Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Default Machine Hangs

Hello,

For some unknown reasons, I observed that my machine hangs very frequently when using some GUI based
3D party software.

Is there any way to kill the jobs. After hanging, I am unable to go to command line using ALT-F2 also. All the

time, I have to resort to classical brute force i.e. Reboot the machine.

So far, I was under the impression that hanging was the add-on feature of windows OS only.

Thanks.
csv
*

Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 AM
"Garry Burgess"

try cntr-alt-backspace to reset gnome, or else cntrl-alt-F2 to leave gnome into terminal.

For some unknown reasons, I observed that my machine hangs very frequently when using some GUI based

3D party software.

Is there any way to kill the jobs. After hanging, I am unable to go to command line using ALT-F2 also. All the

time, I have to resort to classical brute force i.e. Reboot the machine.

So far, I was under the impression that hanging was the add-on feature of windows OS only.

Thanks.
csv
*

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")-(")

Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

try cntr-alt-backspace to reset gnome, or else cntrl-alt-F2 to leave gnome into terminal.

For some unknown reasons, I observed that my machine hangs very frequently when using some GUI based

3D party software.

Is there any way to kill the jobs. After hanging, I am unable to go to command line using ALT-F2 also. All the

time, I have to resort to classical brute force i.e. Reboot the machine.

So far, I was under the impression that hanging was the add-on feature of windows OS only.

Thanks.
csv
*

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")-(")

Hello,

I did both the method, but see no response. Machine remains in the hanging mode.

csv

Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Chaman Singh Verma wrote:

[...]

I didn't understand your solution. Connecting local machine with SSH !

csv

Old 11-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 20:48:02 +0530, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Darius <darius@webz.lt> wrote:
>
>> try connect via ssh and restart X
>>

>> Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Garry Burgess
>> <grburgess@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> try cntr-alt-backspace to reset gnome, or else cntrl-alt-F2 to leave
>> gnome into terminal.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Chaman Singh Verma
>> <csv610@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> For some unknown reasons, I observed that my machine hangs very
>> frequently when using some GUI based
>> 3D party software.
>>
>> Is there any way to kill the jobs. After hanging, I am unable to go to
>> command line using ALT-F2 also. All the time, I have to resort to
>> classical brute force i.e. Reboot the machine.
>>
>> So far, I was under the impression that hanging was the add-on feature
>> of windows OS only.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> csv
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I did both the method, but see no response. Machine remains in the
>> hanging mode.
>>
>> csv
>>

> I didn't understand your solution. Connecting local machine with SSH !

Many people have more then one machine, I for instance have 2 desktops
and one laptop at home. When one of the machines hanges you can try to
log into it with ssh from one of the other machines. If that succeeds you
can go looking which process hangs the machine and kill that, or shutdown
the machine nicely with "shutdown -h now". If you can't login with ssh
the only thing you can often do is push the on/off button (and I even had
a machine where that didn't work, I had to pull the power cord.)

Aart

Old 11-07-2008, 06:13 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 20:48:02 +0530, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:

>> I didn't understand your solution. Connecting local machine with SSH !
>>

> Many people have more then one machine, I for instance have 2 desktops
> and one laptop at home. When one of the machines hanges you can try to
> log into it with ssh from one of the other machines. If that succeeds you
> can go looking which process hangs the machine and kill that, or shutdown
> the machine nicely with "shutdown -h now". If you can't login with ssh
> the only thing you can often do is push the on/off button (and I even had
> a machine where that didn't work, I had to pull the power cord.)

If you don't have a second machine you can use to poke around in the
locked up box you can try the SysReq Keystrokes to shut down the
machine gracefully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-07-2008, 06:22 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For some unknown reasons, I observed that my machine hangs very frequently
> when using some GUI based
> 3D party software.
>
> Is there any way to kill the jobs. After hanging, I am unable to go to
> command line using ALT-F2 also. All the
> time, I have to resort to classical brute force i.e. Reboot the machine.
>
> So far, I was under the impression that hanging was the add-on feature of
> windows OS only.

As a side note to other's comments - is it your video card or CPU
overheating when it's working hard that might be causing your issue?

I'd check your cooling fans and remove the dust bunnies, and maybe see
if leaving the side off and a large fan blowing on your unit makes the
issue go away... Not that that's a permanent fix, but it might be
enlightening.

HTH

Brian