Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Eva Torreira

Default .bashrc_common_to_all_users

Hello everybody,

I have added a source line to my home/.bashrc, but it would be useful to
me to add it for all users. I can do it one by one, but I would prefer to
edit a common bashrc.

Dos a common .bashrc file exist in Ubunt 8.0.4.1?

Where it is?

Thank you very much,

Eva

Eva Torreira

Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas (CIB-CSIC)

Ramiro de Maeztu, 9

Campus Universidad Complutense

28040 Madrid

SPAIN

e-mail: etorreira@cib.csic.es

Tel: +34-91-837 31 12 ext 4436

Fax: +-34-91-536 04 32

Group Web Site:
http://www.cib.csic.es/grupo_microscopia_electronica

Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Peter Sabaini

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:23:00 Eva Torreira wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have added a source line to my home/.bashrc, but it would be useful to me
> to add it for all users. I can do it one by one, but I would prefer to edit
> a common bashrc.
>
> Dos a common .bashrc file exist in Ubunt 8.0.4.1?
> Where it is?

/etc/bash.bashrc

hth,
peter.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 AM
"Owen Townend"

2008/11/5 Eva Torreira <etorreira@cib.csic.es>:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have added a source line to my home/.bashrc, but it would be useful to me
> to add it for all users. I can do it one by one, but I would prefer to edit
> a common bashrc.
>
> Dos a common .bashrc file exist in Ubunt 8.0.4.1?
> Where it is?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Eva

Hey,
The file you're looking for is probably /etc/bash.bashrc
There are also other options for other use cases:

$ man bash|grep -A 20 '^FILES'
FILES
/bin/bash
The bash executable
/etc/profile
The systemwide initialization file, executed for login shells
/etc/bash.bashrc
The systemwide per-interactive-shell startup file
/etc/bash.logout
The systemwide login shell cleanup file, executed when a login
shell exits
~/.bash_profile
The personal initialization file, executed for login shells
~/.bashrc
The individual per-interactive-shell startup file
~/.bash_logout
The individual login shell cleanup file, executed when a login
shell exits
~/.inputrc
Individual readline initialization file

Cheers,
Owen.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Eva Torreira wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have added a source line to my home/.bashrc, but it would be useful to
> me to add it for all users. I can do it one by one, but I would prefer
> to edit a common bashrc.
>
> Dos a common .bashrc file exist in Ubunt 8.0.4.1?
> Where it is?

/etc/bash.bashrc

man bashrc . It's really not that hard.

Matt Flaschen

Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Eva Torreira wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I have added a source line to my home/.bashrc, but it would be useful to
>> me to add it for all users. I can do it one by one, but I would prefer
>> to edit a common bashrc.
>>
>> Dos a common .bashrc file exist in Ubunt 8.0.4.1?
>> Where it is?

>/etc/bash.bashrc
>
>man bashrc . It's really not that hard.

Sorry. Obviously that's