Old 11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Default Linksys WP54G v4 +WPA

NoOp wrote:
> Wife came home from the recycling center with a Linksys wireless WP54G
> v4 PCMCIA that she picked up for $3.00.
> <http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout &cid=1130276681921&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVis itorWrapper>
>
> Put it in the laptop (ThinkPad T30) and using ndiswrapper and the
> drivers from Linksys I was able to get to card to recognize networks,
> but my Wireless router is set for WPA. Not wanting to lower the security
> on the router to WEP, I googled around and found these links:
>
> 1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=878346&page=2
> 2. #1 led me to:
> <http://phildawson.tumblr.com/post/22267163/how-to-enable-linksys-airconn-inprocomm-ipn-2220>
>
> I downloaded and extracted the Tosiba driver from:
> http://driverscollection.com/?file_id=32880
> Removed the linksys driver (using ndisgtk), loaded the Toshiba WinXP
> neti2220.inf and like magic logged into my router using WPA :-)
>
> Signal strength is 100% around the house & download speeds testing from
> http://myspeed.visualware.com is showing full strenght for my DSL
> connection!
>
> I'm free, I'm free! I can now wander about the house with my new $3.00
> toy :-)

That's brilliant! Well done, sir!
NP: nothing

Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 AM
NoOp

On 11/06/2008 10:34 AM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
[snip]
>> I downloaded and extracted the Tosiba driver from:
>> http://driverscollection.com/?file_id=32880
>> Removed the linksys driver (using ndisgtk), loaded the Toshiba WinXP
>> neti2220.inf and like magic logged into my router using WPA :-)
>>
>> Signal strength is 100% around the house & download speeds testing from
>> http://myspeed.visualware.com is showing full strenght for my DSL
>> connection!
>>
>> I'm free, I'm free! I can now wander about the house with my new $3.00
>> toy :-)
>
> That's brilliant! Well done, sir!

Thanks :-) Also found that uninstalling the linksys installation package
in Win2K (it's a dual-boot) and installing the Toshiba (Inprocomm -
www.inprocomm.com.tw) drivers from the link got WPA working in Win2KPro
as well.

So, anyone with a WP54G *Version 4* in the junkbox: pull it back out &
fire it up as it does work with WPA in both in Ubuntu (hardy 8.04.1
2.6.24-21-generic) and in Win2KPro.

Slight correction to my "I can now wander about the house with my new
$3.00 toy"... should be: only as far as the extension cord will take me;
the A21M has no battery at all & the T30 battery only lasts for about 45
minutes :-( :-)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/6 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> I'm free, I'm free! I can now wander about the house with my new $3.00
> toy :-)

Nice find! Good wifes know where to find treasure in junk. Mine found
me on the side of the road hitchhiking home from the army!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-07-2008, 10:24 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

>Nice find! Good wifes know where >to find treasure in junk. Mine >found
>me on the side of the road >hitchhiking home from the army!

Hehehe I'm not sure which one is funnier...

Why ndiswrapper? Do you know what chipset inside that card?

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/6 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
>> I'm free, I'm free! I can now wander about the house with my new $3.00
>> toy :-)
>>

> Nice find! Good wifes know where to find treasure in junk. Mine found
> me on the side of the road hitchhiking home from the army!

Brilliant story! :-)
NP: nothing

Old 11-07-2008, 05:02 PM
NoOp

On 11/07/2008 03:24 AM, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
>>Nice find! Good wifes know where >to find treasure in junk. Mine >found
>>me on the side of the road >hitchhiking home from the army!
>
> Hehehe I'm not sure which one is funnier...
>
> Why ndiswrapper? Do you know what chipset inside that card?

Because 'Cisco/Linksys WP54G Version 4' uses an inprocomm chipset and is
actually an 'Airconn Inprocomm IPN 2220 Wireless LAN Adapter (rev 01)'
inside the packaging.

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Binprocomm
http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=inprocomm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inprocomm

Apparently it wasn't such a bright idea on linksys' part to use that
chipset & there are no drivers in the repositories that support it.