-   -   ManPages (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/189096-manpages.html)

"Chaman Singh Verma" 11-07-2008 02:13 AM

ManPages

Hello,

How can I install Linux manpages ?

csv

"Amit Joshi" 11-07-2008 02:32 AM

ManPages

2008/11/7 Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com>

Hello,

How can I install Linux manpages ?

Hi,
I don't think you can install manpages. They come with whatever program you install. Mind you, not all programs have man pages. Just try the following format whenever you wanna look at the manpages:

man <nameofcommand/software>

Sometimes the "info" command helps too.*

Amit Joshi

Erik Christiansen 11-07-2008 02:39 AM

ManPages

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 08:43:28AM +0530, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> How can I install Linux manpages ?

sudo apt-get install manpages

And to see what else might be interesting:

apt-cache search manpag | grep manpage

in case you'd like manpages-dev or either of them in Portugese or
Hungarian.

They should be there already, though. In a quarter of a century, I have
never encountered a unix without manpages. Any encountered should be
avoided as unfit for use, I firmly assert. (OK, a bug report can help
cure many an oversight.)

It is unimaginable that there is an ubuntu version without manpages.

Erik

--
A computer is like an air conditioner, it works poorly when you open Windows.

Charlie Kravetz 11-07-2008 03:01 AM

ManPages

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:43:28 +0530
"Chaman Singh Verma" <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How can I install Linux manpages ?
>
> csv

Use Synaptic Package Manager and search manpages if you donīt want
English language. Otherwise, use
sudo apt-get install manpages
sudo apt-get install manpages-dev

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Charlie Kravetz 11-07-2008 03:03 AM

ManPages

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:02:06 +0530
"Amit Joshi" <mckagan@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/11/7 Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com>
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > How can I install Linux manpages ?
> >

> Hi,
> I don't think you can install manpages. They come with whatever
> program you install. Mind you, not all programs have man pages. Just
> try the following format whenever you wanna look at the manpages:
>
> man <nameofcommand/software>
>
> Sometimes the "info" command helps too.

They are installed using apt-get install manpages.
If you need the developement pages, they are installed using apt-get
install manpages-dev.

If you other languages besides English, they can also be installed.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Matthew Flaschen 11-07-2008 03:57 AM

ManPages

Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I install Linux manpages ?

Which man page are you looking for? Most programs (at least cmd-line
programs) install them by default. The manpages package installs other
pages, but I think it's installed by default too.

Some programs have a separate -doc package, which may include man pages.

Matt Flaschen

"Chaman Singh Verma" 11-07-2008 04:12 AM

ManPages

Hello,

I was looking for memset, memcpy etc. Thanks for early reply, I was able to install and
able to use manpages.

Thanks.
csv