Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Roger Benham

Default Lost Documents and Photos and desktop files and folders

Well it can hardly get worse. I downloaded the .iso, burned a CD of 8.10

I installed 8.10 following instructions (I thought).

So now I have 8.10 installed but everything that I had in 8.04 has disappeared. All my desktop documents and folders, all my home folder items such as photographs, pictures, documents.

The disadvantage of digital photos as 14 months worth were in there including those of my wife. I am a selling photographer (not a geek).

Is there any way I can recover what I lost?

Thanks,
Roger.

Yahoo!
Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on
the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Roger Benham <rogerbenham2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Well it can hardly get worse. I downloaded the .iso, burned a CD of 8.10
>
> I installed 8.10 following instructions (I thought).
>
> So now I have 8.10 installed but everything that I had in 8.04 has
> disappeared. All my desktop documents and folders, all my home folder items
> such as photographs, pictures, documents.
>
> The disadvantage of digital photos as 14 months worth were in there
> including those of my wife. I am a selling photographer (not a geek).
>
> Is there any way I can recover what I lost?

Hi Roger,

If you did a clean install of 8.10 (and performed the step warning you
that "All data on your drive will be lost!", then things are looking
bleak ;(

Hindsight is 20/20 of course - but if you have any sort of electronic
data that you need to keep, you should regularly back up to DVD and a
backup hard drive. Often we tend to learn this lesson the hard way

All that being said, if you are up for some serious forensics, it
might be possible to recover some of your files. I have not done this
in a while, but the general process is this:

1. Do not keep using your hard drive to boot - the longer you do so,
the more of the old files are overwritten!

2. Boot from a live CD (the 8.10 disk should work OK - select "Try
without installing")

3. Mount your hard drive that contained your photos (might be as easy
as right-clicking the volume shown on the desktop, but don't recall)

4. Use a program such as foremost to recover files. Depending on size
of disk, speed of your PC, etc - this process will likely take quite
some time. See this article (particularly update 2) for an example of
running foremost:
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04/howtorecover-and-undelete-text-file-in.html
There's also a bit of chicken-and-egg to watch out for here. Do NOT
recover the files back onto your original drive - doing so will
overwrite files that have yet to be recovered! The ideal scenario is
to use something like an external HD to recover to.

I realize this is just a rough outline, and if you want further
explanation on any of those steps, don't hesitate to ask - there are
others on the list who are far more knowledgeable than I.

Good Luck!

Chris

Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Roger Benham wrote:
> Well it can hardly get worse. I downloaded the .iso, burned a CD of
> 8.10
>
> I installed 8.10 following instructions (I thought).
>
> So now I have 8.10 installed but everything that I had in 8.04 has
> disappeared. All my desktop documents and folders, all my home folder
> items such as photographs, pictures, documents.

I agree with the previous poster that you likely erased your previous
install completely.
> Is there any way I can recover what I lost?

First, for now, avoid using this computer in any way. Anything you
write to the drive could result in losing part of your previous data for
good.

Besides do-it-yourself recovery methods like the previous poster
suggested, you can consider sending your drive to a professional for
recovery.

Make sure they support Linux filesystems.

I hope you are able to get most of your data back.

Matt Flaschen

Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Roger Benham
> <rogerbenham2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> Well it can hardly get worse. I downloaded the .iso, burned a CD
>> of 8.10
>>
>> I installed 8.10 following instructions (I thought).
>>
>> So now I have 8.10 installed but everything that I had in 8.04
>> has disappeared. All my desktop documents and folders, all my
>> home folder items such as photographs, pictures, documents.
>>
>> The disadvantage of digital photos as 14 months worth were in
>> there including those of my wife. I am a selling photographer
>> (not a geek).
>>
>> Is there any way I can recover what I lost?
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> If you did a clean install of 8.10 (and performed the step warning
> you that "All data on your drive will be lost!", then things are
> looking bleak ;(
>
> Hindsight is 20/20 of course - but if you have any sort of
> electronic data that you need to keep, you should regularly back up
> to DVD and a backup hard drive. Often we tend to learn this lesson
> the hard way
>
> All that being said, if you are up for some serious forensics, it
> might be possible to recover some of your files. I have not done
> this in a while, but the general process is this:
>
> 1. Do not keep using your hard drive to boot - the longer you do
> so, the more of the old files are overwritten!
>
> 2. Boot from a live CD (the 8.10 disk should work OK - select "Try
> without installing")
>
> 3. Mount your hard drive that contained your photos (might be as
> easy as right-clicking the volume shown on the desktop, but don't
> recall)
>
> 4. Use a program such as foremost to recover files. Depending on
> size of disk, speed of your PC, etc - this process will likely take
> quite some time. See this article (particularly update 2) for an
> example of running foremost:
> http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04/howtorecover-and-undelete-text-file-in.html
> There's also a bit of chicken-and-egg to watch out for here. Do
> NOT recover the files back onto your original drive - doing so will
> overwrite files that have yet to be recovered! The ideal scenario
> is to use something like an external HD to recover to.
>
> I realize this is just a rough outline, and if you want further
> explanation on any of those steps, don't hesitate to ask - there
> are others on the list who are far more knowledgeable than I.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Chris

I've not used Foremost but I have used Ontrack's tools under Windows
to do pretty much the same thing -- in this case I'd go with "raw" as
the partition type. Up front it probably looks right now to Roger like
he's hit the iceberg. But as long as he doesn't panic, and nothing
further is done to the drive in question, a great deal of that
important "wiped" data will be recoverable to another hard drive or a
removable drive.

Reading the blurb at the provided link, it sounds like Foremost will
get back whatever is there that hasn't been overwritten. I suggest
downloading it onto some removable USB media that can then be mounted
by the "live" bootable CD.

Though the horse is out of the barn, for future reference this is
exactly why having /home exist as a separate mountable partition (or
even mountable partition on a different hard drive) is a very good idea.

Finally, if this is all too overwhelming for Roger, if he is by some
chance in Southern California (within a couple of hours drive, give or
take) I'm willing to come to him with a machine, a big spare drive,
and tools to help out in the spirit of been-there-blown-my-head-off.
NP: nothing

Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> I've not used Foremost but I have used Ontrack's tools under Windows
> to do pretty much the same thing -- in this case I'd go with "raw" as
> the partition type.

Ontrack seems to have some support for Linux filesytems
(http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/linux-file-systems/), which may make
things easier. I don't know if they require you to send them the drive,
or whether they sell software that works well with Linux FS's.

Matt Flaschen

Old 11-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Dave Stevens

On Thursday 06 November 2008 03:42:37 pm Roger Benham wrote:
> Well it can hardly get worse. I downloaded the .iso, burned a CD of 8.10
>
> I installed 8.10 following instructions (I thought).
>
> So now I have 8.10 installed but everything that I had in 8.04 has
> disappeared. All my desktop documents and folders, all my home folder items
> such as photographs, pictures, documents.
>
> The disadvantage of digital photos as 14 months worth were in there
> including those of my wife. I am a selling photographer (not a geek).
>
> Is there any way I can recover what I lost?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger.
>

> __________________________________________________ ________________
> Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo!
> Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com

I'll phone in the AM. Please don't try to fix it.

Dave

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933

Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2008 03:42:37 pm Roger Benham wrote:
>> Well it can hardly get worse. I downloaded the .iso, burned a CD of 8.10
>>
>> I installed 8.10 following instructions (I thought).
>>
>> So now I have 8.10 installed but everything that I had in 8.04 has
>> disappeared. All my desktop documents and folders, all my home folder items
>> such as photographs, pictures, documents.
>>
>> The disadvantage of digital photos as 14 months worth were in there
>> including those of my wife. I am a selling photographer (not a geek).
>>
>> Is there any way I can recover what I lost?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roger.
>>

> I'll phone in the AM. Please don't try to fix it.
>
> Dave

I see now that Roger has a yahoo.ca addy, so is presumably in Canada.
Dave Stevens to the rescue!
NP: nothing

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Karl Larsen

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> [...]
> important "wiped" data will be recoverable to another hard drive or a
> removable drive.
>
> Reading the blurb at the provided link, it sounds like Foremost will
> get back whatever is there that hasn't been overwritten. I suggest
> downloading it onto some removable USB media that can then be mounted
> by the "live" bootable CD.
>
> Though the horse is out of the barn, for future reference this is
> exactly why having /home exist as a separate mountable partition (or
> even mountable partition on a different hard drive) is a very good idea.
>
> Finally, if this is all too overwhelming for Roger, if he is by some
> chance in Southern California (within a couple of hours drive, give or
> take) I'm willing to come to him with a machine, a big spare drive,
> and tools to help out in the spirit of been-there-blown-my-head-off.

Hold everything. First did this user update his older Hardy with
Intrepid? If it was a real update the old files are somewhere on his new
system. Perhaps not the exact same directory but still there. If he let
the partition be reset for a new load then it's all gone and nothing can
be done.

So if you did Update please say so and we can look for your things
that were on Hardy.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Mario Vukelic

Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Perhaps not the exact same directory but still there.

His /home files wouldn't just get up and walk around. It seems fairly
clear he erased his drive.

If he let
> the partition be reset for a new load then it's all gone and nothing can
> be done.

That's *NOT* true. There are still data recovery options.

Matt Flaschen