Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 PM
"Paul Johnson"

Default running 32 bit apps on amd64 version of Ubuntu

I came from Fedora land about 6 months ago, please pardon me for my innocence.

In this Ubuntu 8.04 system, I have the amd64 version installed. Some
programs are not compatible with 64 bit, and so I need to compile the
32 bit version of the program I need. The program is written in C++
and it relies on the wx GTK toolkit.

In Fedora, here is what would happen. There were i386 and x86_64
versions of libraries, and one could install both, and then when
programs were compiled, options were used to determine which version
was used.

In Ubuntu, I am trying to figure out a similar functionalit. In
Synaptic, I don't see an option where I specify that I want the i386
version of wxGTK, for example.

And in the terminal, I don't see output from dpkg or apt-get that
helps me specify that I need the i386 libraries installed. In fact,
the package names don't have the architecture names attached to them
(as they did in Fedora).

$ dpkg -l libwxgtk2.8-0
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
||/ Name Version Description
+++-=======================-=======================-================================================== ============
ii libwxgtk2.8-0 2.8.7.1-0ubuntu3 wxWidgets
Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ runtime)

So, I guess in the ideal case, I'd like to install the i386 version of
libwxgtk2.8-0, and have all of the attendant requirements installed.
Presumably, the'd go into /usr/lib32 and /usr/include32 or some
separate path.

Huh?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 PM
John Hubbard

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I came from Fedora land about 6 months ago, please pardon me for my innocence.
>
> In this Ubuntu 8.04 system, I have the amd64 version installed. Some
> programs are not compatible with 64 bit, and so I need to compile the
> 32 bit version of the program I need. The program is written in C++
> and it relies on the wx GTK toolkit.

OK I don't get it. If you have the source code, and are going to compile
it to run on your amd64 computer, why would you compile a 32 bit
version? It seems like you can compile it for your 64 bit processor,
with the installed 64 bit libraries and everything should be good.

Am I missing something?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> I came from Fedora land about 6 months ago, please pardon me for my innocence.
>>
>> In this Ubuntu 8.04 system, I have the amd64 version installed. Some
>> programs are not compatible with 64 bit, and so I need to compile the
>> 32 bit version of the program I need. The program is written in C++
>> and it relies on the wx GTK toolkit.
>>
> OK I don't get it. If you have the source code, and are going to compile
> it to run on your amd64 computer, why would you compile a 32 bit
> version? It seems like you can compile it for your 64 bit processor,
> with the installed 64 bit libraries and everything should be good.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes. If I compile without taking special precautions, it tries to
compile in 64 bit mode and the program fails because it is not 64 bit
safe. I need to compile with the gcc options that force it to make a
32 bit executable, and doing so requires access to the 32 bit
libraries on which I rely.

pj

Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
John Hubbard

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I came from Fedora land about 6 months ago, please pardon me for my innocence.
>>>
>>> In this Ubuntu 8.04 system, I have the amd64 version installed. Some
>>> programs are not compatible with 64 bit, and so I need to compile the
>>> 32 bit version of the program I need. The program is written in C++
>>> and it relies on the wx GTK toolkit.
>>>

>> OK I don't get it. If you have the source code, and are going to compile
>> it to run on your amd64 computer, why would you compile a 32 bit
>> version? It seems like you can compile it for your 64 bit processor,
>> with the installed 64 bit libraries and everything should be good.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

> Yes. If I compile without taking special precautions, it tries to
> compile in 64 bit mode and the program fails because it is not 64 bit
> safe. I need to compile with the gcc options that force it to make a
> 32 bit executable, and doing so requires access to the 32 bit
> libraries on which I rely.

OK now everything makes sense. I googled installing 32 bit libraries on
64 bit Ubuntu and one of the hits had a link to an Ubuntu forum post[1].
I get an error message that the forum is being updated but you might
check that if no one else gets back to you. I checked my server (64bit
machine) and I do have a bunch of libraries in /usr/lib32/. I assume
that you have made sure that you don't already have the library that you
need. As far as how to compile in 32 bit mode I can't help you.
Hopefully someone else can or you can find it with google.

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790

Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 PM
John Hubbard

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I came from Fedora land about 6 months ago, please pardon me for my innocence.
>>>
>>> In this Ubuntu 8.04 system, I have the amd64 version installed. Some
>>> programs are not compatible with 64 bit, and so I need to compile the
>>> 32 bit version of the program I need. The program is written in C++
>>> and it relies on the wx GTK toolkit.
>>>

>> OK I don't get it. If you have the source code, and are going to compile
>> it to run on your amd64 computer, why would you compile a 32 bit
>> version? It seems like you can compile it for your 64 bit processor,
>> with the installed 64 bit libraries and everything should be good.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

> Yes. If I compile without taking special precautions, it tries to
> compile in 64 bit mode and the program fails because it is not 64 bit
> safe. I need to compile with the gcc options that force it to make a
> 32 bit executable, and doing so requires access to the 32 bit
> libraries on which I rely.

Look into the package 'getlibs'. I think that is what the forum post is
about.