Old 11-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

Default strange sound problem in Hardy

hi everybody,
I have 2 sound cards: integrated Intel and Soundblaster Live
Since 2 weeks, I have a very strange behaviour of the Soundblaster Live

- after each reboot, the sound is perfectly normal.
- after 1 or 2 hours, it becomes crazy: when I play a short sound (1 second),
with aplay, it is echoed about 20 times, and I get :

Playing WAVE '/sound/wav/woow.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
aplay: pcm_write:1266: write error: Input/output error

with mplayer, it is echoed 8 times
with play(sox), it is echoed indefinitely, and I must issue a "kill -9"
idem with totem, gxine, kaffeine
with vlc (ALSA audio output), the sound is normal!

With a longer sound, the 10 first seconds are normal, and then it
becomes garbled (with all players)

- if I use the Intel card, the sound is OK in all cases.

I'm ready to install Intrepid, but before, I would like to elucidate
this mystery.

NB: I saw some bug reports about the pcm_write error message, but what
puzzles me is that I only get it a variable time after reboot!

cheers,
--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
"Michael Haney"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Pierre Frenkiel
<pierre.frenkiel@laposte.net> wrote:
> hi everybody,
> I have 2 sound cards: integrated Intel and Soundblaster Live
> Since 2 weeks, I have a very strange behaviour of the Soundblaster Live
>
> - after each reboot, the sound is perfectly normal.
> - after 1 or 2 hours, it becomes crazy: when I play a short sound (1 second),
> with aplay, it is echoed about 20 times, and I get :
>
> Playing WAVE '/sound/wav/woow.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
> aplay: pcm_write:1266: write error: Input/output error
>
> with mplayer, it is echoed 8 times
> with play(sox), it is echoed indefinitely, and I must issue a "kill -9"
> idem with totem, gxine, kaffeine
> with vlc (ALSA audio output), the sound is normal!
>
> With a longer sound, the 10 first seconds are normal, and then it
> becomes garbled (with all players)
>
> - if I use the Intel card, the sound is OK in all cases.
>
> I'm ready to install Intrepid, but before, I would like to elucidate
> this mystery.
>
> NB: I saw some bug reports about the pcm_write error message, but what
> puzzles me is that I only get it a variable time after reboot!
>
> cheers,
> --
> Pierre Frenkiel

I had a similar problem in Hardy. Turning down the AC97 slider in the
mixer fixed the problem. I have no idea why it happened all of a
sudden.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 11-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Jim Smith

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi everybody,
> I have 2 sound cards: integrated Intel and Soundblaster Live
> Since 2 weeks, I have a very strange behaviour of the Soundblaster Live
>
> - after each reboot, the sound is perfectly normal.
> - after 1 or 2 hours, it becomes crazy: when I play a short sound (1 second),
> with aplay, it is echoed about 20 times, and I get :
>
> Playing WAVE '/sound/wav/woow.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
> aplay: pcm_write:1266: write error: Input/output error
>
> with mplayer, it is echoed 8 times
> with play(sox), it is echoed indefinitely, and I must issue a "kill -9"
> idem with totem, gxine, kaffeine
> with vlc (ALSA audio output), the sound is normal!
>
> With a longer sound, the 10 first seconds are normal, and then it
> becomes garbled (with all players)
>
> - if I use the Intel card, the sound is OK in all cases.
>
> I'm ready to install Intrepid, but before, I would like to elucidate
> this mystery.
>
> NB: I saw some bug reports about the pcm_write error message, but what
> puzzles me is that I only get it a variable time after reboot!
>
> cheers,

FWIW All of the instructions for building PCs that I have or have seen
mention going into the BIOS and disabling the on-board audio if you wish
to use a sound card. My desktop has a Soundblaster Live sound card
running under Intrepid with no problem.

YMMV

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 11-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Michael Haney wrote:

> I had a similar problem in Hardy. Turning down the AC97 slider in the
> mixer fixed the problem.

hi Michael,
I tried to turn down all possible sliders in alsamixer, but
this changed nothing.
You said you had a similar problem in Hardy. Do you have Intrepid now?

cheers,
--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Jim Smith wrote:

> FWIW All of the instructions for building PCs that I have or have seen
> mention going into the BIOS and disabling the on-board audio if you wish
> to use a sound card.

Doing some googling, I found both instructions (disable or not disable in BIOS)
- I don't see why one card should be disabled to use the other.
For example, you can have 2 ethernet cards. Why not 2 sound cards?
- actually, both cards worked perfectly during 6 months, and as I said,
both work perfectly 1 or 2 hours after reboot.
- anyway, I tried to disable the integrated card, but after that my machine
don't boot: stays indefinitely on "checking NVRAM" (apparently a BIOS BUG...)

cheers,
--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 11-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Jim Smith

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Jim Smith wrote:
>

>> FWIW All of the instructions for building PCs that I have or have seen
>> mention going into the BIOS and disabling the on-board audio if you wish
>> to use a sound card.
>>

> Doing some googling, I found both instructions (disable or not disable in BIOS)
> - I don't see why one card should be disabled to use the other.
> For example, you can have 2 ethernet cards. Why not 2 sound cards?
> - actually, both cards worked perfectly during 6 months, and as I said,
> both work perfectly 1 or 2 hours after reboot.
> - anyway, I tried to disable the integrated card, but after that my machine
> don't boot: stays indefinitely on "checking NVRAM" (apparently a BIOS BUG...)
>
> cheers,

Actually all of those instructions assume that one is building a Windows
machine. That surely has something to do with it. I try to only build
Ubuntu machines. (The desktop I referenced is a dual booter cuz my wife
uses it.)

YMMV

Jim

YMMV

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 11-08-2008, 12:48 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Pierre Frenkiel
<pierre.frenkiel@laposte.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Michael Haney wrote:
>
>> I had a similar problem in Hardy. Turning down the AC97 slider in the
>> mixer fixed the problem.
>
> hi Michael,
> I tried to turn down all possible sliders in alsamixer, but
> this changed nothing.
> You said you had a similar problem in Hardy. Do you have Intrepid now?

Due to another problem which has yet to resolved I'm still using
Hardy. I have Kubuntu 8.04 installed.