-   -   Ubuntu and default Gnome backgrounds (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/189078-ubuntu-default-gnome-backgrounds.html)

Ioannis Vranos 11-07-2008 01:08 AM

Ubuntu and default Gnome backgrounds

Each release of GNOME comes with some default backgrounds. Why are they
not included in Ubuntu?

Is there any easy way to get those backgrounds in Ubuntu 8.10?

Bo Grimes 11-07-2008 02:18 AM

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:08:39AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Each release of GNOME comes with some default backgrounds. Why are they
> not included in Ubuntu?
>
> Is there any easy way to get those backgrounds in Ubuntu 8.10?

Not sure about 8.10, but it'll hardly hurt to try typing sudo apt-get
install gnome-backgrounds and find out.

Ioannis Vranos 11-07-2008 08:52 AM

Bo Grimes wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:08:39AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Each release of GNOME comes with some default backgrounds. Why are they
>> not included in Ubuntu?
>>
>> Is there any easy way to get those backgrounds in Ubuntu 8.10?
>
> Not sure about 8.10, but it'll hardly hurt to try typing sudo apt-get
> install gnome-backgrounds and find out.

Yes, the package gnome-backgrounds is the answer. I wonder why it wasn't
made to be installed by default.

Bo Grimes 11-07-2008 11:07 AM

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:52:50AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Bo Grimes wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:08:39AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >> Each release of GNOME comes with some default backgrounds. Why are they
> >> not included in Ubuntu?
> >>
> >> Is there any easy way to get those backgrounds in Ubuntu 8.10?
> >
> > Not sure about 8.10, but it'll hardly hurt to try typing sudo apt-get
> > install gnome-backgrounds and find out.
>

> Yes, the package gnome-backgrounds is the answer. I wonder why it wasn't
> made to be installed by default.

Space maybe? Many distros used to use the kitchen sink approach. I
remember an early SuSe I used (pre-DVD days) that came with 7 CDs. I think,
especially with live CDs and broadband, the approach is more minimal than it
used to be.

Anyway, glad you got them. I was rushing out the door, and re-reading my
reply it sounded a little curt. I am still using 8.04 (with Linux Mint
icing on top), so I didn't know if the backgrounds were in the 8.10 repos,
but since it wasn't like alsa or somthing I didn't figured it'd hurt to try.

I had recently gone searching for them myself.

"Garry Burgess" 11-07-2008 01:29 PM

Ubuntu and default Gnome backgrounds

very nice.* I was wonderintg the same thing, and now I know how to get those backgrounds.
*
Thanks.

*
On 11/7/08, Bo Grimes <boslists@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:52:50AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Bo Grimes wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:08:39AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> >> Each release of GNOME comes with some default backgrounds. Why are they
> >> not included in Ubuntu?
> >>
> >> Is there any easy way to get those backgrounds in Ubuntu 8.10?

> > Not sure about 8.10, but it'll hardly hurt to try typing sudo apt-get
> > install gnome-backgrounds and find out.
>

> Yes, the package gnome-backgrounds is the answer. I wonder why it wasn't

> made to be installed by default.

Space maybe?**Many distros used to use the kitchen sink approach.**I
remember an early SuSe I used (pre-DVD days) that came with 7 CDs.**I think,
especially with live CDs and broadband, the approach is more minimal than it

used to be.

Anyway, glad you got them.**I was rushing out the door, and re-reading my
reply it sounded a little curt.**I am still using 8.04 (with Linux Mint
icing on top), so I didn't know if the backgrounds were in the 8.10 repos,

but since it wasn't like alsa or somthing I didn't figured it'd hurt to try.

I had recently gone searching for them myself.

(\__/)

(='.'=)
(")-(")