FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 AM
"Jonathan D. Armendariz"
 
Default Audio doesn't play while playing a DVD

Hello,

I can play a DVD movie using Movie Player (Xine) and the video comes up
just fine but problem is that there's no audio whatsoever. Tried poking
around the settings but no joy. If anyone has some suggestions or could
possibly point me in the general direction where I should go I'd surely
would appreciate it.

--
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being
overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely
often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to
pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default Audio doesn't play while playing a DVD

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 19:54 -0800, Jonathan D. Armendariz wrote:
>
> I can play a DVD movie using Movie Player (Xine) and the video comes
> up just fine but problem is that there's no audio whatsoever. Tried
> poking around the settings but no joy.

1) Which Ubuntu version

2) Is there sound in other applications?

3) Is there sound when playing the dvd in other players, like vlc?

2) Which setting for "Configuration experience" do you have in the xine
settings? That's on the first tab. You need Advanced to be able to see
and change the "audio driver to use" on the audio tab. You will probably
have to set it to pulseaudio.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 PM
"Jonathan D. Armendariz"
 
Default Audio doesn't play while playing a DVD

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> 1) Which Ubuntu version

Ubuntu 8.10 - the Intrepid Ibex

> 2) Is there sound in other applications?

Yes actually. For example, I can go to shoutcast.com and click on a
station and it'll play just fine using Movie Player. Flash based like
YouTube no but that may be another matter there.

> 3) Is there sound when playing the dvd in other players, like vlc?

I did manage to get it to work under VLC just now. Turns out there I had
to set to show all settings then under audio/output modules/ALSA
change the ALSA device name to my audio card. One down one to go I
guess. ;-)

> 2) Which setting for "Configuration experience" do you have in the xine
> settings? That's on the first tab. You need Advanced to be able to see
> and change the "audio driver to use" on the audio tab. You will probably
> have to set it to pulseaudio.

Ermmmm I don't think I'm seeing what you're describing. To get there I
click applications, sound & video then Movie Player. Hope that helps a
little better.

--
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being
overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely
often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to
pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default Audio doesn't play while playing a DVD

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 16:36 -0800, Jonathan D. Armendariz wrote:
> Ermmmm I don't think I'm seeing what you're describing. To get there I
> click applications, sound & video then Movie Player. Hope that helps a
> little better.

Oh, I see, I missed the "Movie Player" in "Movie Player (Xine)". So,
what your are saying is that you use the totem-xine player, as opposed
to the default, totem-gstreamer?

I had thought you were saying "I use xine, the movie player".

First of all, may I ask why? Except for (some?) rm files and some (rare)
wmv files, totem-gstreamer works flawlessly for me. For the rm and weird
wmv files I can always use straight xine.

But whatever, nevertheless: totem-xine, by using the xine backend,
relies on xine being configured correctly. And in Ubuntu 8.10 that means
that it must use pulseaudio (if you have that enabled, which is the
default) because it will not get access to the sound device (which
pulseaudio likely has locked).

I had thought that you would have to edit the
file /home/<username>/.config/totem/xine_config to enable pulseaudio,
but I just tried that and it worked by default.
I thought that this would be the case because I had to reconfigure my
xine player (straight xine, that is) for pulseaudio. But then my config
file comes from pre-pulseaudio days. A newly installed totem-xine works
out of the box for me.

So, sorry, no idea then


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-08-2008, 12:15 AM
"Jonathan D. Armendariz"
 
Default Audio doesn't play while playing a DVD

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> Oh, I see, I missed the "Movie Player" in "Movie Player (Xine)". So,
> what your are saying is that you use the totem-xine player, as opposed
> to the default, totem-gstreamer?
>
> I had thought you were saying "I use xine, the movie player".

Apologies if I wasn't clear. It was a late night for me in the first
email. :-)

> First of all, may I ask why? Except for (some?) rm files and some (rare)
> wmv files, totem-gstreamer works flawlessly for me. For the rm and weird
> wmv files I can always use straight xine.

Though now I'll be using VLC for DVD playback I do use totem-gstreamer
for things such as shoutcast and so on. So far it works well for that.

> But whatever, nevertheless: totem-xine, by using the xine backend,
> relies on xine being configured correctly. And in Ubuntu 8.10 that means
> that it must use pulseaudio (if you have that enabled, which is the
> default) because it will not get access to the sound device (which
> pulseaudio likely has locked).
>
> I had thought that you would have to edit the
> file /home/<username>/.config/totem/xine_config to enable pulseaudio,
> but I just tried that and it worked by default.
> I thought that this would be the case because I had to reconfigure my
> xine player (straight xine, that is) for pulseaudio. But then my config
> file comes from pre-pulseaudio days. A newly installed totem-xine works
> out of the box for me.
>
> So, sorry, no idea then

It's all good. Thanks for the help!

--
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being
overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely
often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to
pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org