntu as a regular program on your Win Xp OS but i do not know the details perhaps someone else can fill you in.

[...]

Jim Rosser

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Knapp

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Rev. Jason Jay White
<jwhite1980@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> To Whom it may concern:
>
> I had a friend recommend that I go to http://www.ubuntu.com and upgrade my
> desktop computer from Window XP to Linux OS. I went to the website and it
> tells me to download an iso called ubuntu and make a bootable CD from the
> iso. I read the information on the website, however, I have not been able
> to find anything that mentions the Linux OS. Can someone please respond and
> let me know if this is in fact Linux and if I do install it on my system
> will it wipe out my old operating system or will I be able to uninstall it
> if it turns out to be not for me. Also, I have a lot of files on my
> computer, am I going to have to back them up to DVD before installing the
> above mentioned OS and will this OS have the drivers I will need for the
> hardware on my computer? Thank you for your time and I am looking forward
> to hearing back from someone regarding this matter.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Rev. Jason Jay White

Welcome to Ubuntu! Ubuntu is one of many types or distributions of
linux. You see, Linux is really the basic system that runs your
computer, the OS or operating system. You are using the Windows XP OS
now. People often call a dist or distrobution linux but really it is
linux plus a LOT of software. Each person or company that creates a
distribution does it with some purpose in mind and chose a set of
software that is the default software for you to use (When you get a
bit more advanced you can easily change this software!). Ubuntu is a
linux distribution made for new users and is a good pick for you and
also currently the most popular pick for most people. If you want to
you can explore other Linux distributions at distrowatch.com.

Ubuntu comes on a CD. You must download all the information to make
the CD and then make it with your Windows XP computer or you can have
Ubuntu send you a free CD if you don't want to make your own. Once you
have downloaded the data and burned your CD you put it in your
computer and reboot. (assuming your computer is set to boot from the
CD player and then the hard drive. IF not check back and we will help
with that bit.) You should now see something about Ubuntu and a list
of choices you can make.

A web page with a lot of helpful information about installing Ubuntu.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

One of them is to run the "live cd". This will boot and run Ubuntu
WITHOUT touching anything on your Windows XP system. It is a great way
to see how well Ubuntu will run on your computer and to learn what it
is like. It will run much slower than it would if you installed it
because CD players are much slower than HD (hard drives). It takes a
lot of people about a year to get used to the new system. Don't expect
it to be just like windows. It is not. It is better but might not feel
that way at first when you are faced with 100s of new pieces of
software.

Software programs that you will likely want to try are; OpenOffice
(like MS office), Firefox (like MS explore) and of course there are a
ton of other things that you can install and play with. I think there
are about 20,000 programs that you can use for free.

When you find that you like Ubuntu you can then install it on your HD.
You can keep your XP system if you want to. This is called Duel
booting. You can pick which system to use when you turn on your
computer. This is great if you have the extra room on your HD. I see
someone else has also answered your question as I type so. I will go
see what they have said. Good luck!

--
Douglas E Knapp